Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently changed my oil using an oil pump extractor through the dipstick tube. Unfortunately the tube to extract the oil got stuck. I was able to pull most of it out but some of it broke and there is some plastic that fell into the dipstick tube and possibly is now in the oil pan. Is it still safe to drive or do I need to fish out the plastic somehow, possibly by dropping the oil pan?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Does your dipstick fit back into the dipstick tube?

My quick opinion is that the extractor tube won't melt in the dipstick tube and any pieces in the oil pan won't melt either, and will get "filtered' by the strainer of the oil pickup tube likely remaining on the strainer.

I also know that if it were me, I'd drain the oil and strain it for pieces of the tube!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hello,

I recently changed my oil using an oil pump extractor through the dipstick tube. Unfortunately the tube to extract the oil got stuck. I was able to pull most of it out but some of it broke and there is some plastic that fell into the dipstick tube and possibly is now in the oil pan. Is it still safe to drive or do I need to fish out the plastic somehow, possibly by dropping the oil p
Not much help here but was there a reason you were changing oil this way? Stripped or stuck plug maybe?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does your dipstick fit back into the dipstick tube?

My quick opinion is that the extractor tube won't melt in the dipstick tube and any pieces in the oil pan won't melt either, and will get "filtered' by the strainer of the oil pickup tube likely remaining on the strainer.

I also know that if it were me, I'd drain the oil and strain it for pieces of the tube!
My dipstick does fit. I assumed it will get filtered out too. I’ll probably drain the oil and check for plastic pieces and if nothing comes out drop the oil pan.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I guess you work on boats? First time hearing of this was many years ago here about extracting oil via the dipstick tube as they do on boat engines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not much help here but was there a reason you were changing oil this way? Stripped or stuck plug maybe?
I guess you work on boats? First time hearing of this was many years ago here about extracting oil via the dipstick tube as they do on boat engines.
So, the reason why I was using a Mityvac fluid extractor was because I have an older BMW where the oil filter is in the engine bay. I have been doing topside oil changes on Bimmer for years, thus never having to go under the car. So, I figured I would try to do the same with the Sienna just to see how much oil would come out. Unfortunately I learned the hard way. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. hope you get it resolved. if it were me, I would drain the oil first (add a quart or two first if you already sucked the oil out with the mityvac) to see if the plastic drains out. if it does, then that's good. if not, i would drop the pan to find it. Its a lot of work, but I don't like the idea of having foreign objects in my oil pan that could potentially be bad for the engine. Oil is cheap, and dropping the pan is also cheap, replacing an engine, is not. Just my OCD thinking..

·
Registered
158 Posts
So, the reason why I was using a Mityvac fluid extractor was because I have an older BMW where the oil filter is in the engine bay. I have been doing topside oil changes on Bimmer for years, thus never having to go under the car. So, I figured I would try to do the same with the Sienna just to see how much oil would come out. Unfortunately I learned the hard way. Lesson learned.
I also use an oil extractor to change oil in most of my cars I have owned and have not come across any issue with the dipstick tube. I’m guessing you’re having issue because the mityvac dip stick tube is 100% plastic. The oil extractor I’m using is made by pela. The dipstick tube is out of the metal sleeving with plastics wrapped around similar to bicycle brake cable housing.
So far I have no issue using oil extractor on the Toyota 3.5 v6, vw 2.0t gas/diesel, Honda 2.4l but do have issue with the Chrysler 5.7l hemi.

Yea I would pull the oil pan out and making sure all the debris is out of the oil pan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts