Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
I was actually going to ask about the radiator but figured that was too much for one post. Aside from the T stat and radiator, what other parts are necessary? I imagine there are some hoses and clamps. Looking at some posts on here, it's a bit of a PITA compared to other radiator changes.
Roader mentioned the thermostat housing/tube - I believe they are plastic and can crack eventually, so probably a good idea to change that at the same time.

The main hoses are the upper and lower radiator hoses. While I almost always try to buy quality aftermarket parts to avoid the "OE" branded premium, for whatever reason, the OE Toyota hoses are significantly better than anything in the aftermarket. If you're planning on replacing with some inferior hoses, I'd probably suggest that you just reuse the old hoses, since I think they should last a bit longer than 109K. But, the best option would be to replace the hoses with new OEM ones. I'd probably buy the OEM thermostat tube just to ensure you're getting a quality one.

I imagine you could probably reuse some of the hose clamps, but it might be a good idea to get all new ones while you're at it. Stick with the spring type clamps - the worm/screw type ones don't allow the hoses to flex as much. If they're not rusted, I think you should be fine reusing them. If you need to buy new ones, I'd also advise OEM ones - despite rarely buying OEM parts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes from the dealer , but honestly I have not looked elsewhere like rockauto.
Update: I just checked amazon and they have a kit ( mount plus bolts for $36 , Dorman 917-189). Might be good to have , just in case and if not used at all then do a return. I have no experience with Dorman.
BTW , timing belt kit is Aisin TKT-026...also seen on Amazon
Sweet action. Looks like the kit has free returns on Amazon. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Here is a video that I watched over and over again before I tackled my first ever timing belt change on a V6 which turned out rather well. Even the most seasoned mechanic could learn a thing or two from any video regarding this. Cheers
I watched the first few minutes and it's very detailed. I will certainly pass this on. Thanks again!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Roader mentioned the thermostat housing/tube - I believe they are plastic and can crack eventually, so probably a good idea to change that at the same time.

The main hoses are the upper and lower radiator hoses. While I almost always try to buy quality aftermarket parts to avoid the "OE" branded premium, for whatever reason, the OE Toyota hoses are significantly better than anything in the aftermarket. If you're planning on replacing with some inferior hoses, I'd probably suggest that you just reuse the old hoses, since I think they should last a bit longer than 109K. But, the best option would be to replace the hoses with new OEM ones. I'd probably buy the OEM thermostat tube just to ensure you're getting a quality one.

I imagine you could probably reuse some of the hose clamps, but it might be a good idea to get all new ones while you're at it. Stick with the spring type clamps - the worm/screw type ones don't allow the hoses to flex as much. If they're not rusted, I think you should be fine reusing them. If you need to buy new ones, I'd also advise OEM ones - despite rarely buying OEM parts.
That's all good information. I will consider getting the t stat housing/tube in addition to the two hoses. Thanks again!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thanks for the amazon links! I see a lot of confusion on these forums about the correct coolant so I think I'll just go to the dealer. Do I need one gallon of coolant or two?
So, I am not 100% positive on this. I've never done a timing belt change. I was going to tackle it myself and then had an impromptu 800 road trip come up and had to pay to have it done. I delivered the timing/water pump kit, the seal kit and two belts with my van and they said it would be about 2 hours. I called them after 5 hours and they said they just finished up because they had to send someone over to the dealer for a gallon of coolant. I think the full cooling system holds 3.5 gallons, but I don't believe you have to drain it down to replace the water pump. Maybe someone else (@paul r ?) can chime in on how much it required.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,678 Posts
IIRC it took a tad over 1 gallon so I would get two , this for the timing belt only. For the leftovers drain the equivalent amount of the old coolant from the radiator and top off. Though not a complete flush at least the quality of the coolant , considering the age and mileage ,is brought back up to some degree.

Reactions: BillG

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So, I am not 100% positive on this. I've never done a timing belt change. I was going to tackle it myself and then had an impromptu 800 road trip come up and had to pay to have it done. I delivered the timing/water pump kit, the seal kit and two belts with my van and they said it would be about 2 hours. I called them after 5 hours and they said they just finished up because they had to send someone over to the dealer for a gallon of coolant. I think the full cooling system holds 3.5 gallons, but I don't believe you have to drain it down to replace the water pump. Maybe someone else (@paul r ?) can chime in on how much it required.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
IIRC it took a tad over 1 gallon so I would get two , this for the timing belt only. For the leftovers drain the equivalent amount of the old coolant from the radiator and top off. Though not a complete flush at least the quality of the coolant , considering the age and mileage ,is brought back up to some degree.
Gotcha. I just called the dealership and it's $30 per gallon!!! Is there a reputable place to get this online or a solid alternative by chance? Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,678 Posts
Is there a reputable place to get this online or a solid alternative by chance? Thanks!
I get the genuine from a parts store named Parts Plus. It is like 24 bucks or so. Check if there is one near you. You could call other local parts store to see if they carry genuine toyota fluids. Parts plus carries both Honda and Toyota fluids. See if your local dealer has an online parts store and if they do chances are it will be discounted then opt for in store pickup. This is what i do for my parts purchase as my dealer is only 4 miles down the road then I don't have to pay for shipping. Sometimes the dealers offer free shipping over a certain dollar purchase amount.
PS , you don't want the pink one but the red coolant. My daughters 2014 Camry uses the pink one. Just sayin

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I get the genuine from a parts store named Parts Plus. It is like 24 bucks or so. Check if there is one near you. You could call other local parts store to see if they carry genuine toyota fluids. Parts plus carries both Honda and Toyota fluids. See if your local dealer has an online parts store and if they do chances are it will be discounted then opt for in store pickup. This is what i do for my parts purchase as my dealer is only 4 miles down the road then I don't have to pay for shipping. Sometimes the dealers offer free shipping over a certain dollar purchase amount.
PS , you don't want the pink one but the red coolant. My daughters 2014 uses the pink one. Just sayin
Sounds like a plan. Thanks again Paul, you've been a huge help!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Any Toyota formula coolant will work. Zerex Asian is a good option. Pentofrost makes a Toyota equivalent coolant - both Toyota Red and Toyota Pink. I think Beck Arnley also makes a Toyota formula coolant as well.

Reactions: derpicknicker

·
Registered
561 Posts
Gotcha. I just called the dealership and it's $30 per gallon!!! Is there a reputable place to get this online or a solid alternative by chance? Thanks!
Gone are the days of getting a gallon of the green antifreeze (not 50/50 pre-mixed stuff) for under $5.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey there everyone. I just bought an '05 Sienna LE with 109k miles and the owner said the timing belt was never changed. I'm going to supply my mechanic with parts and have him do the work. I was looking around Rockauto at kits and my dad said, "Are you gonna replace everything with those parts or get OEM?" I think this is a valid point. This is (hopefully) only a once every 100k miles repair so it's probably wise to put in quality parts. That being said, question one is: Is there a reputable place to get quality OEM parts online to save money on dealership prices?

I found this one on eBay. It includes:
  • timing belt​
  • water pump with gasket
  • timing belt tensioner
  • timing belt idler
  • automatic tension adjuster
  • two accessory drive belts
  • front crankshaft seal
  • two camshaft seals
I'm truly quite ignorant about what all goes into this repair. I've also seen kits that include other items such as:
  1. a hydraulic timing belt actuator
  2. thermostat and gasket
  3. upper timing belt idler bearing
  4. lower timing belt idler bearing
  5. camshaft belt tensioner
  6. camshaft belt idler

Questions two and three are: Is the eBay kit legitimate? Which parts do I need to make this a one and done job for the next 100k miles?

Thanks so much for reading this long and detailed post. I sincerely appreciate your insight.
Have a great day!!!
Are you in the Dallas Ft.Worth area?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey there everyone. I just bought an '05 Sienna LE with 109k miles and the owner said the timing belt was never changed. I'm going to supply my mechanic with parts and have him do the work. I was looking around Rockauto at kits and my dad said, "Are you gonna replace everything with those parts or get OEM?" I think this is a valid point. This is (hopefully) only a once every 100k miles repair so it's probably wise to put in quality parts. That being said, question one is: Is there a reputable place to get quality OEM parts online to save money on dealership prices?

I found this one on eBay. It includes:
  • timing belt​
  • water pump with gasket
  • timing belt tensioner
  • timing belt idler
  • automatic tension adjuster
  • two accessory drive belts
  • front crankshaft seal
  • two camshaft seals
I'm truly quite ignorant about what all goes into this repair. I've also seen kits that include other items such as:
  1. a hydraulic timing belt actuator
  2. thermostat and gasket
  3. upper timing belt idler bearing
  4. lower timing belt idler bearing
  5. camshaft belt tensioner
  6. camshaft belt idler

Questions two and three are: Is the eBay kit legitimate? Which parts do I need to make this a one and done job for the next 100k miles?

Thanks so much for reading this long and detailed post. I sincerely appreciate your insight.
Have a great day!!!
I have a 2002 Toyota Sienna XLE and a local mechanic is asking to replace Timing Belt. He said it will cost $1000 to do the job. Is it that costly? Please let me know. You can reply to [email protected]. Thanks.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have a 2002 Toyota Sienna XLE and a local mechanic is asking to replace Timing Belt. He said it will cost $1000 to do the job. Is it that costly? Please let me know. You can reply to [email protected]. Thanks.
You might pay as little as $600 or as much as $1600 depending on your particular area and the specific mechanic. I think I recall the flat rate estimate is 6 hours and some mechanics in my area (i.e. the Toyota dealer) are approaching a $200/hr. labor rate plus the cost of parts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You might pay as little as $600 or as much as $1600 depending on your particular area and the specific mechanic. I think I recall the flat rate estimate is 6 hours and some mechanics in my area (i.e. the Toyota dealer) are approaching a $200/hr. labor rate plus the cost of parts.
I paid $1264 last year for the same job. That included exterior belts too plus anti-freeze. The mechanic bought all the parts, with a nice mark up of course. Mines a 2006 Sienna xle with 233,000 miles and never had any belt replacement. I bought it and right away had the timing belt kit put in it. Sure the belt looked worn and may have given out soon. I have put 10,000 miles on it now and its going strong still. Haven't done that much to it. Engine light has been on for like 8 months now. It goes off when i add additives for the front catalytic converter fix. It still runs ok. I just do the right thing and ignore it-lol. It doesn't have any rear brakes, maybe 10% but it stops good enough. Everything else works though. For a $2600 vehicle its a good one. Scotty Kilmer persuaded me to buy a Toyota ,so i did. He was right about them. I hope to get to the 300,000 mile mark with this one.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts