Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Cloud Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Sky Car Cloud Wheel

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side-view mirror Cloud

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Our new ‘22 Limited AWD is being delivered tomorrow and our ‘06 Limited is becoming our teenage drivers first ride. It’s still very close to the way it looked 16 years and 240k miles ago with no rust even though we are in Ohio. Every year or so we had it “oil sprayed” with SIGNAL 150 (frame, doors, hood, all underbody).

Our ‘22 is the first hybrid that we will own and I wanted to see if any other out there have experience with this process on a hybrid. 16 years in Ohio brine and salt winters and really no rust has me a 100% believer in process but didn’t want to damage anything with our new member of the family.
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your 2022 underside will be covered in protective hard plastic panels anyway
I did see the panels but didn’t know if it was completely sealed or if the salt and brine could get around it. Was more concerned if even sprayed in exposed areas and behind the panels (ie. where the pan is removed for oil change) if there would likely be any issues. Guessing not but wanted to accumulate some insight. Appreciate your reply

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of the dealerships we went to discuss purchase said they do not spray and the electronic system is only one they do.

Not a believer in those electronic systems.
I have had such success with oil spray that never considered other… and I had also heard others not pleased with success of electronic systems

·
Registered
22 Sienna XLE
26 Posts
Why would you want to cover sensitive bushings, sleeves and other parts with a toxic, smelly, sticky solvent and oil based “lubricants”? Oil or diesel fuel will only break down the seals and rubber parts faster and also attract and hold irritants like sand and dirt. It is also unsafe for the environment. Modern cars no longer need anything like this to be done, if they ever really did. Your best option is to just get rust proofing or use a simple water based undercar spray from a car wash frequently.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why would you want to cover sensitive bushings, sleeves and other parts with a toxic, smelly, sticky solvent and oil based “lubricants”? Oil or diesel fuel will only break down the seals and rubber parts faster and also attract and hold irritants like sand and dirt. It is also unsafe for the environment. Modern cars no longer need anything like this to be done, if they ever really did. Your best option is to just get rust proofing or use a simple water based undercar spray from a car wash frequently.
The undercarriage of my 2015 Mazda CX5 is far more corroded than OP's van, from what I can see. I regret not undercoating. I live in Northern Ontario but grew up on the west coast of Canada, which has a far more mild climate. I moved here in 2011, so I wasnt really familiar with these products when I bought my car. The roads here are heavily salted in the winter. I've spoken to numerous mechanics here who have all advocated for undercoating.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Did you say you sprayed the body of the car (door/hood)? It does look amazing, what is this spray called? How much does it cost

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you say you sprayed the body of the car (door/hood)? It does look amazing, what is this spray called? How much does it cost
Signal 150 by Beacon Lubricants. Local business in Northeast Ohio charges $50. They spray inside frame, hood, panels, rockers, doors… drill and plug where necessary, all underbody… everything but exhaust. Have a book they reference for particular trouble spots on cars. On our wrangler they removed the taillights and then drill behind there to get it into the rear quarter where rust is known.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,750 Posts
I spray all rubber parts with AT205 reseal and undercoat with a marine rust inhibitor. I will try Boeshield T-9 next.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts