Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Limited. I am looking to install an air spring kit on my hood to make it easier to open. Has anyone done this, and/or have any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Funny you should mention this... I actually looked into (online only) the kit a week or so ago. It looks easy enough to install (drilling a few holes and adding some rivets) and the price isn't out of line, but I have to go back to my dad's always the same question whenever I proposed a potential vehicle modification to him... "what problem are you trying to solve?" My hood prop works fine and I have no issues with using two hands for the hood even though I like the strut lifts in my VWs.

With regards to the kit specifically, my only concern was side access. I did not look exactly where the arms would be and what would be blocked by them. I also wondered what I would do with the prop rod? Leave it in or take it out? If leave it in, I would still need to move it to add washer fluid, a fairly frequent occurrence. If take it out, would I lose it before I needed it again (say I had to remove a strut for access or something)? For me... probably.

So... I decided against the kit as much as I like modifications and the idea of a strut lifted hood.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a senior citizen and the hood is very heavy for me to hold with one hand, so that's why I asked. My 2012 Highlander has an even heavier hood. I've found a few different lift kits on eBay, some from Russia! Impossible to tell if any of these companies actually installed any of their kits, and hard to deal with foreign vendors if there is a problem.
You could leave your prop rod in the trunk if you removed it, or tie it out of the way under the hood. Some day you might wish you'd installed one. You say "I have no issues with using two hands for the hood". If you're using two hands to hold the hood up, I'm afraid to ask what you use to attach the prop rod. Back in the day, all American cars had springs to lift the hood. Cheap-ass manufacturers found it much cheaper to just use a rod. My 2005 MB has an air spring hood lift.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hah! Yes, one hand to hold hood, second hand to fit prop rod in place. Two hands total required to get the hood into a position that it will stay up on it's own.

Here's the kit I found. I know nothing about it other than what's on the webpage.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Love my trusty old 740 Volvo for the hood lift spring design. It even goes 90 degrees vertical . So does my 09 Benz, all the way vertical if needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hah! Yes, one hand to hold hood, second hand to fit prop rod in place. Two hands total required to get the hood into a position that it will stay up on it's own.

Here's the kit I found. I know nothing about it other than what's on the webpage.

-Mike

-Mike

Thanks Mike.

-Mike

[/QUOT
Thanks Mike. I’ve seen this one. I’d like to find someone who has actually installed one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mike. I’ve seen this one. I’m looking for someone who has actually installed one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts