Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am making a slow left hand turn my 2015 sienna will make a clunking noise. It's only on left hand turns and it only happens randomly while driving. Most left hand turns don't produce this noise. Video of the noise here:

Any ideas what it could be? Bad tie rod?

·
Registered
913 Posts
CV joint problem.

Intermediate steering shaft.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Could also be the wheel bearings.. Seinna is notorious for bad wheel bearing.. Get toyota dealer bearings.. No amazon or ebay.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
This sure sounds like the half-shaft problem. First dealer said "brake shoes", which was obviously stupid. Second said "CV joints", replaced them under extended warranty; nope. Back it went and this time they did the half-shafts and that fixed it. I told them "half-shafts" first visit, so I don't feel at all bad about the free CV joints!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Lots of unclear terminology here.

CV joints are part of the axle "assembly" that comes from the transmission and ends at the wheel hub. These assemblies are also called drive axles or axles, or sometimes drive shafts or half-shafts. When a CV joint goes bad, the whole axle assembly on the affected side is replaced, in one piece. Rarely, if a CV joint's boot is damaged and there are no symptoms, the boot can be replaced. Clicking sounds, proportional to speed, are the classic symptom of a worn CV joint. Another symptom can be vibration on the highway, but vibration has many possible causes. As mentioned above, it could be a bearing; bearings often growl or hum in a rumbling, low pitch, at moderate speeds.

Pictured is a driver-side axle assembly from a Gen-1 Sienna. The passenger-side axle is a little different, and a bit longer, with a tricky bearing and bracket holding it in place under the engine. Axles.jpg

Wasn't the steering intermediate shaft issue resolved by 2015?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts