Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone. I just bought an '05 Sienna LE with 109k miles and the owner said the timing belt was never changed. I'm going to supply my mechanic with parts and have him do the work. I was looking around Rockauto at kits and my dad said, "Are you gonna replace everything with those parts or get OEM?" I think this is a valid point. This is (hopefully) only a once every 100k miles repair so it's probably wise to put in quality parts. That being said, question one is: Is there a reputable place to get quality OEM parts online to save money on dealership prices?

I found this one on eBay. It includes:
  • timing belt​
  • water pump with gasket
  • timing belt tensioner
  • timing belt idler
  • automatic tension adjuster
  • two accessory drive belts
  • front crankshaft seal
  • two camshaft seals
I'm truly quite ignorant about what all goes into this repair. I've also seen kits that include other items such as:
  1. a hydraulic timing belt actuator
  2. thermostat and gasket
  3. upper timing belt idler bearing
  4. lower timing belt idler bearing
  5. camshaft belt tensioner
  6. camshaft belt idler

Questions two and three are: Is the eBay kit legitimate? Which parts do I need to make this a one and done job for the next 100k miles?

Thanks so much for reading this long and detailed post. I sincerely appreciate your insight.
Have a great day!!!

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,678 Posts
The kit you want is AISIN TKT-026 , $ 163 , from amazon. Ebay been getting a bad rap for substandard parts. Does not include the seals. Are any of your seals leaking? I changed all three seals at 168k miles when I installed the third timing belt and water pump and they were fine. However , it's one of those times that "since you are there" for a few more bucks might as well change them and not have to worry for another 100k miles. Use only genuine toyota seals.
FYI . I believe Toyota owns Denso as well Aisin which are part suppliers.

Reactions: thanwu

·
Registered
561 Posts
AISIN kits. All the way. They're the OEM for the timing belt/seals. I am fairly certain the '05 is identical to the '06. This is what I got.

You'll also likely need a jug of coolant. I get that at the Toyota dealer. It's all basically the same price everywhere for the "correct" coolant, so I figure it makes sense to get it there. Dealer is only 0.75 miles from my house, though, so you might opt for a different option.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ditto Paul and Bill. RockAuto has it $10 cheaper but of course you'll pay shipping. I didn't do any seals @150K because none were leaking.

Unsolicited advice: Loosen and remove these two bolts before you drain the coolant or even jack the van up. That way if you run into that common problem you won't have a partially disassembled van sitting in your driveway or garage.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,678 Posts
Unsolicited advice
Roader, Awesome that you mention this !
I watched many videos and read many blogs regarding what you mention here. I went ahead and purchased new bolts and a new bracket in anticipation and sure enough this was indeed one of the difficult moments in the Timing Belt renewal. One bolt completely snapped and the other I had to use a hacksaw blade to cut through. That bracket is in my home garage somewhere with a part of the bolt still in it. So I prepped for the next time by cleaning out the the holes in the bracket which widened them a tad and added anti seize inside as well as on the entire length of the bolts and threads. There was quite a bit of corrosion in the holes which added to the difficulty of removing the bolts. Ingress of moisture and water down these holes from the top of the bracket no doubt added to the corrosion process and to negate this from happening , after the install was completed , I covered all bolt head areas and any spaces where water could flow into with grease. I wont know the effectiveness of my crazy method till the next belt change. The right bolt shown here is one of those long ones , the other is behind and not shown. All greased up to prevent water from entering the bolt hole.
Grey Artifact Personal protective equipment Breastplate Metal

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just wanted to add my two cents. There are a lot of counterfeit/fake timing belt kits circulating around Amazon and Ebay. I would be very, very cautious buying from there. I guess I might be comfortable buying the Aisin kit directly from Amazon (not a 3rd party seller).

If you can, and if it's available, I would advise you to buy from Rock Auto. They have much better control over their supply chain and I have confidence that they are selling legit, non-counterfeit parts.

As the others have mentioned, get the Aisin kit, it's basically OEM for all intents and purposes. If you choose to go with another branded kit, get an OEM water pump - basically any water pump besides Aisin (which is the OE supplier to Toyota) is trash.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much everyone! This is all good news.

It seems everyone is in agreement on the AISIN kit. It looks like this kit comes with a water pump with gaskets, hydraulic tensioner, idler bearings, tensioner bearings and the t belt. I understand the seals and coolant need to be purchased separately.

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm getting confused by all the tensioners, pulleys, idlers, bearings, etc. and it kind of seems like some of them are just overlapping names. That being said, would any of the following items (or others not listed) make sense to purchase in addition to the kit?
  1. timing belt tensioner
  2. timing belt idler
  3. automatic tension adjuster
  4. two accessory drive belts
  5. a hydraulic timing belt actuator
  6. thermostat and gasket
  7. upper timing belt idler bearing
  8. lower timing belt idler bearing
  9. camshaft belt tensioner
  10. camshaft belt idler
Thanks again for all your help; I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
830 Posts
That Aisin kit has all you need for a TB/WP change. If you need new alternator or PS pump belts, get them. The T-stat is on the other side of the engine; no need to change it unless it needs it, and there's little advantage doing it at the same time.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,678 Posts
If you need the two long bolts mentioned in the link that Roader provided ( one of mine broke and one was so badly corroded I tossed it) then the part number is 90119-10766, runs about 11 bucks each , discounted. If you are unable to reuse the lower bracket due to stuck broken off bolts , or for whatever reason the part number is 1231520020. And as mentioned before some red toyota coolant. The Aisin kits will provide most of the parts needed .

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks so much everyone! This is all good news.

It seems everyone is in agreement on the AISIN kit. It looks like this kit comes with a water pump with gaskets, hydraulic tensioner, idler bearings, tensioner bearings and the t belt. I understand the seals and coolant need to be purchased separately.

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm getting confused by all the tensioners, pulleys, idlers, bearings, etc. and it kind of seems like some of them are just overlapping names. That being said, would any of the following items (or others not listed) make sense to purchase in addition to the kit?
  1. timing belt tensioner
  2. timing belt idler
  3. automatic tension adjuster
  4. two accessory drive belts
  5. a hydraulic timing belt actuator
  6. thermostat and gasket
  7. upper timing belt idler bearing
  8. lower timing belt idler bearing
  9. camshaft belt tensioner
  10. camshaft belt idler
Thanks again for all your help; I really appreciate it!
As Roader mentioned, the Aisin kit comes with all the tensioners, idlers, bearings that you need.

I believe the two accessory drive belts do need to come off to do the TB job, if I'm remembering correctly, or at least the alternator belt needs to come off. I would replace them at the same time. These belts are less important in the sense that they won't destroy the engine if they break, and you can visually inspect them quite easily, so any reputable brand will do.

I agree with Roader that the thermostat doesn't really need to be done right now - the only advantage is your coolant is already drained. It doesn't need to come off for the TB job. If you do choose to replace it, get an Aisin or OEM only - there's really no point in replacing with a lower quality one.

Just another two cents - I think the chances of your radiator needing replacement might be higher than the chances of your thermostat going bad. Personally, I would consider swapping out both the radiator and thermostat at some point as preventative maintenance if you're going to be keeping the car long term. The engine and transmission have a long way to go at 109K, but at this age, it's somewhat common for the plastic radiators to crack. My opinion is that chances are, the car's going to need a radiator sometime in the next ~50-100K, so you may as well get it out of the way and not risk a breakdown. But these can wait until a later time, no need to do them at the same time as the timing belt job.

Reactions: BillG

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,678 Posts
I believe the two accessory drive belts do need to come off to do the TB job, if I'm remembering correctly, or at least the alternator belt needs to come off. I would replace them at the same time.
Good advice here! Yes they have to come off and I replaced mine when I did the belt change.
Alternator belt ...Bando 6PK1040
Steering pump...Bando 4PK 880

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That Aisin kit has all you need for a TB/WP change. If you need new alternator or PS pump belts, get them. The T-stat is on the other side of the engine; no need to change it unless it needs it, and there's little advantage doing it at the same time.
Thanks so much for clearing that up. I'm on it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you need the two long bolts mentioned in the link that Roader provided ( one of mine broke and one was so badly corroded I tossed it) then the part number is 90119-10766, runs about 11 bucks each , discounted. If you are unable to reuse the lower bracket due to stuck broken off bolts , or for whatever reason the part number is 1231520020. And as mentioned before some red toyota coolant. The Aisin kits will provide most of the parts needed .
Thanks for the part numbers. Would these be coming from the dealer?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As Roader mentioned, the Aisin kit comes with all the tensioners, idlers, bearings that you need.

I believe the two accessory drive belts do need to come off to do the TB job, if I'm remembering correctly, or at least the alternator belt needs to come off. I would replace them at the same time. These belts are less important in the sense that they won't destroy the engine if they break, and you can visually inspect them quite easily, so any reputable brand will do.

I agree with Roader that the thermostat doesn't really need to be done right now - the only advantage is your coolant is already drained. It doesn't need to come off for the TB job. If you do choose to replace it, get an Aisin or OEM only - there's really no point in replacing with a lower quality one.

Just another two cents - I think the chances of your radiator needing replacement might be higher than the chances of your thermostat going bad. Personally, I would consider swapping out both the radiator and thermostat at some point as preventative maintenance if you're going to be keeping the car long term. The engine and transmission have a long way to go at 109K, but at this age, it's somewhat common for the plastic radiators to crack. My opinion is that chances are, the car's going to need a radiator sometime in the next ~50-100K, so you may as well get it out of the way and not risk a breakdown. But these can wait until a later time, no need to do them at the same time as the timing belt job.
I was actually going to ask about the radiator but figured that was too much for one post. Aside from the T stat and radiator, what other parts are necessary? I imagine there are some hoses and clamps. Looking at some posts on here, it's a bit of a PITA compared to other radiator changes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
AISIN kits. All the way. They're the OEM for the timing belt/seals. I am fairly certain the '05 is identical to the '06. This is what I got.

You'll also likely need a jug of coolant. I get that at the Toyota dealer. It's all basically the same price everywhere for the "correct" coolant, so I figure it makes sense to get it there. Dealer is only 0.75 miles from my house, though, so you might opt for a different option.
Thanks for the amazon links! I see a lot of confusion on these forums about the correct coolant so I think I'll just go to the dealer. Do I need one gallon of coolant or two?

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,678 Posts
Would these be coming from the dealer?
Yes from the dealer , but honestly I have not looked elsewhere like rockauto.
Update: I just checked amazon and they have a kit ( mount plus bolts for $36 , Dorman 917-189). Might be good to have , just in case and if not used at all then do a return. I have no experience with Dorman.
BTW , timing belt kit is Aisin TKT-026...also seen on Amazon

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,678 Posts
Here is a video that I watched over and over again before I tackled my first ever timing belt change on a V6 which turned out rather well. Even the most seasoned mechanic could learn a thing or two from any video regarding this. Cheers

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,678 Posts
For your continuing education here is another vid about the engines .

1 - 20 of 47 Posts