Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
I went thru all the different premium brand but did not really see any difference. His coat is really long now and some cords are about 20" long. I will post a new pic tonight

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Wow Steve!! Love that pic of Ginger.... What kind of camera did you use to get that shot? Any particular settings or did you just use automatic?

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
tbalon said:
Wow Steve!! Love that pic of Ginger.... What kind of camera did you use to get that shot? Any particular settings or did you just use automatic?
Thanks Tbalon,

I used a Canon 20D SLR with a EF 24-70 L lens set at 70mm.

Settings were: f8 at 1/250 sec with an iso speed of 400.

I selected f8 so as to cause a slight blur in the background.

The pic was shot in the RAW format and processed in Photo Shop CS3.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Steve V said:
tbalon said:
Thanks Tbalon,

I used a Canon 20D SLR with a EF 24-70 L lens set at 70mm.

Settings were: f8 at 1/250 sec with an iso speed of 400.

I selected f8 so as to cause a slight blur in the background.

The pic was shot in the RAW format and processed in Photo Shop CS3.
Despite the pass through Photoshop, and the file format change, the camera information is preserved in the file's metadata. If you use a reasonable photo editing program (such as the free IrfanView), the EXIF data can be viewed... which confirms that Steve's memory is great or he is reading the same data. ;) Actually, Steve supplied some information which is not in the file (which lens was used... the file just gives the focal length setting), and the file fills in some more trivia (Multi-segment metering mode, no flash used, and auto white balance, for instance).

Data aside, the shot is beautifully lit, with bright detail and backlit highlights, nothing of the main subject lost in shadow, and yet nothing washed out. With nice composition, perfect timing to match the classic cat gesture, and precise focus, I can see that someone (unfortunately not me) has pet photography mastered. :)

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Thanks for the complement Brian. As you may surmise from my previous posts in this thread, I do focus mainly on photographing animals. However, "Mastered pet photography", your way to kind Brian. The equipment I use contributes a great deal to the end result. Additionally, I take a lot of bad photographs in order to get a few good ones.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Steve V said:
As you may surmise from my previous posts in this thread, I do focus mainly on photographing animals.
Actually, I had not looked at this thread for a long time, and had forgotten who was who; I just re-read the whole thing now. I had seen today's "unread posts", noticed the opportunity to spread the word about taking advantage of the metadata riding along with many image files, and couldn't resist a comment about the photograph itself.

I much prefer these "in context" images to those with vignetting, but that's a personal preference. So much of the interest in pet images is often the behaviour and way the pets fit into our homes and lives.

Steve V said:
The equipment I use contributes a great deal to the end result.
It is certainly a contributing factor, but it is only one factor. I would encourage everyone to try with what they have, since it doesn't take fancy hardware to get something worthwhile. Someone who works in the same company that I do entered the annual photo contest for images to go in a corporate calendar, and was quite successful. I happened to know him, and asked about his process (since this was a few years ago and it was early for digital photos), and found that he didn't go out on photo expeditions, and just took JPEG images with an ordinary consumer point-and-shoot (although a decent one) and didn't process them at all, in any software. He could see the potential in a scene, composed, pressed the shutter button, and was done; that takes a better eye for composition and lighting than most of us have.

You can discover whether or not you have talent or a real interest - and capture memories even if you don't - with any camera; no equipment will make you a great photographer.

Steve V said:
Additionally, I take a lot of bad photographs in order to get a few good ones.
I have heard from more than one successful nature photographer that it is routine to take thousands of shots to get a few worth keeping (to them) and even one of commercial value. An issue of National Geographic must represent a million shutter clicks! This is one reason that digital technology has been a quantum leap for photography, although it is also creates its own issues.

Just because I should actually contribute to this thread, rather than just commenting, I will include an image of the destroyer-of-Sienna-interior discovering a stream (from a point-and-shoot, shot in JPG, with no post-processing except to reduce resolution for the web page). He is a German Shepherd / Border Collie cross, from a shelter. It's not Steve's level of work...

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
I know I am bumping a old thread here. I started it. :)

On Monday I had to put Nash down. For the last week he was not eating nor drinking much water and his hips were not well. I had to rush home Monday as he fell. My son was home. Made the choice to put him down. It was a very hard day... RIP Nash. Sorry. I did not realize tons of pics were lost in this thread until I posted up.

·
Super Moderator
4,739 Posts
I know I am bumping a old thread here. I started it. :)

On Monday I had to put Nash down. For the last week he was not eating nor drinking much water and his hips were not well. I had to rush home Monday as he fell. My son was home. Made the choice to put him down. It was a very hard day... RIP Nash. Sorry. I did not realize tons of pics were lost in this thread until I posted up.

View attachment 43658
Just saw this while cleaning up some spam. I'm so very sorry....

Why did you create a new user name?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts