Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

My sister has a 2014 (maybe a 2015?) that has no roof rails. I am looking at some (bare rack) systems and not having much luck in finding something that is going to work.
I was looking at the Malone VersaRail Bare Roof Cross Rail System and even though it's universal Malone says it's not compatible which seems odd to me being it's using suction cups and straps through the door.

Anyone got a good semi-cheap solution they're using?

Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wonder if you can add the roof rails? I found a salvage yard that had the roof rails with the crossbars when i was searching for just crossbars for my rails. They were only asking $100 for the entire thing.

·
Super Moderator
4,419 Posts
The understanding is that the L models (no roof rails) also lack the reinforcement plates at the roof rib corners that the ends of the rails bolt to, and that provide additional structural integrity. So adding any kind of roof rack could, in concept, put you at risk for a deformed or damaged roof outer skin sheet metal. That said, if you keep the load sensible and well distributed, you might get away a suction cup and strap system. Adding a 'factory' bars system would be tough, as there's reportedly nothing under the skin to bolt to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh man :(

light weight will be good - they don't plan to use it for anything heavy (snowboards and maybe a small box or bag for sleeping bags / pillows).

Thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
OP, I've looked into adding roof rails before, and actually have a set I bought from a junkyard with the intention of adding the rails myself. It would be a job, but not impossible. There are two supports that would need to be added to the rear where the rails would attach to the roof structure. Toyota does list these with their own part numbers, though I honestly haven't asked my dealer about price or availability. Nor do I know how they are attached. I keep wanting to look at a 3rd gen in the junkyard to see what's involved and take some measurements, but one hasn't shown up locally for me to investigate. The forward attachments should align with one of the structural roof cross members already in place.

If/when I do get around to tackling this job I'll be sure and document the process. I honestly don't think it would be that big of a deal to create a solid mounting surface for the roof rails as long as one had some decent tools and fabrication skills. Anyway, please document if you decide to take on this project before me. :)

Another option to look into may be the soft sided roof bags? I've personally never owned one, but they seem to get decent reviews.

-Kevin

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had an old $40 universal roof rack mounted on three different vehicles. The last one was my 99 sienna. The only change was the shape of the hook for the pinch weld under the door or rear window weatherstrip. Made the hooks myself. I actually had a Toyota roof rack for my Sienna but it's too narrow for both my kayaks and I didn't want to pull the headliner, drill holes, weld on the reinforcements and wait for it to rust.
similar to my rack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts