Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Sienna XSE awd
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the factory premium audio comes with a subwoofer? I know the jbl sound system does but not sure about the standard premium option. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't believe that it does, not does the "Plus" audio. I think only premium includes the sub.

That said, is the premium a big step up in sound quality? The base system was pretty lousy.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't believe that it does, not does the "Plus" audio. I think only premium includes the sub.

That said, is the premium a big step up in sound quality? The base system was pretty lousy.
Best thing to do is audition it in person due to the subjective nature of your personal interpretation. But realistically, it is a decision point for the XLE and XSE trims with certain option packages, as Limited and Platinum trims it is standard in the offering.

PS: One thing that may help you is there are a couple of sorta "OK" reviews of the premium audio on the 2021 Sienna on Youtube that may be useful - I didn't find them overly useful because of the limitations of the medium.

The other issue is that Toyota has many of these options priced separately, but they are part of a mandatory bundle (e.g. the rear seat entertainment, digital review mirror and 1500W inverter are priced separately on the sticker, but you cannot purchase them that way!). So run through the "Build" option on the Toyota website or view inventory and you will see these option bundle patterns pretty quickly.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Does the factory premium audio comes with a subwoofer? I know the jbl sound system does but not sure about the standard premium option. Thanks.
Only the jbl system includes a subwoofer. It is standard in the Limited and Premium. To get it in the XLE or XSE you need to order the Plus Package according to the Toyota Product Information Sheet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Best thing to do is audition it in person due to the subjective nature of your personal interpretation. But realistically, it is a decision point for the XLE and XSE trims with certain option packages, as Limited and Platinum trims it is standard in the offering.

PS: One thing that may help you is there are a couple of sorta "OK" reviews of the premium audio on the 2021 Sienna on Youtube that may be useful - I didn't find them overly useful because of the limitations of the medium.

The other issue is that Toyota has many of these options priced separately, but they are part of a mandatory bundle (e.g. the rear seat entertainment, digital review mirror and 1500W inverter are priced separately on the sticker, but you cannot purchase them that way!). So run through the "Build" option on the Toyota website or view inventory and you will see these option bundle patterns pretty quickly.
Unfortunately, the dealer close to me only has LEs with the Spare on the lot so I didn't get the opportunity to compare the quality of the sound system.

For me, if the premium system is worthless, I could always talk to a custom installer about swapping speakers and adding a sub, etc. I'd just rather only do one of those things (either premium or custom...not custom after I find out the Premium isn't worth it post purchase).

·
Registered
06 Highlander Limited AWD/ 09 Sienna XLE FWD / 12 Highlander SE FWD
81 Posts
I have a limited and the sound system is disappointing to put nicely. My ‘09 Sienna had JBL and it was fantastic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven’t bought a new car in a while. Does the new Sienna have a cassette player like my 2004 4Runner does? 😂

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a limited and the sound system is disappointing to put nicely. My ‘09 Sienna had JBL and it was fantastic.
I’m not an audiophile but we are happy with our Limited’s sound system. Clear and crisp. In contrast we test drove the XLE and the audio was shockingly bad. The XLE plus package would be better than base but I think that package is a 9 speaker system as opposed to an 11 or 12 speaker system in the Limited’s premium audio.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I’m not an audiophile but we are happy with our Limited’s sound system. Clear and crisp. In contrast we test drove the XLE and the audio was shockingly bad. The XLE plus package would be better than base but I think that package is a 9 speaker system as opposed to an 11 or 12 speaker system in the Limited’s premium audio.
XLE Plus has 12 speakers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not an audiophile either but very happy with the sound system in my XSE. In Canada you can option the JBL system in the XSE as part of a technology package, but I didn't get this. I test drove a XSE with the JBL system and wasn't impressed. Maybe some settings were off or not all speakers hooked up, but I would say I prefer the non-JBL system in my XSE. I also test drove a LE and found that sounded tinny.

·
Registered
06 Highlander Limited AWD/ 09 Sienna XLE FWD / 12 Highlander SE FWD
81 Posts
My wife even says our 2009 Sienna JBL system sounds better than the 2021. But our 2012 Highlander JBL doesn’t even sound as good as the 2009. My guess is Toyota went with a smaller subwoofer in the ‘21 Sienna

·
Registered
6 Posts
Related question: anyone know if the empty speaker areas for the base model are wired up, or if that’s going to have to be done specially? I can’t believe how bad the sound is on my base LE and I can’t wait to take it to a stereo shop to upgrade it, but I’m kinda curious how much work that’s going to cost me just in running wires.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think it is in the middle of the front dashboard by the windshield.
Oh okay. I just assumed it was in the rear hatch because of the big JBL logo. Its better for us drivers if its in front, so we wouldn't crank the volume too high to get a fuller sound from the bass

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
394 Posts
Related question: anyone know if the empty speaker areas for the base model are wired up, or if that’s going to have to be done specially? I can’t believe how bad the sound is on my base LE and I can’t wait to take it to a stereo shop to upgrade it, but I’m kinda curious how much work that’s going to cost me just in running wires.
FWIW, I have had very good results in the past by just replacing standard speakers. This was with standard 4-way Pioneers that cost abut $100/Pair. For my pickup, I have managed to put in a bazooka sub too. Yeah, these are cheap solutions with low-mid quality, but they are dramatic improvements over what comes standard for very reasonable price and effort.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts