Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even with all the upgraded towing bells and whistles which I am planning to add to my van this week, would this be stressing the engine?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've got a 2007 AWD LE. We tow a single axle that we weighs in about 2800lb dry and 3300+loaded. We've had it just over 3500lb. Tows fine on the flats but definitely slows in the hills and wind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a 2007 AWD LE. We tow a single axle that we weighs in about 2800lb dry and 3300+loaded. We've had it just over 3500lb. Tows fine on the flats but definitely slows in the hills and wind.
Thanks for this feedback. Does your trailer have its own brakes? That's the exact weight I am looking to not exceed. 2800

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome! Any tips for must haves in the towing configuration? Do you have air bags? Weight distribution? I want all the safety features.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I do run air bags. I bought a weight distributing hutch, but have never installed it. It pulls well but won't win any races.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Even with all the upgraded towing bells and whistles which I am planning to add to my van this week, would this be stressing the engine?
We also pull a single axle PUP with out 2011 xle. It’s 3k lbs loaded, (w/o water). Have all the towing bells and whistles. Pulls fine on the flats, but like others have said, it’ll dog down a bit up hills. You won’t win any races but it’ll get you there fine. Have fun. ALso meant to say.. we have been pulling our setup for 5 yrs now. Van still runs great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2011 Limited AWD and tow my 19' Deck Boat which has a dry weight of 2800 lbs. When fully fueled, it adds another 200. I wouldn't pull any more than that with the Sienna, because it struggles up hills big time. I'm afraid of burning out the tranny before the new 2022 Tundra comes out late next year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tow a horse trailer with our 2010 Sienna LE, it varies between 2800-3500# depending on horses. I have a weight distributing hitch and it makes a big difference, I've compared with and without the bars on it and the difference is noticeable. I don't have air bags but have always wanted to install them, the weight hitch helps raise the rear end a little bit but air bags would still be nice. You need trailer brakes for that much weight or you'll never get it to stop. Be careful going down hill with trailer brakes, it's easy to overheat them and melt the grease out of the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have a Pop up camper 2800-3300lb or so. Did quite a bit of research and ended up with going for a suitable Weight Distribution Hitch with a sway bar, already installed the air suspension on the rear of my 2003 sienna ($100). The camper does come with brakes so still need to install a brake controller an 7 pin plug. Now just to find the time for all the work...
I found you tube to be a great resource to understand how the weight effects driving and all the safety concerns that are relevant. If the car tows nice it doesn't necessarily means its safe or that you have sufficient traction.
Good luck. It is quite a journey. (fun and exciting!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts