Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you recommend dropping the transmission pan if you've never done it before? And, how do you clean it?

oO Khanh Oo,

Are you planning on doing this procedure yourself of take it to a mechanic/stealership to get done?

There are a few approaches.
(1) Drain and fill run it for a month and then drain and fill again.

(2) Drain the fluid, remove the pan and filter/strainer and then clean the pan and add new fluid.
Then repeat the process in 12 months time.

(3) Pay someone to do a flush and not clean the pan and replace the strainer.

How long do you plan on keeping the car?

I think the pan and stainer should be cleaned. I'm sure there is a lot of buildup on the tranny pan. In your case I think I would do a drain and fill first and then do another drain and fill 30-60 days later but this time after the drain, I would drop the pan an change the strainer and gasket and then refill with fresh fluid.

Regards, JC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take it to a transmission shop,stay away from the Mclube places. I have been rebuilding transmissions for over 25 years and the proper way is to remove the pan , change the filter and flush the system.When doing a flush do not use a flush machine,just remove the return cooler line and run till the fluid is red.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just bought a 98 sienna(178K miles) and the transmission fluid is dark brown, not red at all, quite dirty....Do you recommend the same procedure as last post? Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If the fluid has never been changed in 120,000 miles and you are not having any transmission problems I would just drain fluid in the pan at oil change intervals for the next 40,000 miles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts