Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased our 2015 Sienna with smart key. I ordered a brand new smart key fob off ebay after watching a youtube video that shows how to program an additional fob using techstream. Since I have a copy of techstream 14.x on my laptop I loaded it up, but much to my dismay there was no option for "utilities", probably because I was in "offline mode". I guess you have to be connected to the dealership network to program the key?

I called one of our local dealers and they wanted 1hr of labor, $139, to program the key. My questions are as follows:

-Can I purchase a cheap temporary subscription to Toyota's techstream service to enable this functionality and program my own key? I saw something online about needing a professional subscription, whatever that is.

-Can an independent garage with an active techstream account do this procedure? I would think so, but I do not know.

-If you've had this done before, what did you pay for it? I already have the laser cut key insert for the second fob, but needed the second fob.

The FSM and youtube make it look simple, but it seems you need to have a link to the mothership to program a second key.

Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any independent mechanic with access to a bidirectional auto diagnostic tool should be able to program the key fob for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any independent mechanic with access to a bidirectional auto diagnostic tool should be able to program the key fob for you.
Any idea what it would cost to buy that? I figured techstream would do it (since I've used it to program things) but it seems the key program utility is locked out. I just look at $139 and think, if I can buy something that I know will program the key for approximately that amount of money (and help with other things in the future) I'd save the trip to the dealer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any idea what it would cost to buy that? I figured techstream would do it (since I've used it to program things) but it seems the key program utility is locked out. I just look at $139 and think, if I can buy something that I know will program the key for approximately that amount of money (and help with other things in the future) I'd save the trip to the dealer.

Thanks!
They’re around 600ish. If you do a lot of car work and diagnose your own vehicle it’s well worth the money. It works on almost all manufactures. To program the key fob, you do need a PIN number. The PIN number is on the metal tag that comes with the key ring from factory.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Knowing that, I either need to find out if I can get a quick/cheap techstream subscription that will connect with their mothership so I can program my own key, or.. I just have to pay up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Knowing that, I either need to find out if I can get a quick/cheap techstream subscription that will connect with their mothership so I can program my own key, or.. I just have to pay up.

Try reinstalling the techstream again. The software can be finicky and you have to go thru a certain steps to install. I’m guessing your techstream is not install correctly or you accidentally install some updates and it overwrote certain hacked file.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I programmed a key using techstream without connecting to the internet. I intentionally had my WiFi turned off on the laptop so I know there was no connection.

·
Registered
40 Posts
On my '11 LE I was able to program my non-smart key using a cracked version of techstream widely found online. It did not require being online, I did use version 12.x or 13.x, I don't remember which exactly. I have found that trying different versions of techstream gives different results. Some versions are completely useless and simply crash out when attempting to do anything. Others only have partial functionality with some options missing or broken. I recommend trying a reinstall of the software and other older versions, you can also try different versions of the drivers for the techstream cable. It's a frustrating process but if you find the combination that works it can be quite useful and should work to program your new smart key.

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
I'm waiting for the silver smart fob to arrive that I ordered the other day. If I can't figure out how to make Techstream work, I may go this route as suggested by another member: https://tomskey.com/

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
SOLVED. Changing the version of Techstream allowed me to program the new key very easily. As a couple of you suggested, I did NOT need to be connected to anything!

Originally, I was using Techstream 14.x on a Windows 7 32-bit laptop and when I navigated to Body/electrical > Smart Key, it simply never displayed the "utility" button to allow for programming.

I actually had an older Windows XP 32-bit laptop with Techstream 7.x installed so I gave it a shot. In fact, it would only let me select 2013 as the newest model of Sienna (ours is a 2015) but I figured why not give it a go. I loaded it up and sure enough there was a "utility" button.

I selected "smart code registration" and then simply followed the on-screen instructions, which were very clear. I registered my new key without any dealer subscription (sorry I'm used to Honda doing this!) and we're good to go.

·
Registered
39 Posts
SOLVED. Changing the version of Techstream allowed me to program the new key very easily. As a couple of you suggested, I did NOT need to be connected to anything!
I'm in negotiations to buy a 2015 XLE, with 77k, with push to start. It only comes with one FOB and the dealer is unwilling to throw in another FOB. I have found them online for $150-160. How did you connect the software, a Bluetooth ODB2 adapter? Also, did you have the emergency key cut?

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
Techstream is a laptop app, and you'll need a Mongoose knock-off cable to connect to the OBD-II port.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm waiting for the silver smart fob to arrive that I ordered the other day. If I can't figure out how to make Techstream work, I may go this route as suggested by another member: https://tomskey.com/
I don't have a laptop, so I was intrigued by your link. I watched the videos and rented the v2 of his programmer for my 2012. It totally worked! I only received a single key and fob with my CPO purchase and the Toms device allowed me to erase all but my current key/fob and then program in new ones. Nice deal for $50.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a DIY video on programming keys. This is on a Camry but same process for Sienna.
You can get the cable on Amazon or eBay at the links below:
Data Cable/Software: https://amzn.to/2LDQaCr
Other China Options (cheaper/slow shipping): https://ebay.to/2qMfZcq

Also for the smart keys on Toyota, you need a virgin key that is brand new and never programmed. Something about security and validation where Techstream need to talk to the mothership needed to program used keys.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In my case, when I purchased the vehicle used, I got one fob and two pre-cut emergency keys. So I just had to purchase a new fob and program it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a procedure for my 2006 Sienna where by you open the doors and door locks in a sequence, and turn the key to different positions etc.. and the key is programmed into the computer. Perhaps that is available for 2015 ..
There is a service that comes to you and programs them - also ACE hardware programs the keys..

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a procedure for my 2006 Sienna where by you open the doors and door locks in a sequence, and turn the key to different positions etc.. and the key is programmed into the computer. Perhaps that is available for 2015 ..
There is a service that comes to you and programs them - also ACE hardware programs the keys..
not anymore, all modern Toyota cars use techstream for door lock programming.

·
Registered
399 Posts
One of our two remotes is acting up for some time now and am thinking of replacing it. Does the rekey process work on (push button FOB's as well? If it does then do I need to have Windows XP or is Win10 an option too?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts