Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow siennachat members. I decided to do a DIY mirror conversion from a BSM mirror to a non BSM mirror with blind spot mirror and relocate the BSM indicator/LED light inside the vehicle located on the front door window pillar - don't really know if that is what you call it.. The mirrors are OEM and can be bought online from Toyota parts dealers or from MIT through Ebay. I went with MIT since I could save $20 each mirror. Bought a BSM indicator light from Amazon Amazon.com: Sell by Automotiveapple, Universal Blind Spot Assist LED Warning Light 2-pc Set For Kia Hyundai Chevrolet Renault: Automotive . All I need was the housing for the LED warning light from Amazon. Remove the double sided tape that came with it and pry away the PCB board the holds the LED. I choose round because it is easier to install and cut a hole than going for a square one which I intended to use at first. But cutting a square and making it perfect was harder than cutting a round hole. Looking at the possibilities was not that hard. All I had to do is remove the LED light from the original mirror with BSM which was very easy and the only challenge was removing the door and mirror assembly from the door and pulling the wire for the BSM. I have not got there yet but should have no problem doing it since I know what I am up to after doing the LED turn signal mod. I have took pictures so I can put it up step by step later on. Anyway guys, stay tuned and will post some pictures soon.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
@Geezer1 might be interested in this - he posted a thread trying something similar last year with no luck Adding Interior BSM Indicators
LOL, I've given up on that project for now although I left the little T-taps connected to the wires leading to the BSM indicator in the driver side mirror if I ever want to try again. After frying the Goshers BSM indicators I bought, I'm "once bitten, twice shy". The last thing I want to do is damage the existing BSM system.

At this time of year, the project that I - or my wife to be more exact - would rather resurrect is adding heaters to the Sienna's second row seats. "Her" next vehicle must have heated rear seats. "My" next vehicle isn't going to have rear seats to heat!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Geezer1, why did you not want to use the orignal/OEM BSM LED indicator? It was easy to remove. That is what I plan to use. No need T-taps. Plan to cut the wire from inside and pull it out from the outside then solder them back together inside so you still get to use the factory plugs when you remove the window pillar from the door like factory. I took pictures of the back mirror with the LED BSM indicator in place and without the LED BSM. Very easy to remove. Will post pictures later.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
@Geezer1, why did you not want to use the orignal/OEM BSM LED indicator?
My goal is to keep everything working as much as possible as when a vehicle left the factory and to make only additions to existing vehicle systems. I do that largely in consideration of the next owners who for past few decades have all been younger relatives and friends. Our current 2014 Sienna will likely go to a niece and our 2012 Prius to a grand nephew who recently turned 14 and got a provisional drivers license. I suppose one could say that we "live" with our vehicles long after we part with them.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here's the finish mod that I did. As you can see with the blind spot mirror, I can still see the tail end of my other vehicle whereas on the main mirror, it does not show up with both vehicle's mirror almost lined up together. I am using the factory LED with this mod. Even during day time hours, LED is still very bright and "bigger" than factory icon. Very pleased with the outcome.

I could have located the LED light lower on the window pillar but the lower part has the wiring harness that goes to the outside mirror that does not allow me to install it there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Very nice! This is the way Toyota should have done it which is similar to how some other car companies position the BSM indicator.

It would be nice if Toyota would move the BSM indicator into the interior when it makes BSM standard. The IIHS has proposed mandatory BSM.

I'd also like an audible BSM tone when signaling a lane change and a vehicle is in a blind spot and for steering assist to keep the vehicle in its lane. What I consider to be a superior BSM system is referenced in a video on the IIHS website: Advanced driver assistance

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honda and Nissan (just the cars that I drove so far and there may be more) has the audible 2 beeps when you activate the turn signals.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Nicely done. I have always liked and preferred the BSM indicators on the inside of the vehicle in line of sight with the outside mirrors

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very interested in trying this but on a 2019 Highlander - needed because of my geezer's stiff neck. Found your new indicators on Ali express for much cheaper. I think I can get the Highlander door apart OK so don't expect you to help there. Also, the Highlander mirror seems to have a multi-pin connector inside the door so I can probably tap it somewhere after the connector to feed the new indicator. I would appreciate your conveying how you took apart the original mirrors and removed the led and put it in your new indicator.
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@wde_Sienna, I need to make sure I understand what you are asking. You just simply want to relocate the the BSM indicator from the mirror to the inside of the vehicle - window pillar right? I have done my mirror mod a couple times and is very familiar with where the wires are and the space available to where the indicators will be placed. So before the installation, I already had a pretty good idea on what I am suppose to do. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the Highlander. The mirror for the highlander is totally different. 2017-2019 Toyota Highlander Left Side Mirror Glass w/Heat And BSM Used OEM | eBay

·
Registered
7 Posts
LetsGoPlaces, I don't want to pollute your Sienna discussion with Highlander specifics but I assume your effort was to take the door panel off, which then freed the inside trim piece to access the 3 bolts for the mirror. Probably then, since you know which wires on the mirror harness drive the BSM, you cut the power and tapped off the ground and routed these to your replacement. You also had to drill a hole and install the led on the inside mirror trim panel. For my effort, I will have to take one of the mirrors apart or maybe hang a voltmeter off the harness to determine which wire(s) drive my BSM and start the car since the startup blips the BSW. If I am wrong in any of this, please set me straight. I am awaiting the replacement leds coming from China. Hope they manage to make it out of the country with the virus restrictions..

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay. You should be able to figure out how to remove the BSM LED housing from the mirror. Once you remove the mirror, there will be a total of 4 wires. 2 for the BSM LED indicator(black/brown based on the picture from eBay and 2 for the heater) -they are all black - you should see it in the video link. Make sure you mark the heater wire to where it is connected. Just mark one wire and the base/post that way you won't have a problem remembering which wire goes to which post. Once you remove the mirror from the mirror housing, you should have access to the 4 wires. I cut the BSM wire where the wires split at the "Y" junction where the BSM wire and heater wire splits trying to get as much length as possible since the wire will no longer be used from the "Y" junction to the inside of the door. By using the original connectors in the mirror, you can simply detach the cover or panel where you relocated your BSM indicator and disconnect the BSM wire. Once you find and trace the BSM black wire to the inside of the door, all you have to do is cut the black wire close as possible to where the bunch of wires go outside in that hole. This hole feeds the wires to the mirror outside. That way you have a good amount of wire length left. Also cut the same length for the other BSM wire say brown as seen on the ebay picture. I soldered the wires and heat shrink it.

On the indicator you got from China, you have to take away the LED that came with it. Very easy and just peel it off. I believe I used a 3/4 in. drill to make the hole. Use a calipper to verify the size of the hole. Once you cut the hole, align the BSM plastic housing and orient it properly. To do this, you have to put back the window pillar - plastic cover you just made a hole and install it back in place to the door panel. Now put the plastic indicator housing and orient the "car" picture properly while seated in the driver's seat. Make sure you have a masking tape handy before doing this and precut a 2X3 in. tape preferably 2 of them. Once you got the right orientation of the BSM indicator housing on the window pillar/cover, press the BSM indicator with one thumb and using the other hand to cover it with the masking tape securing the position of the BSM indicator on the window pillar/cover. This way, the masking tape holds it in place. I just use a dab of JB weld epoxy on 4 corners with a "+" orientation good enough to hold the BSM indicator to the window pillar/cover. DO NOT over glue or epoxy it. Let it sit overnight to dry it up. The BSM LED housing uses a reflector to beam the light to the BSM plastic indicator. So try to figure out which is the best position then use masking tape over the LED housing to temporarily hold it together on the pillar cover . This way adjustments can be made before you finally put a glue or a plastic glue to hold the LED housing to the window pillar/cover. Once satisfied, just put everything back.

Here is a youtube video on how to remove the mirror glass from the mirror housing. Good luck and I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you - exactly what I needed. BUT am going to try this with a 12V rated LED and leave the original one on the mirror. Managed to order 4 yellow ones from China for cheap. (Link if you want.) My Highlander mirror trim triangle just pops off without taking off the door trim but will need to take door trim off to get at mirror harness. Also, my HL trim triangle on the glass side of it is about 1.5 inches deep which will let me bolt the new led housing in. Geezer1 - if my LEDs do the trick, you might want to resume your project BUT the Sienna triangle looks pretty shallow.. If new LEDs are too bright, I probably can cover with something to dim them.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BE CAREFUL. Voltage supply may no be the same. You mess up the BSM circuitry and you spend a lot of money. I wanted to do that at first but stepped back after reading @Geezer1's post. Check it out here. Adding Interior BSM Indicators There is enough room with the sienna for the one you bought from China if it is the same like mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally got my 12V LED's from China. Took 90 days to arrive because of virus cancelling all air flights. Hooked up 12V battery charger to them and they don't appear to be intrusively bright for my new location on the inside of the door window. I will start a thread on Highlander 3rd generation forum and report back here if success. In the attached picture of one of the LEDs, note that it will intrude inside the door trim at least 1/2 the width of the dime. I have enough clearance at one spot on my trim panel but, from what I can glean from the Sienna mirror, it intrudes too much to fit with the housing my LED's came with.
LED_800x450.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally got my 12V LED's from China. Took 90 days to arrive because of virus cancelling all air flights. Hooked up 12V battery charger to them and they don't appear to be intrusively bright for my new location on the inside of the door window. I will start a thread on Highlander 3rd generation forum and report back here if success. In the attached picture of one of the LEDs, note that it will intrude inside the door trim at least 1/2 the width of the dime. I have enough clearance at one spot on my trim panel but, from what I can glean from the Sienna mirror, it intrudes too much to fit with the housing my LED's came with. View attachment 46690

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just looked at previous posts here and decided to remove metal housing on one of my 4 leds since only need to install 2. It ends up that the LED has a small lip at it's bottom and the white plastic trim piece has another wider lip. It also looks like the white piece can be cut off just leaving the LED. A precisely drilled hole and maybe some glue to hold the LED to a Sienna's trim piece will probably fit.
LED_NoHousing_Small_480x600.jpg
ll probably fit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally got BSM project done on my Highlander. The new LED does not take up much space so might be feasible in Sienna. Look at ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts