Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am deciding between these 2 options today and really need some feedback. Although I really thought I wanted and needed the Awd, the concern over the run flat tires has me rethinking this decision? The biggest concern is obviously the shorter lifespan of the run flat, but I'm also now concerned about the "ride". Thoughts anyone?..

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I have the 2008 AWD and I switched to conventional tires after 12K miles. I punctured the run-flat and they told me it had to be replaced, it can't be repaired. I bought one matching new rim, kept the best of the old tires for a spare, and bought 4 new Goodyear Assurant Triple Treads. Although I have to carry the spare in the rear behind the last row seats I have never regretted switching to conventionals. There are more tire choices, the tire quality is better, wear is better, gas mileage is better, handling and traction are better. I'm looking at Yokohama AVID ENvigors for my next set.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2011 LE AWD. I have a love/hate relationship with the AWD. I love being able to launch off the line without the tires squealing, even around corners! I love driving up into the Mountains for a ski trip without worry (I live in Denver). I hate that the AWD forces me to have Run Flat tires. The AWD does not have a spare -- though my wife who drives it 90% of the time would have to call someone to put the spare on, if there was one. I am sitting at 24,000 miles, the tires are bald, and the run-flat choices are pretty sparse. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see if they offer some kind of tread-life warranty. 24k is pretty pathetic for tread life. I'll update tomorrow whether the love or hate side wins.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Do you live in an area that front wheel drive just wont do? I live in an area that receives a lot of snow (Northern New York) and have and excellent results with a fwd and snow tires. I could not justify the run flats (or carrying the spare inside), extra maintenance, and reduced gas mileage. Just my 2c. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In case anyone else stumbles upon this thread:

I have had numerous 4WD and AWD cars. My 2008 FWD Sienna replaces an AWD Previa.

My experience is that for winter driving a FWD car with 4 ice tires (Bridgstone Blizzack or equivalent) will run rings around (and be much safer than) an AWD with all season tires.

My suggestion: Get a FWD car, and get a set of Blizzaks mounted/balanced on an extra set of steel wheels (get hubcaps if you need them) without tire pressure monitors. You have to store the off season tires/wheels, but it is easy enough to switch. In the winter the tire pressure light will be lit. The money you save on AWD, fuel mileage, maintenance etc is well worth it, and you will need the blizzaks anyway even if have AWD. I am a call fireman who goes out in the worst weather. I also drive cross country in winter with folks spinning out all around me and with good tires I just weave around them and continue on my way. I have NEVER wished I had AWD with my Sienna. As a reference, my other current cars are 4wd F350 and and AWD Subaru.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greatdanechauffer is spot on!!!! I did exactly the same with my 2009. Better ride better handling etc!!! And less expensive then run flats!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Connecticut and I use my Sienna to tow my boat. I went with the FWD model to avoid the run flat tire issues and simply use good snow tires during the winter on all four wheels. We go up north to ski country and drive in lots of snow and it works great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It depends on where you live and where you wanna go with your van. And also what your budget is... I went to mammoth couple of months ago to snow board on a 2014 sienna le and I couldn't drive anywhere cause I had zero traction...
so I got me a 2015 sienna limited awd...oh and I swapped my 18" run flats for v12 hankook with 20"wheels. Looks hella good and drives hella good...

·
Registered
3 Posts
GreatDaneChauffer, just FYI, I had Yokohama AVID ENvigors on my Accord.

Everything was OK except the tire was terrifying on grooved pavement, the car felt unstable and jumped all over the place at normal highway speed. When I was done with that set, I switched to something else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts