Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the Sienna chat forum & DIY repair. I have a 2010 Toyota Sienna that had check engine, TRAC, ABS, & VSC lights are on. The DTC code is P0717, when I cleared the code the van will ran for a while without the error code for a while. The code usually came back the car stuttered/jerking at low speed & maybe when the weather warmed up. The problem is intermittent. According to the code P0717, speed sensor A circuit may need to be replace. I could not find any you tube video that shows how to replace the speed sensor A in 2010 Toyota Sienna only on older Sienna which it is more easier to do so. Can someone provide me with more technical assistance on how to troubleshot & repair the problem. Thanks

· Registered
1,381 Posts

It looks like this is thrown from the transmission input speed sensor failing. Replacement looks easy and any Gen2 video will probably give you a good demonstration, as they all use the same transmission. Fair warning, though... While I don't recall the specific code, a friend had his car throw a CEL for a transmission sensor. He needed the new sensor, but they told him the reason it failed was because his transmission fluid was opaque black.

Whatever you do, though, don't clear the codes again until you fix the issue. If you end up having someone else fix it, they won't have anything to work off of.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It looks like this is thrown from the transmission input speed sensor failing. Replacement looks easy and any Gen2 video will probably give you a good demonstration, as they all use the same transmission. Fair warning, though... While I don't recall the specific code, a friend had his car throw a CEL for a transmission sensor. He needed the new sensor, but they told him the reason it failed was because his transmission fluid was opaque black.

Whatever you do, though, don't clear the codes again until you fix the issue. If you end up having someone else fix it, they won't have anything to work off of.
Thank you for the information. I did research for the speed sensor location before, so I know where the speed sensors are located. But since I have new with the DIY Toyota Sienna repair and to get to the sensor it seem I need to take a lot of things above it apart or off. On the video I found on older model you don't need to remove a lot of parts above the sensor off to get to it. I just want to sure that I do it right & not remove anythings that not suppose to be remove. If you find a Gen2 video that show how to replace a speed sensor on a 2010 Toyota Sienna can you forward the link to me. I saw video for the Camry but the engine compact space in the Camry is not condense like the Sienna so it is much easier to get to the sensor. Thanks again.

· Registered
1,381 Posts
I saw one older thread where someone said they had to remove the battery and "air hoses" to get access to the input sensor. I assume they meant they had to remove the air cleaner housing and disconnect all the hoses, but I can't be certain.

· Registered
2 Posts
i have the same problem in my 07" toyota sienna whit code p-0717, i go to the dealer to buy the part, but they tol me this motor has 2 speed sensor, i don"t know which sensor part number is the right, can you guys help me.

· Registered
1 Posts
This site and forum has been a great help and much appreciated. I bought a 2008 AWD Limited in January 2021 with 122,000 miles and it has run flawlessly until...
It is well taken care of, fluids changed regularly and the transmission fluid changed at 122,000 miles. It is now at 137,000.
Hour and a half into a long trip recently and the check engine & VSC lights came on. Engine continued to run normal, temp gauge didn't budge, but the transmission shift points adjusted slightly and at one point it shifted to third and would not shift back to overdrive until the van was stopped, shut down and restarted.
Code reader says P0717 Input/Turbine speed sensor A Circuit No Signal.
Since it was going to come apart I decided to replace both sensors. Called three different Toyota dealers and got three different prices. One of them told me they were the same sensor.
The sensor on the top of the transmission is blue color output sensor and it is part number 89413-48010.
The black input sensor is in a forward position and closer to the driver side wheel from the blue one and is part number 89413-08020.
Tools: 10mm box end wrench, 10&12mm sockets, ratchet and extensions, phillips head screw driver.
Removed the airbox, snorkels and accordion joint. Carefully unplugged the electrical connections which showed no signs of deterioration or damage.
The sensors came out without much effort. There was a little bit of debris attached to the pickup tips, maybe this had something to do with it.
Light coat of atf on the new sensors and they slid in place easily.
Back together and test drive down the highway resulted in normal operation and the CEL, VSC lights are out.
Thanks to the site and the many helpful postings, here's some pictures.

Font Gas Technology Signage Advertising

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Bicycle part Rim

Font Parallel Drawing Auto part Circle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts