Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Why are all these posters that are discounting our concerns even reading this thread? GET A LIFE of your own.
Because this is a car forum where people attempt to help others including providing suggestions on how to cope with the new nonremovable 2nd row seats.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Toyota should have made it an option for ppl to choose. Non removable chair with airbag / Removable chair without airbag.
Can’t speak for the majority but my own choice is clear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Highlander is the Sienna's TNGA-K platform companion, and built in the same Indiana plant. It sold 141K Jan-Sep, and over 200K for the past 3 of years. That's where the money is, V6 with available mechanical AWD or AWD with available electric AWD. A spare tire is standard, no having to choose between having one vs. a roof rack or specific colors as with the new Sienna.

Sienna sales have been less than 100K/yr lately. In pandemic year 2020 the aged Sienna sold less than 29K in the first 9 months of the year, less than half the rate of the Odyssey. Little wonder why there's no V6 and no removable 2nd row seats, the additional engineering & assembly complexity wasn't deemed worthy. Heck, the LE is no longer available with a beige interior.

Minivan sales are lousy and models are few. The new US market is down to the Sienna, Odyssey, Voyager/Pacifica, leftover Grand Caravans, Sedona, and if you want cargo vans with extra seats, Transit Connect and taller Metris. Each has its own compromises: you want Toyota reliability? no models below $35K, 2nd row Magic Seat, plug-in hybrid, Stow-N-Go seats, or a wide 2nd row center seat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What extra engineering and assembly complexity? The Sienna is on the TNGA-K platform like you said, it shares basically everything mechanical with the Highlander. So much so that they are build in the same factory! The Highlander has a V6 option, well actually its standard. So its not like Toyota has to do anything more with putting the V6 into the new Sienna. This is just giving the buyer less choice to sell the less popular hybrid system. Currently V6 Highlanders outsell Hybrid Highlanders 10-1.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do you really think that adding a secondary engine option on a model line does not add cost to engineering and manufacturing costs?

In September, Toyota sold 22,000 Highlanders and 4000 Siennas which would have been 2020 the V6 version (4.5 to 1). Year-to-date they sold 141,000 Highlanders and 28,000 Siennas (5 to 1). Which model would you invest more cost into to meet consumer demand?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Umm, its the reason Toyota went to a standardized platform, to save on engineering and manufacturing costs. So yes, in the big picture, its a negligible cost. Do you think Toyota chose to incorporate a vastly more complex drivetrain to save costs? Its to charge more to the consumer and give them no cheaper choice. Well anyway, we'll see what the market says.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do you think Toyota chose to incorporate a vastly more complex drivetrain to save costs?
No, I think they did it because it is a part of their overall direction to offer more hybrid vehicles in their line-up.

Reactions: umerw

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife and I ride recumbent trikes. They are big and difficult to transport. They fit in our 2010 XLT Limited, but that died last year and we replaced it with a Subaru Outback and have to use our hitch mounted rack.

We are thinking about the new Sienna and was wondering about the room behind the middle row sets. I would love to know the measurement of the floor from the hatch to the back of the middle seats when pused forward. Ideally I would like to get it for both the XLE 7 passenger and Limited 7 passenger because of the ottomans.
villeger side_1.jpg

·
Registered
2017 XLE AWD
15 Posts
My wife and I ride recumbent trikes. They are big and difficult to transport. They fit in in 2010 XLT Limited, but that died last year and we replaced it with a Subaru Outback and have to use our hitch mounted rack.

We are thinking about the new Sienna and was wondering about the room behind the middle row sets. I would love to know the measurement of the floor from the hatch to the back of the middle seats when pused forward. Ideally I would like to get it for both the XLE 7 passenger and Limited 7 passenger because of the ottomans.
I don't have the dimension, but this vid has some pretty extensive footage of cabin transformation for Gen4:
. Frankly, for anything "extensive cargo use", I'd consider getting a fresh 2020 MY Gen 3 instead. Those non-removable 2nd row seat... well, enough has allready been said :)

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I would love to know the measurement of the floor from the hatch to the back of the middle seats when pused forward. Ideally I would like to get it for both the XLE 7 passenger and Limited 7 passenger because of the ottomans.
I think you are looking for the length of the cargo space behind the 2nd row seats when the 1st row seats are positioned rearward as far as they can go. The maximum cargo length behind the 2nd row seats is a lot more when the 1st row seats are positioned all the way forward and the 2nd row seats are slide forward to touch the 1st row seats - our gen 3 Sienna's front seats cannot be occupied when that is done.

The difference between the cargo space length behind the 2nd row ottoman seats when the 1st and 2nd row seats are as far forward as possible and when the 1st row seats are as far rearward as possible in our gen 3 Sienna is right at 10 inches - 75 inches vs. 65 inches. Based on the video reviews of the gen 4 Sienna I've watched, it's similar in the gen 4 Sienna.

I suggest that you base your measurements only for when the 1st row seats are slid all the way rearward. This allows the front passenger to position their seat as far away from the airbag as possible - like my Munchkin wife positions it - and also allows for the automatic "easy access" rearward travel of the driver seat when the ignition is shut off and the driver door is opened.

For either the gen 3 or gen 4 Sienna, I think you would be safe in considering the useable cargo space behind the 2nd row to be 4 feet wide and 5 feet long.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My wife and I ride recumbent trikes. They are big and difficult to transport. They fit in our 2010 XLT Limited, but that died last year and we replaced it with a Subaru Outback and have to use our hitch mounted rack.

We are thinking about the new Sienna and was wondering about the room behind the middle row sets. I would love to know the measurement of the floor from the hatch to the back of the middle seats when pused forward. Ideally I would like to get it for both the XLE 7 passenger and Limited 7 passenger because of the ottomans. View attachment 47882
I've seen multiple videos that state 72" or 6-feet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks this is ridiculous? This would kill an entire market segment. People WANT to camp in their vans, and they also want to carry cargo. They announced a stellar tow rating for the hybrid, which is great. But how could they be so short sighted by not allowing the middle row to be removed?

One of the amazing things about the Prius hybrid was the ability to sleep in the cabin with climate control. (#hotelprius) Seems like Toyota didn't pay attention to this.

Goodbye dog owners, car campers, or anyone who wants to carry anything in their van.

???!!!
I will happily be step up and invite others to join me in offering a reward for the first person to successfully remove the second row seats for a 2021 Sienna. By successful, I mean without triggering the airbags or rendering the vehicle non-drivable due to a warning light. The reward? Maybe a pizza delivered to your home or just some warm thoughts. A note- I have removed and reversed the passenger seat in my 2015 Mazda CX-5 without blowing the bag or incurring any such problems. This in spite of dire warnings online against doing such a thing. There first time I disconnect the battery (negative terminal) and managed to unplug the very complicated single electrical connection under the seat. The next time I simply unplugged the connector. (Why reverse the passenger seat, you might ask? It renders it unusable while driving of course, but it makes a very nice sitting, eating and reading position in the mini camper setup I sometimes use in my small Mazda SUV. I was just about set on up-sizing to a 2021 Sienna DIY camper, that is until I learned the 2nd row seats can't come out.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will happily be step up and invite others to join me in offering a reward for the first person to successfully remove the second row seats for a 2021 Sienna. By successful, I mean without triggering the airbags or rendering the vehicle non-drivable due to a warning light. The reward? Maybe a pizza delivered to your home or just some warm thoughts. A note- I have removed and reversed the passenger seat in my 2015 Mazda CX-5 without blowing the bag or incurring any such problems. This in spite of dire warnings online against doing such a thing. There first time I disconnect the battery (negative terminal) and managed to unplug the very complicated single electrical connection under the seat. The next time I simply unplugged the connector. (Why reverse the passenger seat, you might ask? It renders it unusable while driving of course, but it makes a very nice sitting, eating and reading position in the mini camper setup I sometimes use in my small Mazda SUV. I was just about set on up-sizing to a 2021 Sienna DIY camper, that is until I learned the 2nd row seats can't come out.)
I totally agree with that! What was toyota thinking? Make the bolts easily accessible under the carpet strip, change the airbag connector for a dummy plug if necessary. Let the consumer decide. Tired of this nanny state BS.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Let the consumer decide. Tired of this nanny state BS.
It's the insurance industry that's driving these changes - not government. Getting a "Top Safety Pick+" rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS.org) has become a huge deal.

Edit: I should have said that it is due to consumers who want vehicles with high safety ratings like the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ rating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think you are looking for the length of the cargo space behind the 2nd row seats when the 1st row seats are positioned rearward as far as they can go. The maximum cargo length behind the 2nd row seats is a lot more when the 1st row seats are positioned all the way forward and the 2nd row seats are slide forward to touch the 1st row seats - our gen 3 Sienna's front seats cannot be occupied when that is done.

The difference between the cargo space length behind the 2nd row ottoman seats when the 1st and 2nd row seats are as far forward as possible and when the 1st row seats are as far rearward as possible in our gen 3 Sienna is right at 10 inches - 75 inches vs. 65 inches. Based on the video reviews of the gen 4 Sienna I've watched, it's similar in the gen 4 Sienna.

I suggest that you base your measurements only for when the 1st row seats are slid all the way rearward. This allows the front passenger to position their seat as far away from the airbag as possible - like my Munchkin wife positions it - and also allows for the automatic "easy access" rearward travel of the driver seat when the ignition is shut off and the driver door is opened.

For either the gen 3 or gen 4 Sienna, I think you would be safe in considering the useable cargo space behind the 2nd row to be 4 feet wide and 5 feet long.
I am looking for the distance to the hatch from the back of the second row seats.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I am looking for the distance to the hatch from the back of the second row seats.
I suppose my explanation was too complex.

Why don't you use 72 inches at your default distance realizing that it could be less depending on how much space first row passengers require and depending on which type of 2nd row seats the 2021 Sienna has.

Your best bet is to visit a Toyota dealership, locate the exact 2021 Sienna model you are interested in, position the first row seats so that you and your wife are comfortable, slide the 2nd row seats forward as much as possible tilting the front of the seat cushions upward if it is the type of 2nd row seat that allows that, and then measure the distance yourself.

I read in the 2021 Sienna owners manual that easy access feature of the driver seat will stop if it encounters an obstacle when it automatically slides rearward when the driver door is opened. My 2014 doesn't have that feature - the seat motor will keep trying to move the seat rearward after it encounters an obstacle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I suppose my explanation was too complex.

Why don't you use 72 inches at your default distance realizing that it could be less depending on how much space first row passengers require and depending on which type of 2nd row seats the 2021 Sienna has.

Your best bet is to visit a Toyota dealership, locate the exact 2021 Sienna model you are interested in, position the first row seats so that you and your wife are comfortable, slide the 2nd row seats forward as much as possible tilting the front of the seat cushions upward if it is the type of 2nd row seat that allows that, and then measure the distance yourself.

I read in the 2021 Sienna owners manual that easy access feature of the driver seat will stop if it encounters an obstacle when it automatically slides rearward when the driver door is opened. My 2014 doesn't have that feature - the seat motor will keep trying to move the seat rearward after it encounters an obstacle.
Seems they could have made the middle seats slide up a few inches more, yet another missed opportunity.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 146 Posts