Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2023 Toyota Sienna AWD XLE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When shopping for our van we found we couldn’t be too picky due to supply chain shortages. Luckily we were able to get the trim and color we wanted (AWD XLE and Cypress Green) after a year of patience. The van we bought came with a roof rack, all-weather floor mats, and body molding. If I could have selected the exact configuration I would have also picked a 1500W inverter, spare tire, mud guards, and roof rack cross bars. Since getting the van I’ve been on a mission to get the exact options we wanted.

Recently installed the mud guards and roof rack cross bars. Both projects were simple and I actually saved money by getting them off eBay vs MSRP from the factory.

Mud Guard Observations:
-Cheaper from Ebay
-Different P/N for different trims - careful!
-No need to remove wheels.
-Simple Install, 3 bolts or screws each
-Large Screw/Clip for bottom, 2 sets of smaller Screws/Clips for the wheel well.
-Had to drill 2 small pilot holes in the rear wheel well, prior to installing screws, clips, although the screws may have gone in easy anyway
-Once installed they are small but functional, with just enough lip to catch tire debris

P/N: PK389-08M00-TP (mud guards)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Cross Bar Observations:
-Came with nice and clear instructions
-Simple Install, remove 4 existing plastic screw caps, replace with metal screws
-Came with torque tool with 8Nm specified.
-Your van must have the roof rails factory or you cannot install, I didn’t know this and got lucky ours had that option already

P/N: PT278-08500 (cross bars)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Vehicle

Future Plans:

I may spend the money to do a spare tire conversion. I like to have a spare tire handy for emergencies but we have road side assistance through Toyota and insurance so we can get by. The location where they install the spare tire is a different interior panel and from what I’ve seen on the forum it’s costly in terms of parts (hundreds of dollars) and takes some time. I do not understand Toyota’s logic in not offering the spare tire standard for 7-seater configurations as there is no need to store the removable 8th seat.

As for the 1500W inverter I may just go with a portable power station like a Jackery in the future. They seem to cost less and you have the flexibility to charge from solar and remove from the van.

·
Registered
2023 Toyota Sienna AWD XLE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This made me wonder if there is a noticeable mpg change with VS without cross bars.
In theory it creates some amount of drag. Not sure if it’s enough to make a significant difference for the additional functionality.

The mud guards probably have more of an impact on drag if I had to guess.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts