Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone. I just bought an '05 Sienna LE with 109k miles and the owner said the timing belt was never changed. I'm going to supply my mechanic with parts and have him do the work. I was looking around Rockauto at kits and my dad said, "Are you gonna replace everything with those parts or get OEM?" I think this is a valid point. This is (hopefully) only a once every 100k miles repair so it's probably wise to put in quality parts. That being said, question one is: Is there a reputable place to get quality OEM parts online to save money on dealership prices?

I found this one on eBay. It includes:
  • timing belt​
  • water pump with gasket
  • timing belt tensioner
  • timing belt idler
  • automatic tension adjuster
  • two accessory drive belts
  • front crankshaft seal
  • two camshaft seals
I'm truly quite ignorant about what all goes into this repair. I've also seen kits that include other items such as:
  1. a hydraulic timing belt actuator
  2. thermostat and gasket
  3. upper timing belt idler bearing
  4. lower timing belt idler bearing
  5. camshaft belt tensioner
  6. camshaft belt idler

Questions two and three are: Is the eBay kit legitimate? Which parts do I need to make this a one and done job for the next 100k miles?

Thanks so much for reading this long and detailed post. I sincerely appreciate your insight.
Have a great day!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much everyone! This is all good news.

It seems everyone is in agreement on the AISIN kit. It looks like this kit comes with a water pump with gaskets, hydraulic tensioner, idler bearings, tensioner bearings and the t belt. I understand the seals and coolant need to be purchased separately.

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm getting confused by all the tensioners, pulleys, idlers, bearings, etc. and it kind of seems like some of them are just overlapping names. That being said, would any of the following items (or others not listed) make sense to purchase in addition to the kit?
  1. timing belt tensioner
  2. timing belt idler
  3. automatic tension adjuster
  4. two accessory drive belts
  5. a hydraulic timing belt actuator
  6. thermostat and gasket
  7. upper timing belt idler bearing
  8. lower timing belt idler bearing
  9. camshaft belt tensioner
  10. camshaft belt idler
Thanks again for all your help; I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That Aisin kit has all you need for a TB/WP change. If you need new alternator or PS pump belts, get them. The T-stat is on the other side of the engine; no need to change it unless it needs it, and there's little advantage doing it at the same time.
Thanks so much for clearing that up. I'm on it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you need the two long bolts mentioned in the link that Roader provided ( one of mine broke and one was so badly corroded I tossed it) then the part number is 90119-10766, runs about 11 bucks each , discounted. If you are unable to reuse the lower bracket due to stuck broken off bolts , or for whatever reason the part number is 1231520020. And as mentioned before some red toyota coolant. The Aisin kits will provide most of the parts needed .
Thanks for the part numbers. Would these be coming from the dealer?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As Roader mentioned, the Aisin kit comes with all the tensioners, idlers, bearings that you need.

I believe the two accessory drive belts do need to come off to do the TB job, if I'm remembering correctly, or at least the alternator belt needs to come off. I would replace them at the same time. These belts are less important in the sense that they won't destroy the engine if they break, and you can visually inspect them quite easily, so any reputable brand will do.

I agree with Roader that the thermostat doesn't really need to be done right now - the only advantage is your coolant is already drained. It doesn't need to come off for the TB job. If you do choose to replace it, get an Aisin or OEM only - there's really no point in replacing with a lower quality one.

Just another two cents - I think the chances of your radiator needing replacement might be higher than the chances of your thermostat going bad. Personally, I would consider swapping out both the radiator and thermostat at some point as preventative maintenance if you're going to be keeping the car long term. The engine and transmission have a long way to go at 109K, but at this age, it's somewhat common for the plastic radiators to crack. My opinion is that chances are, the car's going to need a radiator sometime in the next ~50-100K, so you may as well get it out of the way and not risk a breakdown. But these can wait until a later time, no need to do them at the same time as the timing belt job.
I was actually going to ask about the radiator but figured that was too much for one post. Aside from the T stat and radiator, what other parts are necessary? I imagine there are some hoses and clamps. Looking at some posts on here, it's a bit of a PITA compared to other radiator changes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
AISIN kits. All the way. They're the OEM for the timing belt/seals. I am fairly certain the '05 is identical to the '06. This is what I got.

You'll also likely need a jug of coolant. I get that at the Toyota dealer. It's all basically the same price everywhere for the "correct" coolant, so I figure it makes sense to get it there. Dealer is only 0.75 miles from my house, though, so you might opt for a different option.
Thanks for the amazon links! I see a lot of confusion on these forums about the correct coolant so I think I'll just go to the dealer. Do I need one gallon of coolant or two?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes from the dealer , but honestly I have not looked elsewhere like rockauto.
Update: I just checked amazon and they have a kit ( mount plus bolts for $36 , Dorman 917-189). Might be good to have , just in case and if not used at all then do a return. I have no experience with Dorman.
BTW , timing belt kit is Aisin TKT-026...also seen on Amazon
Sweet action. Looks like the kit has free returns on Amazon. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Here is a video that I watched over and over again before I tackled my first ever timing belt change on a V6 which turned out rather well. Even the most seasoned mechanic could learn a thing or two from any video regarding this. Cheers
I watched the first few minutes and it's very detailed. I will certainly pass this on. Thanks again!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Roader mentioned the thermostat housing/tube - I believe they are plastic and can crack eventually, so probably a good idea to change that at the same time.

The main hoses are the upper and lower radiator hoses. While I almost always try to buy quality aftermarket parts to avoid the "OE" branded premium, for whatever reason, the OE Toyota hoses are significantly better than anything in the aftermarket. If you're planning on replacing with some inferior hoses, I'd probably suggest that you just reuse the old hoses, since I think they should last a bit longer than 109K. But, the best option would be to replace the hoses with new OEM ones. I'd probably buy the OEM thermostat tube just to ensure you're getting a quality one.

I imagine you could probably reuse some of the hose clamps, but it might be a good idea to get all new ones while you're at it. Stick with the spring type clamps - the worm/screw type ones don't allow the hoses to flex as much. If they're not rusted, I think you should be fine reusing them. If you need to buy new ones, I'd also advise OEM ones - despite rarely buying OEM parts.
That's all good information. I will consider getting the t stat housing/tube in addition to the two hoses. Thanks again!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So, I am not 100% positive on this. I've never done a timing belt change. I was going to tackle it myself and then had an impromptu 800 road trip come up and had to pay to have it done. I delivered the timing/water pump kit, the seal kit and two belts with my van and they said it would be about 2 hours. I called them after 5 hours and they said they just finished up because they had to send someone over to the dealer for a gallon of coolant. I think the full cooling system holds 3.5 gallons, but I don't believe you have to drain it down to replace the water pump. Maybe someone else (@paul r ?) can chime in on how much it required.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
IIRC it took a tad over 1 gallon so I would get two , this for the timing belt only. For the leftovers drain the equivalent amount of the old coolant from the radiator and top off. Though not a complete flush at least the quality of the coolant , considering the age and mileage ,is brought back up to some degree.
Gotcha. I just called the dealership and it's $30 per gallon!!! Is there a reputable place to get this online or a solid alternative by chance? Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I get the genuine from a parts store named Parts Plus. It is like 24 bucks or so. Check if there is one near you. You could call other local parts store to see if they carry genuine toyota fluids. Parts plus carries both Honda and Toyota fluids. See if your local dealer has an online parts store and if they do chances are it will be discounted then opt for in store pickup. This is what i do for my parts purchase as my dealer is only 4 miles down the road then I don't have to pay for shipping. Sometimes the dealers offer free shipping over a certain dollar purchase amount.
PS , you don't want the pink one but the red coolant. My daughters 2014 uses the pink one. Just sayin
Sounds like a plan. Thanks again Paul, you've been a huge help!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Hello again. I just thought of something: Are there any special tools needed for this job that a mechanic wouldn't likely have. My mechanic said he had to buy a special tool once to do a t belt on a ford. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well, I would STRONGLY advise you to replace the rear brakes! With the XLE, you should have traction control and 4-wheel discs. If you have any kind of emergency braking and/or traction loss, you may find something bad and unexpected happens. But, yes, I have a similar experience with mine. I've put roughly $1000 per year into the van for the past 3 or 4 years, but, before that, it was on the order of $200 or less per year. I have to address the rear end ($1500) soon and will probably need a whole new exhaust ($1500) in the not-too-distant future. After that, I expect the van to return back to a $200/year cost.
At how many miles did you start getting into the 1k/year repair costs? Is that parts and labor? Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts