Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow siennachat members. I decided to do a DIY mirror conversion from a BSM mirror to a non BSM mirror with blind spot mirror and relocate the BSM indicator/LED light inside the vehicle located on the front door window pillar - don't really know if that is what you call it.. The mirrors are OEM and can be bought online from Toyota parts dealers or from MIT through Ebay. I went with MIT since I could save $20 each mirror. Bought a BSM indicator light from Amazon Amazon.com: Sell by Automotiveapple, Universal Blind Spot Assist LED Warning Light 2-pc Set For Kia Hyundai Chevrolet Renault: Automotive . All I need was the housing for the LED warning light from Amazon. Remove the double sided tape that came with it and pry away the PCB board the holds the LED. I choose round because it is easier to install and cut a hole than going for a square one which I intended to use at first. But cutting a square and making it perfect was harder than cutting a round hole. Looking at the possibilities was not that hard. All I had to do is remove the LED light from the original mirror with BSM which was very easy and the only challenge was removing the door and mirror assembly from the door and pulling the wire for the BSM. I have not got there yet but should have no problem doing it since I know what I am up to after doing the LED turn signal mod. I have took pictures so I can put it up step by step later on. Anyway guys, stay tuned and will post some pictures soon.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
@Geezer1 might be interested in this - he posted a thread trying something similar last year with no luck Adding Interior BSM Indicators
LOL, I've given up on that project for now although I left the little T-taps connected to the wires leading to the BSM indicator in the driver side mirror if I ever want to try again. After frying the Goshers BSM indicators I bought, I'm "once bitten, twice shy". The last thing I want to do is damage the existing BSM system.

At this time of year, the project that I - or my wife to be more exact - would rather resurrect is adding heaters to the Sienna's second row seats. "Her" next vehicle must have heated rear seats. "My" next vehicle isn't going to have rear seats to heat!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Geezer1, why did you not want to use the orignal/OEM BSM LED indicator? It was easy to remove. That is what I plan to use. No need T-taps. Plan to cut the wire from inside and pull it out from the outside then solder them back together inside so you still get to use the factory plugs when you remove the window pillar from the door like factory. I took pictures of the back mirror with the LED BSM indicator in place and without the LED BSM. Very easy to remove. Will post pictures later.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
@Geezer1, why did you not want to use the orignal/OEM BSM LED indicator?
My goal is to keep everything working as much as possible as when a vehicle left the factory and to make only additions to existing vehicle systems. I do that largely in consideration of the next owners who for past few decades have all been younger relatives and friends. Our current 2014 Sienna will likely go to a niece and our 2012 Prius to a grand nephew who recently turned 14 and got a provisional drivers license. I suppose one could say that we "live" with our vehicles long after we part with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts