Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, we need a sturdy wind deflector to attach a sunroof cover. Unfortunately, there are myriad options.

So after much deliberation on how to solve the ventilation problem for our camper build, we've decided to take advantage of the factory hole in the roof.

The question is, "how to prevent water incursion while the sunroof is open at night?"

We've decided to try covering the sunroof with a sunroof wind deflector and attaching an acrylic panel to the trailing edge of the deflector and the roof rack. We'll be adding D shaped foam weather stripping around the hole to form a water barrier around the sunroof hole.

We're planning to use magnets and a screen over the hole at night.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out weather techs sunroof vent visor. It doesn’t use adhesive and attaches via clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out weather techs sunroof vent visor. It doesn’t use adhesive and attaches via clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion!

I looked at the Weathertech, but the negative Amazon reviews (all 1 star, except a single 2 star) scared me off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used the pop out quarter windows for ventilation. USB powered case fans uses only 4 watts.
200 CFM and really quiet. Just ran some black tape over the top of the window to keep rain out.
Never took photos complete, but here's what it look like before done.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love this idea (cross ventilation!), but I'm having a hard time imagining how it works. I can't tell you how long I've been thinking about the solution to this problem. I'm working on a 2-person camper reference build that I will do a detailed writeup for, and I'd like to make these quarter window ventilation part of it.

I'm thinking we can use wide black tape "flaps" over the top of the 1/4 windows and leave them in place while camping (duct tape residue, anyone?).

Would you mind telling me a little more about your implementation? What held them in place? How did they fit in place?

Thank you!

I used the pop out quarter windows for ventilation. USB powered case fans uses only 4 watts.
200 CFM and really quiet. Just ran some black tape over the top of the window to keep rain out.
Never took photos complete, but here's what it look like before done.

View attachment 51317

·
Registered
2 Posts
The fans were mounted to a piece of 1/4 ply with screws. Wrapped the whole thing in screen mesh held on by black tape on the back. I think because the way the plastic interior sits if you are pretty close on dimensions it just squeezes right in. I only had it pop out once on a pretty rough forest road. It was powered by a small portable power bank that was plugged into the 12v right under that window. It wasn't too pretty from the inside, but it was behind my shelving rack anyhow.

I was about to make another one for the other side so I can push/pull on really hot days. But my transmission crapped out.

I was also toying with placing these in the sunroof and building a cover on my roof-rack to protect the whole area from rain. But, it was ugly, didn't like it right above my head while driving and prevented closing of the sunroof cover.

Over all I was really happy how it turned out. Cost maybe $50 in fans and a few bucks for screws, mesh and left over plywood.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! Thank you for following up - I'll be building one of these and a frame to hold the screen on the other window.

The ventilation issue has been the most vexing part of the planning stage of this camper build, but your solution has so many advantages I can't imagine anything better. I'm going to try rain gutters from 10mm D shaped weatherstripping stuck to the body around the windows to direct the water away from the opening.

I love your solution. BTW, I recently swapped the motor in our gen 2, so if you want to talk transmissions, I'm available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts