Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 2010 Sienna LE with 198k miles & used it to move states & has been great. I've decided to keep it :)

I am now at 202k and have been tackling maintenance. Now that i've gotten coolant, brake fluid & transmission fluid sorted, I am digging deeper & was hoping for some clarification on a few hot topics:

1) The water pump; Is it true that they go out every 90k miles or so? And is it really an engine out job? So far no drips or leaks. I have zero record of this being done

2) Is the FWD version of my van safe from the VVTi oil line explosion?

3) Does the 2010 have issues with the two oil lines underneath randomly exploding?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Welcome to the forum. ( I am from Canada and some 'recalls' etc will very.)
#1. They are not bad and go every 90K. It is not a engine out job at all. I have done some on the second GEN. Never pulled the engine.
#2. There is a updated hose for the VVTI. I think for your 2010.
#3. Oil cooler lines are on all 'Canadian models' and some US models with towing package. IF it has the 2 lines that are rubber then yes the update part is metal lines.

I would register your vehicle with Toyota and find if any outstanding recalls or updates are outstanding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the clarification, you have put my mind at ease.

I see some seepage at the power steering rack, but no major drips; i'll be keeping an eye on that.

Just signed up on Toyota's website & the van is clear of outstanding recalls.

Interesting to see what was done so far. An axle seal was done at 46k miles. And the recall for the shifter & spare tire done at 146K.

·
Registered
662 Posts
1) Should be on your list to replace as preventative maintenance as well as the radiator and radiator hoses at 200k.
2) Toyota may have used the updated metal hose by 2010, but the only way to confirm is a visual check.
Summary of VVT-i oil line failure
3) A visual check will confirm if you even have the oil cooler and if it's been updated. If not replace soon with the updated all metal part at avoid catastrophe.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I second @supra129's suggestion, with an asterisks. You don't HAVE to replace the radiator/hoses. However, you should carefully inspect the fittings where the transmission cooler lines go into the radiator. Any wet or oily residue is grounds for replacement. Additionally, keep a close (weekly) eye on the coolant level. If it's dropping, you likely have a leak. If you ever see the engine temp climb above half, immediately pull over and have the van towed to a mechanic. If you regularly travel long distances, that's impractical, hence the suggestion of preventative replacement.

As for the water pump, the early 2nd-gen vans with the 3.3L have a timing belt and water pump that need to be changed every 100k miles. The later 3.5L models have a timing chain which mostly never needs replacement but a water pump which can fail in as little as 60k miles (rare) or as much as a few hundred thousand miles. The nice thing about it is that it often doesn't "fail" (catastrophically). It often starts to weep. Inspecting a couple times per year is probably sufficient. Occasionally it fails other ways (no heat, overheating, etc.), and very rarely will it fully grenade, dumping cooling everywhere but it's probably fine to push it to higher intervals than 100k.

In theory, the VVTI line issue is only 2007/2008 model years.

The PS rack is prone to leaks/failures. It can have a slow internal leak or it can have a large leak. Occasionally, a leak will stop leaking by doing a fluid exchange. If your rack boots are torn, it's typically slow-leaking inside the boots, which disintegrates them over time. Boot replacement and keeping the fluid topped off is a perfectly adequate "fix" for the problem. Mine has been in this condition plus some minimal fluid on fittings for about 60k miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts