Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Have you opted into Toyota Connected Services?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD; 2013 Subaru Outback Limited
176 Posts
Yep, this is what I did when my 1 year trial ended. Ditched the other 2 and just kept Remote Connect.
Just a quick heads up: this is either $8/mo or $80/yr, so if you pay annually, you save a little.
We did the same.

Remote start from a far distance (at work) when it is 4 degrees outside is too awesome to pass up.

· Registered
376 Posts
When we got our Sienna there were few documents to sign so looked them over.

At least 2-3 pages was about connected services and we refused to sign since base models do not get those features. Had to point that out to finance or something like that person that was trying to sell us the warranty and paint packages.

Now even though not signed I presume Toyota is still tracking our data vis a vis Sienna parameters like mileage, battery charging, speed, etc..

Arrrgghhh!!
while toyota won't allow the remote connect on the base models, the hardware is still there and the cell module in the dash is still there collecting data and sending it out. how can you tell? because I bet your dealer will call you if you leave the maintenance minder on too long. also, I have a base model LE, and it has connected services and they work fine. maybe just try and connect it to your phone? I dunno why mine works when other LE models it doesn't.

· Registered
1,408 Posts
while toyota won't allow the remote connect on the base models, the hardware is still there and the cell module in the dash is still there collecting data and sending it out. how can you tell? because I bet your dealer will call you if you leave the maintenance minder on too long. also, I have a base model LE, and it has connected services and they work fine. maybe just try and connect it to your phone? I dunno why mine works when other LE models it doesn't.
This app?

· Registered
2022 Sienna Platinum
114 Posts
Too many times, my wife and I would forget to lock the doors and the Toyota app would alert me of this. And then I can lock it remotely without being anywhere near the car. My 1 year "trial" is almost up, so the remote connect service is the only one I will be subscribing to.
That is what we did. Not having small children now is there a way to turn off the "Check rear seat" reminder? I know it's a practical thing but not needed in our case.

· Registered
1,408 Posts
That is what we did. Not having small children now is there a way to turn off the "Check rear seat" reminder? I know it's a practical thing but not needed in our case.
In the settings under MID [small screen in dashboard] you can turn off reminder. Under vehicle settings if i remember correctly.

Plus after turning off the reminder the display will show trip mileage as long as turn off van before opening doors.

· Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
763 Posts
In the settings under MID [small screen in dashboard] you can turn off reminder.

Plus after turning off the display will show trip mileage as long as turn off van before opening doors.
That fixes the message on the MID. I think the poster was referring to the check rear seat notification from the app. The MID settings have no effect on the app. I do not know of any way to eliminate the notification from the app. The strange thing is when you lock from the app, you get a locked notification. Then a minute or so later, you get the additional check rear seat notification.

· Registered
2022 Sienna Platinum
114 Posts
The last I have seen about this states that you must have at least one connected services subscription (or free trial) for the remote start from the fob to work. Many Siennas come with a 10 year free trial to Service Connect and that is sufficient for the remote start to work.
There is no remote start from the factory fob on our 2022 Platinum, only through the app. When you open the door the engine turns off. You then have to restart it. Our son's older Chevy has remote start from his fob, and when you get in the car it senses the fob and doesn't turn off.

· Registered
64 Posts
There is no remote start from the factory fob on our 2022 Platinum, only through the app. When you open the door the engine turns off. You then have to restart it. Our son's older Chevy has remote start from his fob, and when you get in the car it senses the fob and doesn't turn off.
Are you sure? I can start my 22 Sienna XLE and my wife's 21 RAV4 Limited with the remotes. Both of us let the connected services expire...

· Registered
281 Posts
Are you sure? I can start my 22 Sienna XLE and my wife's 21 RAV4 Limited with the remotes. Both of us let the connected services expire...
There may not be a button called "remote start", but the function is there. Lock, Lock, Lock and hold. It may take some practice to get the timing down, but I do it with my XSE on occasion.

· Registered
64 Posts
There may not be a button called "remote start", but the function is there. Lock, Lock, Lock and hold. It may take some practice to get the timing down, but I do it with my XSE on occasion.
I believe the correct sequence is: Press the LOCK button on the remote. Press the LOCK button a second time within 1 second. Press the LOCK button again, this time holding it for 3 seconds or longer until the vehicle lights blink twice to show it has started. It will stay remote started for 10 minutes. It will NOT remote start with the FOB if the doors are unlocked before trying...

· Registered
16 Posts
The strange thing is when you lock from the app, you get a locked notification. Then a minute or so later, you get the additional check rear seat notification.
To my knowledge, this message is received from the app any time the rear sliding door(s) are opened prior to starting the car, but are not opened again after turning the car off and locking it, regardless whether locking from the app or fob. This is a setting under MID I think (child warning). It's a great feature/reminder for parents with young children to prevent tragedy, but can be annoying otherwise...

· Registered
190 Posts
You can turn off the rear seat reminder notification in the app.

In the app, click on the human icon on top right, then account in the middle, then notification settings, turn off rear seat reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
763 Posts
To my knowledge, this message is received from the app any time the rear sliding door(s) are opened prior to starting the car, but are not opened again after turning the car off and locking it, regardless whether locking from the app or fob. This is a setting under MID I think (child warning). It's a great feature/reminder for parents with young children to prevent tragedy, but can be annoying otherwise...
The setting on the MID controls only the message on the MID. The app has a separate setting and only notifies you if you lock using the app.

· Banned
22 plat with factory plastic wheels
41 Posts
What do you think Toyota will do with that sick data they have on me driving to walmart and the gas station ohhhh yea I do go to a resturant every now and again hahahaha!!

I like the connected services but I wont pay for them once the free trial is over.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have to admit the Remote Connect service is useful for the Remote Start alone in our 2021 Sienna. Opted out of the Destination Assist and Safety Connect, but kept for Remote Connect feature for $80/year. No regrets so far, and honestly can't imagine driving my Sienna without it. But I do hate that we're moving to a pretty much a subscription-based future.

· Registered
225 Posts
Great discussion, as I have not yet made the decision to opt in or opt out of this. Frankly, it "has to be worth it" or I wont give them my money. So far, I have not yet seen it to be that worthwhile to me. I agree, that Toyota has "hidden" the auto start feature by the fob without the subscription. And, that part I like. I mean, gee, pay for remote start if you like, but if you dont want to do that, push lock 3 times. I also agree about Toyota "monetizing" this, and not sure I like that at all. Didnt we already give Toyota "enough money" to suit them? Is Toyota a greedy Pig at the trough waiting to steal the food from all the other pigs?
Im not sure I follow the concept of "corporate greed", however. This presumes "individuals" dont posess corportate greed, but instead, only "company execs". That "corporate greed" comes from people with individual greed, and mostly all of us have it, to at least some degree. Did you "turn down your last pay raise" because you could get by without it? Probably not. You may have even asked for a raise, or, maybe even done things to deserve a raise.

"Greed" is not necessarily fully bad word. We own a Toyota, BECAUSE investors lined up, buying shares, which allowed Toyota to build incredible car factories to make our car. An individual is pretty much incapable of building such an automobile without some great help..and adequate financing. Pretty much EVERYTHING we own almost certainly comes from an investor owned company. Why? Because it works. People buy shares because they hope or expect to PROFIT from owning shares. They rarely purchase shares because they have empathy for the company and wish to donate their money to the cause. They have non profits for that purpose. Instead, they buy shares of Toyota or other companies because they expect to earn profits in increased share price or dividends. Many, if not most of us, use this in some form or another to provide our retirement, or education for our children or grand children. We can "store up" our labor (dollars) for use when we can no longer work, or we wish to pass our "stored labor" to our grandchildren or children or spouse. Its not "ugly" to want to provide ones own retirement (stored up labor dollars), often in the form of shares of one or more companies, rather than expect one's children to care for us when we age. In order to do that, we buy shares in companies we think has "growth potential". Or, we essentially pay others to make those decisions for us, by "putting money in a bank, insurance company, or mutual fund (etf). Money manages of banks, insurance companies, etc., take your money and invest it largely in shares of companies "they think" will grow for you..and charge you to do that, as some percentage of the growth.

We would not be able to buy a Toyota Sienna had it not been for investors who "had greed", expecting Toyota to profit for them. It takes thousands and thousands of people working together to build our car..all of which "have a job", in no small part because investors "took a chance" this car company will prosper and grow, and so will our money.

On the other hand, "generosity" is a concept that few fully grasp. It really is possible to do both..be "greedy" with ones finances, yet be generous to family and or deserving strangers or friends. I dont really like the term "greed" with its negative influence, but rather, "wise use of what we have been given". My father earned less but had much more, because he had mastered wise use of what he had. Many people earn lots, yet have little, and my father taught me instead to earn less yet have more.

Dave Ramsey also pointed this out. I dont see it "evil" to amass wealth, but rather, evil to amass wealth and misuse, or squander that wealth on less than noble causes. Use your wealth to do good for others. We have many many people who "need" things, but few who "need" to help others. I love looking for others to help, not because I have amassed great wealth, but because I have managed well what I do have, so that I have some left over to bless others.

· Registered
376 Posts
Seems it depends on the particular fob, so yes and no and still up in the air?

no it does not. toyota has not changed its tune, they waited for the media and state scrutiny to die down. on 2020 models they will provide remote start to the original owner for 10 years. on 2021 and 2022 MY stuff, they are providing remote start for 5 years, and starting in 2023 and newer, it will be for 1 year. and yes, this is the same thing that is locked behind the subscription even if your FOB and van can do it without a subscription. this is confirmed by my own AG over a year ago, and that official statement hasn't changed.

When we got our Sienna there were few documents to sign so looked them over.

At least 2-3 pages was about connected services and we refused to sign since base models do not get those features. Had to point that out to finance or something like that person that was trying to sell us the warranty and paint packages.

Now even though not signed I presume Toyota is still tracking our data vis a vis Sienna parameters like mileage, battery charging, speed, etc..

Arrrgghhh!!

I have pointed this out to you before, but even the base model that supposedly doesn't have a DCM still has a DCM and still sends data to toyota. its not anything you can opt out of either, no matter the menu or shit in the car or in the app, there is no way to turn off the data collection. you can confirm this by calling a dealer across the country from you, giving them your VIN, and they will be able to give you the current mileage of the van right then.

· Registered
1,408 Posts
I have pointed this out to you before, but even the base model that supposedly doesn't have a DCM still has a DCM and still sends data to toyota. its not anything you can opt out of either, no matter the menu or shit in the car or in the app, there is no way to turn off the data collection. you can confirm this by calling a dealer across the country from you, giving them your VIN, and they will be able to give you the current mileage of the van right then.
Yes, noted then... why requote me from July 9, 2022??

21 - 40 of 43 Posts