Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Sienna owners,

I have a 2011 Sienna 2.7 L FWD with ~55 K miles. For at year or so there has been a problem with what sounds like noisy valve lifters on cold startup for 1-2 seconds despite careful use of 0-20W synthetic oil and regular oil/filter changes. I was not clearly cognizant of the problem initially because starting the engine when the windows are up (always) muffles the sound such that it was hardly noticeable.

I have used Liqui-Moly oil additive with only minimal shortening, if at all success, of the sound on start up and have researched the issue such that recommendations suggest a pre-oiler to establish pre-start oil pressure, or more radically (and expensively) overhead cam gear unit replacement to solve the problem.

Has anyone noticed this problem and can you suggest any other fix to this problem? I have read that this problem can result in massive and abrupt catastrophic engine failure, or should it be ignored?
Thank you,
CLR

·
Registered
213 Posts
Theres a good chance you have carbon build up in the engine. Try adding MMO to the oil and run it 3000 miles to clean the engine. It cleans slowly so no need to worry about carbon clogging up the small passages. More often than not 4 bangers have a smaller oil capcity, 4.7 Qts in this case and will over work the conventional oils Causing them to coke on the vital engine parts. Go with full synthetic from now on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Try a product called, Cerma. Some people have tried it with success. I think I'll try it with my truck come the next oil change since it has a start up rattle as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts