Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I purchased pre-cut kits for my 2019 Rav4 Hybrid from nochip.ca back in 2019 and they were of amazing quality (3M, like somebody mentioned above). A bit pricey, but again - amazing quality. I can post some photos, if anyone is interested to see how it looks like.

I was also considering buying in bulk, but trust me - it's going to be a PITA to cut it properly. And, probably, not much cheaper, so I decided it's not worth it.
Going to buy pre-cut kits for the 2022 Sienna I'm still waiting to be delivered.

·
Registered
2022 Platinum
9 Posts
Here in OC/Socal - my preferred shop is so busy, I'm on a 1 month waiting list to get in to the the front hood/bumper, front fender, and mirrors wrapped with Xpel.

·
Registered
2022 Platinum
9 Posts
ps. The film is expensive already. If you were to do it - at least buy the precut templates/kit. You would not want to buy a big roll and try to cut it yourself.

·
Registered
2022 XSE+TP AWD
156 Posts
Isn't there a page for bulk film on the site? These online vendors are usually the cheapest way we can buy bulk PPF.

I contacted the corporate sales guy from XPEL once, and he refused to sell because I'm not an authorized dealer.
TBH, I'm exactly would buy in bulk rather than the kit. I don't mind to cut by myself. Not that difficult, if geared up. I can do more paying less. Nothing wrong with me :)

Will dig deeper when have time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone had any success on a DIY PPF installation on a 4th gen Sienna using pre-cut patterns?
Do you have any questions specific to 4th get Sienna? I did my 2019 Rav4 myself using a pre-cut kit. I did part of the hood, mirrors, fenders, bottom of the doors and some more areas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you have any questions specific to 4th get Sienna? I did my 2019 Rav4 myself using a pre-cut kit. I did part of the hood, mirrors, fenders, bottom of the doors and some more areas.
Wondering about the degree of difficulty for applying ppf to the front bumper and hood.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wondering about the degree of difficulty for applying ppf to the front bumper and hood.
It depends on how handy you are. I had previous experience in the wet application of a privacy film to the windows in my house, which required spraying a soapy solution and then squeezing it out using something like a plastic card. Well, that is a much easier job for sure - the surface is flat, there is no stretching involved. However, it gave me some confidence.

So, for the PPF you need two kinds of spray - one soapy and one with alcohol. The soapy spray is for applying and precise positioning and re-positioning (because it allows the film to slide), also for stretching. Alcohol spray is the one that tacks the film to the surface. There is a technique that you can find on youtube, it's not rocket science, you just need to try it first. I did my first pieces for the mirrors. It took a while but that was where I experienced all the properties of the film. The main one - it can be stretched. For some places, areas with complicated geometry, you need to stretch it in order to follow the contour of the body.

As an example - the hood. The idea is that you spray soapy solution, position the film to roughly match the edges, and then you tack one edge with alcohol spray, just the edge so that you can start stretching the whole piece and tack the other side so that it's aligned at the edge. And then you just squeeze all the water out while positioning it precisely. Imagine that your alcohol solution is like temporary glue that helps you to attach some areas to the surface so that it doesn't move.

Honestly, I wouldn't do the bumper. The reason is - it's a complicated geometry, pre-cut kits are expensive for bumpers, and all the bumpers are plastic, so no rust. To me, the whole idea around PPF is rust prevention. I don't care about the plastic parts, I can use some touch-up pen.

·
Registered
2022 XSE+TP AWD
156 Posts
After watching a few videos looks like I change my mind. Cutting PPF is not that easy. I guess I'll get the pre-cut kit.

Reactions: tonyYOW

·
Registered
16 Posts
It depends on how handy you are. I had previous experience in the wet application of a privacy film to the windows in my house, which required spraying a soapy solution and then squeezing it out using something like a plastic card. Well, that is a much easier job for sure - the surface is flat, there is no stretching involved. However, it gave me some confidence.

So, for the PPF you need two kinds of spray - one soapy and one with alcohol. The soapy spray is for applying and precise positioning and re-positioning (because it allows the film to slide), also for stretching. Alcohol spray is the one that tacks the film to the surface. There is a technique that you can find on youtube, it's not rocket science, you just need to try it first. I did my first pieces for the mirrors. It took a while but that was where I experienced all the properties of the film. The main one - it can be stretched. For some places, areas with complicated geometry, you need to stretch it in order to follow the contour of the body.

As an example - the hood. The idea is that you spray soapy solution, position the film to roughly match the edges, and then you tack one edge with alcohol spray, just the edge so that you can start stretching the whole piece and tack the other side so that it's aligned at the edge. And then you just squeeze all the water out while positioning it precisely. Imagine that your alcohol solution is like temporary glue that helps you to attach some areas to the surface so that it doesn't move.

Honestly, I wouldn't do the bumper. The reason is - it's a complicated geometry, pre-cut kits are expensive for bumpers, and all the bumpers are plastic, so no rust. To me, the whole idea around PPF is rust prevention. I don't care about the plastic parts, I can use some touch-up pen.
I’ve done window tint on my other cars, but it’s so easy to have lint between the film and glass. Do you experience those issues with PPF?

I guess the best thing to do is to start small first. I think I’ll try doing the mirrors and door cups forts then move to the hood. I agree with your comment about the front bumper, especially the part about complicated geometry. I figured having PPF on the front bumper would make removing the bugs easier.

What’s your plan for your hood and fenders? Partial or full? Are you going to PPF other parts of your Sienna?

·
Registered
16 Posts
What’s your plan for your hood and fenders? Partial or full? Are you going to PPF other parts of your Sienna?
Lint is not a problem in this case. There will be lots of spraying involved, everything will come out with the water. Also, you won't see a tiny lint even if it's there.

I think I'll do same parts I've done to my rav4 - partial hood, partial fenders, door cups, mirrors, lower part of all the doors (can't remember how is called), part of the roof right above the windshield (cut it myself from leftover pieces you can purchase from nochip.ca for cheap).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just diy ppf precut kit on my 2022 sienna xle partial hood and fender. Hood and fender easy. front bumper and side mirror require alot of stretch. If it's your first time doing ppf u might want to skip the bumper. I've installed a ppf on my other cars before and the front bumper is the most challenging. If u have a place to do it such at ur garage then give it a try it's fun in a way. U do save alot of money by doing it urself if u don't mind alittle imperfections.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It also depends what color is ur vehicle. If u r a first time installer u will run into problem like glue line , over stretch mark and squeegee hard line. If u have a dark color car it will show through. If u have a white sienna it hides it pretty well. Alot of company selling precut kit offer big discount on the 2nd kit if u failed the first time. Imo if ur first timer and have dark color sienna spend the money. Most likely the front bumper will get u since it required alot of stretch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It also depends what color is ur vehicle. If u r a first time installer u will run into problem like glue line , over stretch mark and squeegee hard line. If u have a dark color car it will show through. If u have a white sienna it hides it pretty well. Alot of company selling precut kit offer big discount on the 2nd kit if u failed the first time. Imo if ur first timer and have dark color sienna spend the money. Most likely the front bumper will get u since it required alot of stretch.
Where did you order your kit from?

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Sienna XSE - Celestial Silver Metallic
18 Posts
I had gotten a quote from my tint shop whom I trust and have done all my past vehicles and then told him I'd think about it. He was very candid in saying Toyota factory paint actually holds up the best in comparison to others especially the luxury Germans. (he primarily does PPF for a local Porsche dealer and regular clients on the weekends)

I took his opinion as a grain of salt and then explored DIY, but in the end decided not to do it. This post may sway me to try DIY though...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had gotten a quote from my tint shop whom I trust and have done all my past vehicles and then told him I'd think about it. He was very candid in saying Toyota factory paint actually holds up the best in comparison to others especially the luxury Germans. (he primarily does PPF for a local Porsche dealer and regular clients on the weekends)

I took his opinion as a grain of salt and then explored DIY, but in the end decided not to do it. This post may sway me to try DIY though...
I have a 2010 RAV4 and it doesn’t have PPF on the hood. It has several chips in the forward portion of the hood. Makes me believe that I need to have at least a partial PPF on the hood.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I purchased the precut kit from North tints store for $298 3m scotchgard pro it comes with bumper , partial hood , fender , headlight , foglight , side mirror , door cups and front grill.
Please give me your recommended order of pieces to apply from easiest to most difficult.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts