Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully not a controversial topic. Is there a switch to bypass so we can open the sliding doors with the windows rolled down? We don’t leave children unattended in the van. The motorized passenger door was non-operational when we got the van and will remain that way. We would like to keep the feature that holds driver side door closed while the fuel filler door is open.

Next, the self-latching function works on the passenger side and I’d like to add that feature to the driver side slider. Simple or messy job?

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 198K miles

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Both doors should work with the windows down, they just won’t open all the way if that door’s window isn’t closed completely. Both doors should also latch open as long as the respective window is all the way up and the fuel door is closed (for the drivers side slider to open fully and latch). They only latch open if they can be fully opened.

There is no easy way around not fully opening the door with window down situation that I’m aware of, but I haven’t looked into trying to do that.

-Mike

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
657 Posts
There was a mechanism on my '05 at the bottom of the door/hinge/slide that prevented it from opening all the way if the window was open. I would manually reach down to hold the catch back, then slide the door the additional few inches until it latched. The mechanism was not greasy, so it was a quick, clean job, but annoying in the fact that it had to be done. I could see no interference issues with the window down and the door all the way open.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for clarifying. I meant allow the side doors to latch with the window rolled down. You can’t just roll the window up either. You have to fully close the door and open it with the window up.

I should look for that tab you can manually release. Maybe reverse a spring so it never extends to prevent latching.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 198K miles

·
Registered
2009 Sienna LE
237 Posts
Let me know if you find a fix. I also find the design frustrating. By the way, the window does not have to be all the way up. I find as long as I open it no more than about 30%, the door will still latch open. And yes, it's annoying that you have to close the door all the way and reopen, even after rolling up the windows.

There was a mechanism on my '05 at the bottom of the door/hinge/slide that prevented it from opening all the way if the window was open. I would manually reach down to hold the catch back, then slide the door the additional few inches until it latched. The mechanism was not greasy, so it was a quick, clean job, but annoying in the fact that it had to be done. I could see no interference issues with the window down and the door all the way open.
Thanks for the heads up. I will give this a try.

·
Registered
2014 Sienna LE
305 Posts
Weird. Apparently it’s a safety thing, so kids don’t get their limbs or head trapped in an open window once the door is open? Toyota must have used another method in the 3rd gens, as both my sliding doors will happily latch open regardless of what position the window is in.

Anyway, I found this while trying to figure out why Toyota would have this design. I don’t have a second gen but hopefully this helps you: Side doors window latch, how to disable the disabler.

EDIT: Dang, just realized that’s for the manual doors. But he said it takes 5 minutes, and I wouldn’t be surprised it it was the same mechanism for the power doors too.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link!

Here it is in pictures:

This the left door plate. Front end of the car is down -

Door Wood Line Bicycle chain Fixture

Remove two bolts that take a 10mm wrench then flip the plate over -

Black Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bicycle chain Vehicle brake

Pry the white plastic sheath of the cable that ends in a ball out of the retaining tabs. Left side cable in these pictures. That gives you slack to unhook the ball -

Wood Bicycle part Auto part Rim Metal

Put the white sheath back in it’s holder leaving the ball off the hook -

Crankset Bicycle chain Automotive tire Bicycle part Vehicle brake

Flip the plate back into place. Unflip rather than flip again so you don’t twist the cables. I don’t know if it’s necessary to use the witness marks left by the bolts to align the plate but I did and the doors slide and latch as well as ever.

The right side door of this van is motorized, left side isn’t. The mod worked for both.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 198K miles

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My post on this topic didn’t get any responses but does anyone here know what it takes to add self-latching to a manual sliding door? The cables in the right side motorized door got tangled long ago and we don’t miss the feature. Self-latching is wonderful and we’d like to add it to the left door.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 198K miles

·
Registered
2009 Sienna LE
237 Posts
Wow, great pictures! That will save me some time. Thank you!

By self-latching, do you mean that the door pulls itself closed if you don't close it all the way? I thought that all Sienna doors did that, powered or not. Mine has both powered, but I checked with a friend with a 2nd gen with a manual door, and he confirmed that his manual door pulls itself closed if not closed all the way.

Maybe it's just broken? Or maybe they changed it in later years (I think his is an 08).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes to how you described self latching. Our left door isn’t motorized and I only see wires to the lock and window motors. I don’t see wires to where a latch might be (at the trailing end of the door?).

I guess it’s good news that there are doors that self latch but aren’t otherwise motorized. Motorized doors are hacked to bits at self service yards.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 198K miles

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I can confirm that my '06 LE full-manual left door has no powered final-pull part of the close. It's full manual. Thankfully, my 12 year-old is now strong enough to get it closed fully most times. Up until the last year, every time we would get in the van, she had it "closed" rather than actually closed and I would have to get out and double-check all the doors and trunk to figure out which was open. The right door is a powered slider with a broken cable, and the switch at the dash in full-manual, but the final-pull still works. Get it "closed" and the motor will pull it in on that last leg.

I thought I recall a couple years back that someone asked about converting a stock manual door to a power one. The response was that this was one case where there was no common wire bundle installed and, (IIRC) I think there was also a different ECU controller. So it was impractical to convert to a full-power door. However, I suspect that it would still do the final-pull part even without the full power slider functionality being installed. You'd probably still have to install the wire harness though.

·
Registered
2006 LE
2,097 Posts
. The right door is a powered slider with a broken cable, and the switch at the dash in full-manual, but the final-pull still works.
BillG. My van is like yours , drivers side manual and passenger side powered. With the broken cable passenger side how freely does that door feel when opening and closing? Like the other side? When I disable the power function of my operable passenger side I find there is a resistance moving it, whether closing or opening. And yes ,even in the manual mode it does pull in to latch , like you mentioned.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
They feel the same in our ‘04 but I think the cable is disengaged on the passenger side with a bum door drive mechanism. There might be more resistance if the cable is still in place. And our motor-less driver side might feel heavier because rollers need attention.

Out of habit we use minimal force to close the passenger door since it will self latch. The passenger side needs more force to latch.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 198K miles

·
Registered
2008 Sienna LE
22 Posts
Weird. Apparently it’s a safety thing, so kids don’t get their limbs or head trapped in an open window once the door is open? Toyota must have used another method in the 3rd gens, as both my sliding doors will happily latch open regardless of what position the window is in.

Anyway, I found this while trying to figure out why Toyota would have this design. I don’t have a second gen but hopefully this helps you: Side doors window latch, how to disable the disabler.

EDIT: Dang, just realized that’s for the manual doors. But he said it takes 5 minutes, and I wouldn’t be surprised it it was the same mechanism for the power doors too.
Are you shitting me?? This is intentional behavior?? I thought my door was having issues!

Oh man, I'm off to disable this RIGHT NOW. What a stupid "safety feature" haha.

Reactions: bencahill and BillG
1 - 16 of 16 Posts