Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm a happy new 98 Sienna owner. Only snag is it seems dated with those lower grey body panels. Has anyone painted them to match the van? I wonder if the texture rules out painting :confused:
Pictures if you got em.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Never heard of anyone doing this. There are Siennas with color-keyed painted panels (and mirrors, usually the XLE model or the Symphony in 2001-2003), but they came from the factory that way, and the plastic is different. Not sure painting is a great idea, but you could try. I'm wondering if the panels would flex, either from bumps in the road, or from changes in temperature.

Ever heard of 303 Aerospace Protectant? It works well getting the grey panels to look better. You'd have to reapply every several weeks to keep up the look, though...

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had a Caprice that had plastic bumpers that were two-toned, the top half was metallic blue and the bottom half was grey. I used a Duplicolor plastic primer on the whole thing and then used Duplicolor grey bumper paint on the bottom half. For the top half, since the bumper paint only came in a few colors, like grey, white and black (as I recall) and I wanted metallic blue, I used regular body paint (again Duplicolor). The grey bumper paint lasted well but the regular paint (the blue) ended up falling off, not all of it, but maybe 20% and looked terrible.

If you just want white maybe it would work with bumper paint.

Rustoleum came out with a plastic paint a few years ago too. But truthfully, everything I've ever used from Duplicolor and Rustoleum has come off as second rate paint compared to the good paints I've used like Dupont, Interlux, PPG and Martin Senior. The better paints looked way thicker and covered way better.

Last week I painted the front (from the windshield forward) of my 2000 Sienna with Interlux Brightside and it came out (to me) pretty good. That is marine paint and it's absolutely killer stuff. It goes really far too, a $50 quart did two coats on my fenders and 4 on my hood with a bit left over, way better than spray cans cost and quality wise. I painted the plastic grille and it looks great but only time will tell how it lasts, plus the grille is different plastic than the lower plastic panels. It could be that the Interlux would work over plastic primer, I don't know for sure though. Painting plastic is always iffy.

25 years ago I painted the vinyl roof of a 70's Bonneville with paint from Napa. I picked the color out and they mixed it. I think the Napa paints were Martin Senior at that time, they might still be. I remember them adding something they called a "flexible addititive" to the paint so it would be able to bend without cracking like my blue paint did on the Caprice. It came out great, looked factory.

BTW on the Sienna I used one of Harbor Freight's purple cheapo HVLP guns and it worked fine although the needle nozzle was in there so tight I couldn't remove it to clean in there so I'm sending the gun back for a replacement, even though I used it twice they said that was ok. The amount of paint it used and the lack of overspray compared to my old school Devilbus 502 gun was really nice. For $30 the Harbor Freight gun (it's the $16 one with a regulator) is quite good but I'd rather have a better one and I'm looking at a cheapo Sharp (around $120).

If you use spray cans it really helps to buy a trigger that snaps on to the top of the can and I always use a paint respirator.

I've thought about painting the Sienna's panels too and thought the coolest way would be to bondo in the indentations that spell "Sienna" and do a 3m wrap.

I fear on the body panels that it would be likely the paint would get chipped easily because of rocks that the wheels spit up. That's why Toyota used plastic there isn't it?

Why are there so many gen 1 white Sienna's with chipped-to-hell hoods like mine was? I saw another one today and I've seen several on Craigslist, almost all have been white.

Why are my posts so long? Because I talk fast.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hmm this seems interesting. wonder if that rattle can rustoleum for plastic will actually work if surface is cleaned up good with denatured alcohol?

my van is gold and just put in black aftermarket handles on it as they were cheap. black wheels and black cladding may look alright.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think your van would look better with black lower panels. The stuff I used was Dupli-Color Flexible Bumper Coating FB109 from O'Reilly or Checker.

I saw an "LE" model and it looked like the bumper was factory painted silver. You could see where the paint had scraped off and underneath it looked like the same grey plastic my unpainted bumper is made of.

I bought a spray can trigger for about $6 and was surprised how much it helped. It made it easier to hold the spray button fully down so the paint went on more consistently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think your van would look better with black lower panels. The stuff I used was Dupli-Color Flexible Bumper Coating FB109 from O'Reilly or Checker.

I saw an "LE" model and it looked like the bumper was factory painted silver. You could see where the paint had scraped off and underneath it looked like the same grey plastic my unpainted bumper is made of.

I bought a spray can trigger for about $6 and was surprised how much it helped. It made it easier to hold the spray button fully down so the paint went on more consistently.

Was it difficult to take of the plastic panels to pain them? Was it hard t put them back on afterwards?

About how many cans did you use if you remember?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Was it difficult to take of the plastic panels to pain them? Was it hard t put them back on afterwards?

About how many cans did you use if you remember?
I never painted my Sienna's lower panels, I used the flexible bumper paint on another vehicle.

If I did I don't think I'd take the panels off, I'd just mask them and do it in place. It's nice to have a new roll of masking tape when you do a masking tape job and I would put old sheets or tarps over the glass because I've had problems with slight mist overspray on glass before.

My guess would be 2 cans, maybe 3 to do a Sienna.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I did read the replies. Painting wouldn't be an issue with factory prepainted panels. Maybe someday.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I finally did it. Good so far. Clean with TSP, rust-oleum plastic adhesive promoter primer, ppg and urethane clear paint (fender & plastic only). We'll see if it lasts.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I painted mine to match but da plastic dont shine like the rest of the van....only time i had to touch it up is when my girl bumps other cars parking....oh yeah and i made an oddesey lip fit my front bumper

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried duplicolor at first but it chipped off, then i sanded everthing off and tried rustolium verson of plastic dip....i put a new coat on every month ....im thinkin about sanding off that and try duplicolor again but wit the adhesive promotor to see if it works better this time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts