Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OFFICIAL PREVIEW. The NEW 2011 Honda Odyssey. 4th-generation North American-market.
http://automobiles.honda.com/2011-odyssey/

Personally, I'm not liking the side-view. Looks "awkward" and conflicted. And the 3rd-row slider track is not only still highly visible, it looks like it got even BIGGER and more ugly. They should have just continued that "line" into a body-side molding or character crease, or something.

The 2011 Sienna looks more sporty/aggressive though. I do like the looks of the 2011 Ody dashboard/controls/instrument layout. The 2011 Sienna and the asymmetrical design just bothers me, plus many of the controls are shifted toward the passenger....which makes them more difficult to view/reach/use for the driver. Not all of us are 6ft 5in males (or females) with extra long arms.

Alas, both of them have the idiotic teeny-tiny A-pillar convenient thief-access window.

2011 Ody also looks to have a REAL 8th seat in the 2ndrow. It's funny how Toyota & Honda have now "swapped" features with the new Sienna copying the old Ody , and conversely the new Ody copying the old Sienna. I think Toyota just lost A LOT of customers. What a DUMB move.

The Honda website also shows much more usable/visible/demonstrated imagery than the Toyota glitzy-styled one. For example, car seat placement is actually shown and demonstrated. No "guessing/speculation" necessary except for individualized fit.

Overall, looks like Honda COPIED/improved upon many of the PLUSES of the design/features/usability of the OLD Sienna.

I gotta say, without touching one or driving one or comparing features and pricing, my "vote" based upon initial impressions from online materials would lean towards a new 2011 Ody instead of a new 2011 Sienna. We'll have to wait for the car magazine reviews to compare their technical and performance specs.

Of course, get whichever one best suits and meets **YOUR** needs.

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

·
Registered
617 Posts
No AWD option crosses it off my list, but, regardless, now that I have the Lounge Seats I don't want thin, light seats in the 2nd row. I'm sure most buyers don't care about AWD and will prefer the nicer middle seat in the Oddity. I much prefer the styling of the Sienna, but that wouldn't have swayed me if the Oddy had AWD and was better over all, or maybe if it offered a combination of AWD and smart cruise control, but no.

I think the Nissan Quest/Infinity ??? is probably too far into the future ("Early 2011") for me to consider so it's the Sienna for me.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I really like the interior. The exterior, um, what a mess. looks like someone poorly photoshopped the rear end of a nissan quest to the front end of a chrysler. Honda couldn't do better than that?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with Topspy. Toyota needs to look out or they could lose market share. I like the interior MUCH better than the 2011 Sienna. Finish and feel is hard to tell in a photo, but Honda looks better so far (I really don't like the dash in the new Sienna :mad: ).

One thing they didn't copy from the Sienna-the door slider track is painfully misplaced! They should have tucked it in under the rear quarter window like Toyota so magically does. It looks like the design team was in a rush for that portion of the vehicle while the angles on the sheet metal at the bottom of the doors were well thought out? ??? ???

As a die-hard Toyota fan, I hate to say it but I really like this new Ody.

Did we ever find out who is heading up the official Toyota consumer feedback team? Like someone said in an earlier thread, Toyota should have an intern reading siennachat's comments and take them to heart!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm really excited about the new Ody. It looks like the seats will be about as kid/carseat friendly as the old 8pass Sienna, but it also adds in all the new-fangled gadgets and features of a modern vehicle, and has the best fuel economy of any van bigger than a Mazda 5.

I was debating between getting a previous gen 8 passenger Sienna or waiting for the new Ody. I'm definitely waiting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I need to be able to put 3 car seats in the 2nd row. Looks like this can be easily done with the 2011 Odyssey, but can't do this with the 2011 Sienna. It's definitely a show stopper issue for me, and I hate the 2nd row middle seat base/cup holder that's left behind on the floor in the 8 passenger 2011 Sienna (safety hazard in my opinion that blocks the aisle between the 2nd and 3rd rows). Plus I like the extra car seat latches in the Odyssey (5 vs 3 in the Sienna). Looks like it's a pretty easy decision for me to go with the 2011 Odyssey.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow... Did Picasso drew the design of the Odyssey ?
The interior is a real chef d'oeuvre, though... Looks like Honda corrected Toyota's errors with their new Odyssey...

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I agree. The interior is very nice. I especially enjoyed the second row configuration. However, I cannot get pass the side profile of the exterior. It looks like a job was done by the Top Gear trio. Maybe it looks better in person close-up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We chose a Ody last time because we liked the way it looked and drove. The last Gen Sienna looked cheap from the font and had no style. The 2011 looked great to me, we did not have anything but pictures to compare it to the Ody, but we are glad we went with the 2011 Sienna.

I like the interior touches like the trash bag, then again you could hook a trash bag (plastic grocery bag) on either one of the Sienna front seat hooks.

The 5 latch positions and three car seats across the 2nd row, is a area where Sienna screwed up. The Ody will win here for sure with families that have 3 little ones.

I think the place that Toyota gets killed is the packaging of the Ody. They have it down, LX, EX, EX-L and Touring.

Where Toyota screwed up is the Limited should have everything std no options.

Make HID's optional on SE and XLE.

Make Navigation optional on XLE and SE.

Make Rear Entertainment Optional on LE, SE, XLE.

Leather should be std on the XLE and Limited and optional on the SE.

Auto headlamps should be on SE, XLE and Limited models.

With Toyota there are too many restrictions on what you can get. I like the look of the SE and love the dark seats and carpet (kid proof) but need rear entertainment.

If I could I would have gotten:

Super White SE
Charcoal Leather Package includes power rear hatch and push button start.
Rear Entertainment Package
Navigation Package
HID Package

Toyota has the advantage with the SE model but they limit its appeal by restricting options.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's almost like Toyota WANTS Honda to kick their a$$ this time around. They had a HUGE opportunity with the SE, but then they CRIPPLED/de-contented it. They had a HUGE advantage with optional/available 3-across seating in the 2ndRow with REAL seats, but they changed the format and BLEW it and let Honda copy/catch-up. And then they cheaped out with even fewer LATCH positions.....Huh, WTH?? Someone in their product development/management/planning needs to be FIRED....but they probably got promoted to a VP instead.

I would LOL if Honda came out with an "Si" version of their Ody.....that was equipped (standard/optional) PROPERLY just SOLELY to make Toyota SUCK IT. Or maybe Nissan will get a clue and have a properly outfitted "SE" version of their upcoming Quest redesign. Of course, these "performance" variants will not be the primary sales leaders, but they gotta give the customers what the customers want, not what "they" want to "sell".

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

·
Registered
617 Posts
I think if I had more than 3 kids, I'd have bought a GM full-size van. If I needed more than 3 child seats temporarily, I suppose I could just use the seat belts rather than LATCH, so it wasn't a deal-breaker.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It was not a deal breaker for me, but c'mon people with kids is the sweet spot here.

·
Registered
90 Posts
With Toyota the new second row seating is a big screw-up. The Honda second row seating was always superior to Toyota. Ody seats can be rearranged much more easily - you dont have to pick up the seat at all - and with the new serious third seat in the second row, they have made things a whole lot easier for us. We need to fit three infant seats in the second row and I think Ody is the way to go for us. Me being a huge Sienna fan, this is a very painful move for me. :mad: I wish Sienna had a similar setup as in Ody's. As an alternative am looking at 2010 models and another plus is that I get AWD AND Dynamic Cruise if I go for 2010.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I was totally against the lounge seats until I owned them and tried them for myself. Now I don't care that they're big and heavy and leave trollies in the floor and can't be had with the 8th seat and cost a bundle, they're a must-have!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Qest T. Silverclaw said:
I was totally against the lounge seats until I owned them and tried them for myself. Now I don't care that they're big and heavy and leave trollies in the floor and can't be had with the 8th seat and cost a bundle, they're a must-have!
I never saw one, and I don't want to either or I would have wanted it.

Being that I am 6'4" and 300 lbs I wouldn't fit in them anyway. Not that I am ever in the back seat, if I am in the van at all I am driving.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Qest T. Silverclaw said:
I think if I had more than 3 kids, I'd have bought a GM full-size van. If I needed more than 3 child seats temporarily, I suppose I could just use the seat belts rather than LATCH, so it wasn't a deal-breaker.
You would think. However the big van is not practical and not as safe as the minivan. I owned one 2007 and sold it. The downside is that (1) there is no headrests on the rear benches (2) latches are only available on 2 seats (3) no legroom and storage unless the rearmost bench is not being used AND two biggest flaws are (a) they are bouncy unless fully loaded and (b) rear visibility is crap due to the barn door design. Difficult to park in city too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have to say I like the interior/exterior of the Sienna, Honda interior is nice, exterior......................yuck!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts