Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We're down to the original valet key which won't let me into immobilizer key programming mode by key dance or Techstream. Can independent locksmiths make a new standard key with only the grey valet key or is this a dealer only job?

I take it if the standard key can lock/unlock the glove box and the valet key can't that both the blade cuts and chip signal are different between standard and valet keys, correct?

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 194K miles

·
Registered
2014 Sienna LE
80 Posts
I don't know personally, but doing some digging if you only have the valet key the immobilizer control unit (ICU) has to be physically removed and replaced or reprogrammed, and it's not easy to get to. Looks like this is on purpose, so if you give your valet key to someone they cannot make a working copy. I.e. they could copy the key itself but the new key wouldn't work. So from that standpoint, having a simple programming method to allow a new key made with only the valet key would defeat the purpose. Hence the requirement to physically access and/or replace the control unit itself, which is purposely made difficult to access. (I'm unclear if it can be reprogrammed or it it needs to be replaced)

I just bought a 2014 LE from CarMax that only came with one key and fob, they said if I bought a second set they'd refund me. I took it to the dealer and bought a new key (and fob) and he asked if I had the regular key or valet key, because they couldn't do the programming (at least at the last minute before their service department close) if I had a valet key. Presumably because they'd have to dig out the ICU as my searching has turned up.

The key itself was only like $35 plus a $6 cutting charge. They charged $175 for the programming though. I can't imagine what they would charge if they physically had to dig the control unit out of the vehicle...

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm not sure about Toyota in '04. However, I have a '38 Cadillac which came with a key with a number on it. You wrote down the number then punched the numbered part out of the key. If you lost the key, you called up the dealer or any locksmith and got a new key cut to that number specification. Way back in '97, I bought a Ford Ranger. They had a similar thing, where there was a special number on a hang-tag at the dealer and you could call up and get a new key cut for that code. My wife had a '02 BMW and they could put make a new key with the VIN, although it was $225. Her '15 BMW has the same deal, but with the RFID fob, it's $400.

In other words, the dealer probably has a trivial capability to get you a new set of keys, but it probably requires proof of ownership, the VIN and access to the vehicle and they'll probably charge you a decent sum for it, but then you'll have the key(s) you need for the van.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,682 Posts
I didn't realize that the 2004 Sienna (first of the Gen-II models) had an ignition immobilizer. A lot of makes didn't start that level of theft security until 2005/2006.

But assuming it does... You've got a problem. The security chip built into the key handle gets scanned by the immobilizer (part of the Body Integration module) and the engine won't start without matching the code. Physical key cutting as mentioned above is one level of security. Code matching is the real key...

Up until recently, pulling the BIU/Immobilizer and sending it back to Toyota was the only solution.

However, in the past few years there have been kits sold for opening the BIU, clipping onto the eeprom and reading out the code. Most recently units like the Autel IM608 have enabled locksmiths to pick the brain thru the OBD port and solve the problem.

Get a price from your dealer for the 'approved' method and then call around for an Automotive Locksmith to see what they can do for you.

Reactions: jseyfert3 and BillG

·
Registered
853 Posts
I am from Canada an know a bit about the valet key and master key. I had the 2004 with immoblizer
As I know. NO you can not program a master key from a VALET key. PERIOD.

Vehicle needs a reset and a new master key registered. Cost? Price of a master key and labour to reseed the vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts