Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently working with a Toyota dealership to purchase a 2021 XSE. They informed me that they can not find the necessary code for this feature, even reaching out to their regional office.

Has anyone here been successful in obtaining the front bumper film?
Does anyone know, or knows someone who does, have access to the order code for this film? I could sure use it.

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The following inventory listing I found for a 2021 LE may have the option codes for the paint protection film. It has DI054 for the Front Bumper and 3P for the Hood, Fenders, Mirror Backs and Door Cups. I also attached a screen shot.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks, I will pass it along and see if it works.

·
Registered
06 Highlander Limited AWD/ Retired 09 Sienna XLE FWD / 12 Highlander SE FWD / 21 Sienna Limited AWD
124 Posts
Novice question, but is this film worth it? We will be buying a Sienna soon and I’m just not for sure what to think about that protection.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Novice question, but is this film worth it? We will be buying a Sienna soon and I’m just not for sure what to think about that protection.
It has been highly recommanded to me by a relative who is an experienced mecanic (and who does not sell these ;-) ). So I will add one to mine when it arrives. Of course, when recommanding, I assume that you want to keep the van for a long time.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
510 Posts
It's good if you care a lot about the paint finish. If you never paid attention to bug gut etchings and rock chips, it's not worth it at all.

Mine came with film on mirrors, and hood and I wish they'd done the bumper too.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,751 Posts
I put a film ( not toyota ) on my 06 Sienna front bumper. It looked good for many years but just about 10 years on, it started looking spotty and brownish in color. Right now it is brittle and I am having to use a heat gun to soften it for removal. My daughters Camry 2014, came with a film on the hood. Being a white car the edges of the film started to look dirty so I removed it using a heat gun as well. Whatever adhesive is left on the car is very difficult to remove and the ONLY thing that removed it was an adhesive remover called Rapid Remover adhesive remover. Its on Amazon and forget about goo gone , it is not good enough. So is it worth it? Depends how long you want to keep the vehicle.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think PPF is worth it, especially on the headlights at a bare minimum for fade/yellowing prevention and impact protection.

The rest is cosmetic.
Yes, that's what I'm planning to do. I'll skip the rest for now, just to save money, but headlights for sure. Our previous Murano we used for 6 years without any film at all and it didn't had any visible chips or discoloration, but I could see a slight headlight fuzziness started to form - you wouldn't' normally notice it, unless paying attention to it. On our other car we used for highways mainly - it had numerous paint chips on the front hood and front bumper. Basically I think if you only plan to keep car for 3-5 years - it's probably not worth it, but you can still do headlights.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think PPF is worth it, especially on the headlights at a bare minimum for fade/yellowing prevention and impact protection.

The rest is cosmetic.
Hi, we had the paint protection film (top of the line 3M...apparently there are different grades of film) applied after market by a guy that's been doing this for 20+ years and he said that it is not necessary to do the front bumpers since there are made of a material that doesn't chip. So, unlike a part made of medal which is painted and therefore can chip he recommended that it is not needed. Hope this helps,

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
510 Posts
Hi, we had the paint protection film (top of the line 3M...apparently there are different grades of film) applied after market by a guy that's been doing this for 20+ years and he said that it is not necessary to do the front bumpers since there are made of a material that doesn't chip. So, unlike a part made of medal which is painted and therefore can chip he recommended that it is not needed. Hope this helps,
Thats the most nonsense I've ever heard. The bumper has a paint layer and a clear coat layer the same as any other painted surface on the car. I guarantee you the clear coat and paint can chip in the same way as it can on the hood.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD
204 Posts
Bumpers definitely chip. Almost Mandatory for any sports car that’s low to the ground

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
From our experience painted plastic bumpers suffer rock chip damage substantially less than painted metal surfaces. I suspect that the reasons are that paint used on plastic bumpers contain additives that allow the paint to flex when struck by objects. Paint used on metal bodywork does not contain these additives. And plastic flexes when struck by rocks. Rigid metal bodywork does not flex when impacted.

We have the maximum amount of PPF on our two Toyotas that were sold as accessories in their model years - 2012 Prius v Five and 2014 Sienna Limited. Back then Toyota sold PPF only to cover the front half or so of the hood and the front portions of the front fenders. Retail price back then was $395 - same as today. The paint under the PPF on these two vehicles is in very good condition. The Prius has three nasty rock chips towards the rear of the hood that the PPF doesn't cover and the Sienna has a few minor chips on the hood where there's no PPF.

The bumpers of these two vehicles have had substantially fewer rock chips than the forward facing metal bodywork that's not covered with PPF but that's less relevant for Prius since its had its bumper cover repainted once and then replaced a few years later due to my wife parking by the Braille method. The Sienna's front bumper cover has never been replaced and has only a few small rock chips.

The forward facing paint on metal surfaces of previous vehicle we owned got very beat up with rock and sand chips but we drive in the central and northern Midwest where lots of sand is used on roads in winter. Just one memorable 400 mile winter round trip between Kansas City and Des Moines severely damaged the paint on the front end metal bodywork of my Lexus LS due to high winds blowing sand.

Although bumpers don't seem to be as badly affected by rock and sand chips, I plan to have front bumpers covered with PPF from now on. We usually keep cars a long time and often pass them on to relatives and friends - PPF keeps paint looking much nicer in the long term. Maybe I wouldn't get PPF if I lived in a milder climate.

I think it is pretty great that Toyota offers PPF as a fairly inexpensive accessory. Many car makers don't. As I have mentioned in other threads. the $395 hood/fender PPF package cost me a little less than $220 when I had installed at the factory/port when I ordered our Sienna in 2014. A local Toyota dealership wanted the full $395 retail price plus an additional installation fee to do it after the vehicle arrived.

I think it was summer 1976 that all the front end paint on a VW Rabbit I owned was scoured off down to bare metal and the headlights frosted in a sandstorm in Wyoming ... but that was long before PPF was available.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,751 Posts

The rest is cosmetic.
I put a product called Xpel on my 06 Sienna headlights. It is thicker than the film that comes on these new cars. It lasted just about 11 years and started to distort so I put another set on. I am on the original headlights and they look new except for some superficial cracks that the film covers anyways. No yellowing at all. Here are a few photos on my Sienna , Benz and Volvo.

Attachments

Reactions: DadWagon

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
265 Posts
I would get the PPF for the hood and front roof line when I get the Sienna for sure. The XSE front bumper has so much grill in the front, there really not much expose so I don't think the PPF is needed, also if it get chip, it would be easier to fix with touch up paint and won't rush like the hood.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I put a film ( not toyota ) on my 06 Sienna front bumper. It looked good for many years but just about 10 years on, it started looking spotty and brownish in color. Right now it is brittle and I am having to use a heat gun to soften it for removal. My daughters Camry 2014, came with a film on the hood. Being a white car the edges of the film started to look dirty so I removed it using a heat gun as well. Whatever adhesive is left on the car is very difficult to remove and the ONLY thing that removed it was an adhesive remover called Rapid Remover adhesive remover. Its on Amazon and forget about goo gone , it is not good enough. So is it worth it? Depends how long you want to keep the vehicle.
I'm removing the film on my 2009 and what a pain it is!
The film has turned brittle and developed cracks so I can't pull it off in sheets. The biggest piece I was able to peel off was about 2"x4"...Ugh, it's brutal..
I found I can just rub off the remaining adhesive, no need for a solvent.
The paint looks beautiful underneath which keeps me motivated to get the job done. Otherwise I'd just set the thing on fire and have a beer!LOL

·
Registered
72 Posts
I put a product called Xpel on my 06 Sienna headlights. It is thicker than the film that comes on these new cars. It lasted just about 11 years and started to distort so I put another set on. I am on the original headlights and they look new except for some superficial cracks that the film covers anyways. No yellowing at all. Here are a few photos on my Sienna , Benz and Volvo.
That is amazing!
Looks like it would be good for painted surfaces; I'll look into it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We put it everywhere: front bumper; black area around the front logo; entire hood; side mirrors; inside 4 door handles (no ring scratches - wife has a big rock); rear cargo on top of bumper. We’ll keep the van for 7-10 years.

·
Registered
2022 XSE+TP AWD
156 Posts
Guys, I'm planning to do PPF for my coming SIenna. I watched a few videos and it does not look any difficult. Sounds to me like a good DIY weekend project.

Checked on Amazon, but the widest PPF I found is 12" wide only. But I'd like to get a wider PPF to cover the whole hood.

I found a few kits:

But the price for a film looks a bit... too much.

Where I can get the wider PPF at a more reasonable price? I don't mind cutting the PPF if required.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guys, I'm planning to do PPF for my coming SIenna. I watched a few videos and it does not look any difficult. Sounds to me like a good DIY weekend project.

Checked on Amazon, but the widest PPF I found is 12" wide only. But I'd like to get a wider PPF to cover the whole hood.

I found a few kits:

But the price for a film looks a bit... too much.

Where I can get the wider PPF at a more reasonable price? I don't mind cutting the PPF if required.
Isn't there a page for bulk film on the site? These online vendors are usually the cheapest way we can buy bulk PPF.

I contacted the corporate sales guy from XPEL once, and he refused to sell because I'm not an authorized dealer.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts