Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to admit this but was curious how everyone else is handling parking into a stall or within the lines?

I don't know if it is just the sienna but having driven large SUVs, to other minivans without exception, I struggle with gen 3 sienna given its sheer size of the van and low hood line. I swear I must do a lot of 3 point turns just to pull in correctly.

Unlike most cars/SUV where I can see the hood line and use that to gauage the distance between the front bumper and another object like a parked car, the sienna's hood line just curves down so hard to pin point anything. Tried adjusting seating position to the highest point and doesn't really help.

knock on wood no instances yet but had a couple of close calls where I was awfully close to a stationary object.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna XLE Premium 8 Passengers 🚐
119 Posts
I think you just need more practice to hone in your spatial awareness. It'll eventually become routine.

Maybe adjust the seating to get you a better vantage point.

I drive a nimble sport sedan as a DD and going from that to the Sienna proves no challenge after a day or two when i first got the van. I can normally get in a spot in one move going forward and 2 in reverse.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You'll get used to it. Prior to my Odyssey, I came from a Camry that had a long hood. I was accustomed to using the hood line to gauge whether my car was straight. The first month or two of owning the Odyssey, I kept parking the thing crooked and over the lines. I got used to it with time.

I found my 2011 Sienna to be exactly the same as the Odyssey when parking. You'll just have to get used to the distance. It's quite a wide car too.

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
215 Posts
The difficulty I have is adjusting to the Sienna's smallness! Mostly I'm parking a bus, which is always backed in for parking, and the long wheelbase means one needs to plan way in advance. The Sienna is too responsive!

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
412 Posts
Whenever possible, I BACK into a space. The mirrors let me look down the sides of the van and the camera tells me when to stop.

Backing into a spot started when I was a teenager. Not so much for ease of parking as it was the convenience of opening the hood for a jump start.

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
215 Posts
For smaller parking lots, backing in is much easier because you are steering with the end of the van that isn’t already locked into a narrow space and your mirrors (and reverse camera) give you better side visibility than you get looking out the front. And getting out is safer because you can see.

Nosing into a parking space when there isn’t much turning space, you are just limited by the width and wheelbase with any larger vehicle. Sure, if you could see better it would be easier, but you will always need more side room nosing in than you would backing in. Practice with the camera and mirrors, and backing in will become second nature.

·
Registered
108 Posts
sounds like you need a pair of bumper guides

Reactions: 2018 XLE

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hate to admit this but was curious how everyone else is handling parking into a stall or within the lines?

I don't know if it is just the sienna but having driven large SUVs, to other minivans without exception, I struggle with gen 3 sienna given its sheer size of the van and low hood line. I swear I must do a lot of 3 point turns just to pull in correctly.

Unlike most cars/SUV where I can see the hood line and use that to gauage the distance between the front bumper and another object like a parked car, the sienna's hood line just curves down so hard to pin point anything. Tried adjusting seating position to the highest point and doesn't really help.

knock on wood no instances yet but had a couple of close calls where I was awfully close to a stationary object.
I second the advice to back into spaces. Once you get used to it, it is so much easier and you won't want to go back. As far as gauging distance, When I took my driver's test in my mom's 2015, one of the requirements was to pull up within two feet of a line. With trial and error, I found where I needed to place my head so that when the line appeared under the driver's mirror, I knew I was within two feet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like you had a great drivers ed instructor. Forget the camera and let the "Force" be with you Jedi. Parallel parking is a piece of cake with the Sienna, then again I grew up using a millennial anti theft device,(a stick shift). Don't feel bad, our neighbor didn't know how to put paper in a manual typewriter. Practice a lot. Practice makes perfect. when you get the hang of it, it's a great advantage because people don't like to parallel park, I don't mind it at all and I get some good parking spots because of it. hang tough, you can do it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
OP, have you ever considered practicing how to BACK/Reverse into a parking space? It sounds like it will be harder but actually its A LOT EASIER with backup cameras and parking sensors.

Once you start to do this, I promise you... you will never again want to park head in first. I actually find parking head in super annoying and its more of a danger to BACK OUT of a parking space (much safer to just pull forward straight out of a parking space).

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
412 Posts
It sounds like it will be harder but actually its A LOT EASIER with backup cameras and parking sensors.
As mentioned earlier, I have been backing up for YEARS, long before cameras were an option. Although I do like the camera, I still don't use it except to scan for obstacles and to see when to stop. For general parking, lining up between the lines, not hitting cars, etc., I still use the mirrors.

·
Registered
‘15 XLE AWD
50 Posts
To the OP bmwstephen, it’s not just you.
There’s something about the proportions and layout of the Sienna that make it feel peculiar in confined maneuvering. I’m 6’, been driving over 30 years, owned a variety of vehicles including vans and trucks, and our Sienna is just oddly hard to precisely judge, maybe even moreso than my father’s LWB F-150 w/ a cap and no camera.

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
215 Posts
I think the sloping nose and tall sides make it hard to judge how close you are to things. I see a LOT of Siennas with scratches and scrapes on the right side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts