Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Sienna and the sliding door on the passenger side stopped working. I noticed there are multiple failure possibilities so I thought I would ask to be pointed in the right direction.

The vehicle info and symptoms are as follows:

2006 Toyota Sienna. Power door is only on passenger side—only one power door. Driver's side is manual.

The passenger door OPENS electronically as usual. The keyfob, the button over the driver's head, inside handle, outside handle, and button by the door all operate as usual. The door opens all the way.

However, the door will not CLOSE using any buttons, keyfob, or handles. I have to manually close the door.

When the door is open and the handle is pulled, or any button is pushed, there is NO audible sound and the door does not move at all. It doesn’t even “try” to move---just nothing.

Also, if the door is actually moving and opening, a pull on the handle or button push causes the door to STOP but it does not reverse direction. It just stops.

Finally if I am manually closing the door, and I stop and then push the door towards the open position, the mechanism engages and will open the door.

All locks work as usual using the keys, the key fob and the autolock buttons.

To recap:
When door is CLOSED: all buttons, key fob, handles work to OPEN the door automatically.
When door is OPEN: all buttons, handles, key fob DO NOT work---door only closes manually.

If there is a thread or fix on this already, please point me in the right direction. Any help is appreciated.Thx.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I posted this 4 days ago and a lot of people have looked at it. Doesn't anyone have any ideas? I replaced the small toy - like motor a few years back on a different Sienna van. But this is a different Sienna and before trying that again, I would like some input because the symptoms on this Sienna door are slightly different. Essentially it opens fine in all regards but won't close. Computer reset doesn't work to fix the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thx.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Further investigation has revealed at the end of the track on the bottom of the van, there is a small rubber bumper. I noticed the door is not opening all the way to the bumper. It stops about 4 to 5 inches short. I looked to see what was causing it to stop because it was hitting something--- not just running out of steam. The door is close to fully open and you wouldn't notice just normally getting in and out of the van.

Investigating what it was hitting---------On the door hinge at the bottom there is a large black part about the size of your hand. It sits on top of the hinge and and it has two electrical wires running into it. On that black part there is a little arm about 1 and a half inches long that pivots. Well, that little arm is ALWAYS sticking straight out perpendicular to the door. When the door gets almost all the way open, that arm bumps into a small black rectangular piece (I will call that a "stop") that is on the top of the inside the track and prevents the door from fully opening. When closing the door, that little arm still hits that stop but the direction of the pivot let's it slide by as it pivots towards the door.

Now I looked at the other door and that arm is always tucked into that black part when the other manual door is being opened. Being tucked in lets it get passed the stop on the frame. So for some reason that little arm is always sticking straight out on the power door side and hitting that little black stop. Whereas that arm never seems to even pivot on the other door. It is always tucked in.

So I figured I had solved my problem. As the door was moving down the track, I reached down, held that little arm in, got it passed the stop , released the little arm, and the door opened all the way to the end of the track. I figured that would then let the door "understand" it was open and then could engage the close process. But no, a pull on the handle, the key fob, button pushes----still nothing.

Then I noticed this interesting thing: when I open the door there is a small floor light on the bottom of the door frame at the back. That lights up for a second or two when the door is moving down the track, seems to flicker or blink once or twice, then goes out even when the door is fully open (I hold that arm out of the way to fully open the door ). When I open the other side manual door, the lights on BOTH sides come on and stay on. Sometimes on the power side it says on for 10 seconds or so. But basically, it goes out even when the door is fully open or partially open. But it stays lit whenever the OTHER side manual door is open. The light on the manual side stays lit when that door is open as it should.

The main thing symptoms to be this: that little arm that pivots seems to have a natural position of "tucked in" on the manual door but "extended or sticking out" on the power door (thus causing it to hit that stop.) HOWEVER, even when I sort of override the "sticking out" by holding it tucked in to get it passed the stop while the door is moving, that does not seem to correct the problem. When fully open, the door still won't close automatically with any buttons or handle pull.

Finally, that little arm seems to be mechanical as opposed to electrical. What I am trying to say is that the little arm does not appear to pivot because of an electrical signal. And given that one side seems to have a natural position of tucked in and the other as sticking straight out (causing it to hit the stop), makes me think that maybe the whole black piece on the hinge is bad.

Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

Regards, Dave

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. I learned that opening the window causes that little arm to extend outward and hit the stop. The door will not fully open and latch in the open position. That is normal operation.

So I am back to square one. The door fully opens using all buttons and handle. But it will not close except manually.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

I just replaced the cables on both sides, re-checked everything. Drivers side opens and closes, no problem. Passengers side opens no problem, but won't close. Instead, it tries to open more? rocks back and forth and stops. I can only close it manually from that point on. Any Thoughts?

· Registered
1 Posts
I am having same exact issue on my 2005 sienna. it started out that the closing was intermittent. Would not work for a week or two, then magically would work for a week or two. Now its been a couple of months of only manual close.. My wife is getting sick of it.
Did you ever find a solution?

· Registered
1 Posts
I've got exactly the same issue on my 2015. The dealer has been absolutely useless.

Looks like some relief for US owners is coming as a result of Toyota settling a class action law suit in relation to door issues (Simerlein et al. v. Toyota Motor Corporation et al., Case No. 3:17-CV-01021-VAB (D. Conn.), I contacted Toyota Canada and they have no plans to extend the same kind of repair program to Canadian owners.

My dealer estimates $1600 to take the door apart and "troubleshoot" with no guarantee that'll even fix the issue so I'm thinking it's time to trade my van in for something that is not a Toyota!

· Registered
2 Posts
My 2006 Sienna XLE AWD Limited is having the exact same issue.
Has anyone found a solution? It's been happening for the past couple years. The odd time the door decides to operate properly, but for the most part it's operating exactly as described.
(Thank you dcw for articulating the issue so well!)

I have a 2006 Sienna and the sliding door on the passenger side stopped working. I noticed there are multiple failure possibilities so I thought I would ask to be pointed in the right direction.

2006 Toyota Sienna. Power door is only on passenger side—only one power door. Driver's side is manual.

The passenger door OPENS electronically as usual. The keyfob, the button over the driver's head, inside handle, outside handle, and button by the door all operate as usual. The door opens all the way.

However, the door will not CLOSE using any buttons, keyfob, or handles. I have to manually close the door.

When the door is open and the handle is pulled, or any button is pushed, there is NO audible sound and the door does not move at all. It doesn’t even “try” to move---just nothing.

Also, if the door is actually moving and opening, a pull on the handle or button push causes the door to STOP but it does not reverse direction. It just stops.

Finally if I am manually closing the door, and I stop and then push the door towards the open position, the mechanism engages and will open the door.

To recap:
When door is CLOSED: all buttons, key fob, handles work to OPEN the door automatically.
When door is OPEN: all buttons, handles, key fob DO NOT work---door only closes manually.

If there is a thread or fix on this already, please point me in the right direction. Any help is appreciated.Thx.

· Registered
2012 toyota sienna LE
5 Posts
Hey guys,

I just replaced the cables on both sides, re-checked everything. Drivers side opens and closes, no problem. Passengers side opens no problem, but won't close. Instead, it tries to open more? rocks back and forth and stops. I can only close it manually from that point on. Any Thoughts?
Mine does the same thing any fixes

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow how time flies. I now have a 2007 and it is now doing the same thing. I remember fixing my 2006 but I don’t think it was the door motor. I think it was a door sensor because the lights were acting weird. I’m going to look today and I’ll see if I can remember.

· Registered
2012 toyota sienna LE
5 Posts
Hey guys,

Have you ever fix this issue starting to have same problem

· Registered
3 Posts
I've got exactly the same issue on my 2015. The dealer has been absolutely useless.

Looks like some relief for US owners is coming as a result of Toyota settling a class action law suit in relation to door issues (Simerlein et al. v. Toyota Motor Corporation et al., Case No. 3:17-CV-01021-VAB (D. Conn.), I contacted Toyota Canada and they have no plans to extend the same kind of repair program to Canadian owners.

My dealer estimates $1600 to take the door apart and "troubleshoot" with no guarantee that'll even fix the issue so I'm thinking it's time to trade my van in for something that is not a Toyota!
Where you able fix it?I have 2015 sienna opens fine with button but wont close with buttons I have to manually close it.

· Registered
2006 Toyota Sienna
10 Posts

To recap:

What was solution? I have a same problem on my 2006 Sienna

1 - 20 of 25 Posts