Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I believe I read the center seat in the second row folds into the floor on the LE and XLE though, not completely sure though about this.
From the pics it just appears they can fold forward, but not into the floor. I’m no engineer, but I think the batteries might be in the way. All the 2021 Siennas are Hybrid , even the spare tire is an option now on all new Siennas. The Center seat on row two is just like the older models, it’s removable and can be stowed in the rear. Another thing, the center console is much larger to accommodate a fridge and a vacuum system so now it extends into the cabin of the van with the 2nd row, taking of more space and making getting in and out of the van a little more clumsy. In the 2020 and back vans some have a center console that can extend to allow the cup holders to be closer to passengers in the 2nd row, but you can retract that part of the console to allow easy entry and exit from the van, now the console is a fixed item. I prefer the vacuum in the back of the van like in mine, now it’s in the center, I mean it’s not like you can use it when you're driving.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check out the Redline review, right at the 8:36 mark. It looks like the second row is moving pretty far forward (almost even to where the center console is.

The 2nd row doesn’t go any farther forward than a 2020, the front seats are still in the way and the center console extends rearward into the main cabin taking up even more space, don’t get me wrong, I’m loving the new interior, but a lot of cargo space / floor space is lost with a non removable 2nd row.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Being able to haul cargo (including 4 X 8 plywood or mother-in-law's Queen size mattress or dresser) is one of the hallmarks of a minivan.
I think you might be mixing up a full size van with a minivan. I am not sure the current Sienna will load a 4x8 piece of plywood and I know it will not fit a queen size mattress. A full size mattress just barely fits (just the mattress, not the box spring).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think you might be mixing up a full size van with a minivan. I am not sure the current Sienna will load a 4x8 piece of plywood and I know it will not fit a queen size mattress. A full size mattress just barely fits (just the mattress, not the box spring).
A 4x8 sheet of plywood fits in all current minivans except the Sedona since it too can’t remove 2nd row. Btw a full size mattress is 54” wide which is wider than a sheet of plywood. Idk if a full size mattress will fit tbh.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All videos/reviews of the new Sienna are what Toyota sent out and I don't believe that anyone of the reviewers has seen one in person so.... the 2nd seat may or may not (probably not otherwise Toyota would have shown it) fold down, etc. I suspect (like others) that they took the safety route. Either way, it's a mini-van and most people probably carry passengers so they went that route. If there's enough clearance, I'll be a potential buyer. Even if I have to move the seats all the way forward, I can get more in there than I could in a RAV, etc. so I'd be happy! I can get my dog in one seat too! :)

·
Registered
94 Posts

Based on the console intrusion and the Redline video, It looks like the seats semi-fold like our 2020, bottom part moves upwards at an angle and back goes vertical, then slides forward. I also noticed it does not go all the way to the front end of the track before it locks. Anyone know if there is a way to change the lock position?

·
Registered
474 Posts
You know that sounds like a great Idea, but I bet the batteries would be in the way, being that all the new Siennas for 2021 are Hybrid
I wasn't even thinking fold into the floor. That would be awesome but I don't see it happening because of batteries and seat airbags. I was just hoping that you could at least fold the seatback down so it's flat on top and have a decent amount of distance between the top of the folded seatback and the ceiling.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can anyone confirm this, that the backrest of the 2nd row seats can be folded on the seat bottoms , so one can at least extend cargo beyond the 2nd row seats to abut the back of the 1st row seats, and more clearance for cargo into the 2nd row of the van I can live with not being able to remove the seats just have a hard time that one cannot extend cargo into t the 2nd row space of the van

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I haven't found it practical to remove and reinstall the ottoman seats in my 2014 Limited due to their weight and a shape that makes them difficult for one person to grasp. I inflamed an old back injury the one time I did it.

Even with the 2nd row seats in place, there is still a generous cargo space when 2nd row seats are slid all the way forward. I wouldn't want to carry 4'x8' sheets of plywood in the Sienna anyway since I don't want to risk scarring up the interior trim panels - I use my utility trailer to haul rough stuff like that. I've been able to haul some pretty large items without removing the 2nd row seats ... a 60" flat screen TV sitting upright in its box, a commercial grade rolling kitchen island, a Weber gas grill in its box, etc. The TV box fit in the "aisle" between the 2nd row ottoman seats of my Limited.

I've never slept in the Sienna but several months ago I did a "test nap" in case I was too fatigued to make it all the way back from visiting a parent in a hospital 200 miles away. I'm six feet tall and found that there was plenty of room to stretch out behind a 2nd row seat without having to bend my legs. Here's a photo I took that day of my "nap bed".

Sienna sleeping space behind 2nd row seat.jpg

Has Chrysler improved the comfort of their Stow'n Go seats? I thought they were horrible the last time I sat in one ... reminded me of the seats in the troop carrier aircraft I rode in 50 years ago.

·
Registered
29 Posts
From Warubozo's pictures, it looks like the 2nd row seats seem to fold up flattish against the 1st row seats. They seem to stick out just about as far as the new center console/vacuum/refrigerator thing.
That somewhat assuages my concern about cargo room or camping/sleeping space.
However, I still can't see a 4x8 sheet of plywood fitting in here. Just hauled a couple sheets of plywood and dozens of 2x4s in my Odyssey in the last couple weeks. It's an important ability in my book.
Perhaps I am wrong? Maybe the available space is bigger than it looks from the pictures, and I can still make the occasional lumber run to home depot? I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
From Warubozo's pictures, it looks like the 2nd row seats seem to fold up flattish against the 1st row seats. They seem to stick out just about as far as the new center console/vacuum/refrigerator thing.
However, I still can't see a 4x8 sheet of plywood fitting in here. Just hauled a couple sheets of plywood and dozens of 2x4s in my Odyssey in the last couple weeks. It's an important ability in my book.
Perhaps I am wrong? Maybe the available space is bigger than it looks from the pictures, and I can still make the occasional lumber run to home depot? I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Well the new van is 3 inches longer maybe that with. the seats all the way forward makes up for not being able to take them out, but I’m still not a fan of the mega grille

·
Registered
94 Posts
However, I still can't see a 4x8 sheet of plywood fitting in here.
On our 2020, the back of the seat goes full upright and the bottom part goes to about a 45° angle, which allows the seat to slide further forward. The 2021 pictures suggests a similar setup. I measured ours with the seat like that and it is about 70" from the seat to the rear hatch.

·
Registered
136 Posts
3rd Gen has trunk cargo space of 39 cu.ft. the 2021 has 33 cu.ft.
I think that will be the best indicator of available space. As you mention, the current Sienna has 39.1 cubic feet of space behind the third-row seats, 87.1 cubic feet behind the second row, and a maximum of 150 cubic feet behind the front seats (with the second row seats removed).

I have seen where they call out the 2021 will have 33.5 cubic feed behind the third row, but have not seen any other cargo volume figures published yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks this is ridiculous? This would kill an entire market segment. People WANT to camp in their vans, and they also want to carry cargo. They announced a stellar tow rating for the hybrid, which is great. But how could they be so short sighted by not allowing the middle row to be removed?

One of the amazing things about the Prius hybrid was the ability to sleep in the cabin with climate control. (#hotelprius) Seems like Toyota didn't pay attention to this.

Goodbye dog owners, car campers, or anyone who wants to carry anything in their van.

???!!!
Honestly this might affect YOU, but the grand majority of minivan buyers will never even attempt to remove the 2nd row and thus will never see this as an issue.

Do you really think even 5% of minivan buyers care about this much less a large enough percentage where this will actually affect Toyotas sales on this model?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts