Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking our Previa section was a little bare and lonely.

Those of you who have owned or still own one, please share some of your experiences (good or bad), stories/memories, and maybe even some pics too.

I still see a lot of them regularly here in SoCal and a friend used to have one a loooong time ago. I liked that it had 2 moonroofs and the egg-shape was interesting. It's too bad the current Japanese/Asian/European market Previas/Estimas are not available here in North America....

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
Ahhh The good 'ol previa ;D ;D

Mine was a 1995 LE. It was a pig on gas but got us around. I loved this thing.....

PROS:
Cheap to run (besides gas) It never broke down on the road.
Durable
Styling (in the eyes of the owner)
Mid captain chairs swing around 180 degrees and had seperate seat belts so you can drive down the road like that ;D (I think it is legal?)
Durable
Fun to drive
RWD (so donuts in the snow are fun)
Smooth ride
comfortable
1 sliding door never froze ;D ;D ;D
No oil leaks at all

CONS:
A/C (always breaking down) The nail in the coffin.... Compressor
gas mileage
1 sliding door :mad:(but it never froze ;D)
hard to check the fluids
smaller than gen 2 sienna
cruise control "hunted" more than "TED NUGENT" ;D ;D ;D ;D
rear diff bearings noisy

maybe more to add

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just curious because I never paid much attention until we bought our fantastic 2002 Sienna. But, did they drive out well on long distant trips? Our Sienna feels like a road limo. I don't like to drive over around 750 miles a day, but we cover a lot of ground when we do go back to the States. I drove it 5400 miles in the month of October, and am curious if the Previa was good on trips like that.

·
Registered
246 Posts
We actually had TWO Previas. ;D

Got a '93 LE with most of the "toys" on it as a dealer demo in November, 1993. It had about 5600 miles on it. Pearl White, alloy wheels, ABS, dual moon roofs, swiveling captain's chairs in the middle, privacy glass, AM/FM/Cassette, I added the factory CD. Also installed 2" receiver hitch and wiring package, along with brake controller.

In 1995 we did a family vacation, towing the largest pop-up (fold-down?) trailer that Starcraft made in '86. Our GVW (measured at a certified truck scale) was 7980 pounds, full of fuel, people and "stuff". The trip was about 5000 miles over 25 days and put us into 16 states. Average MPG for the trip was 15.1. :eek:

My '86 Camry had died, so we needed another vehicle, I got a '92 DLX All-Trac. It only had the AM/FM/Cassette radio, and a bench middle seat. The experience with that van is what convinced me to stay with AWD when I got my Sienna.

Both of those Previas went over 300,000 miles. The '93 was loaned out to a friend of our son, he ended up rear-ending somebody with it. :mad: My '92 had a water pump fail while towing a trailer with a motorcycle on it, greatly overheating the engine rather quickly. I decided to put money into a "new" vehicle, rather than repair/replace the engine.

The only problems we had with either Previa were rear wheel bearings on the '93. Evidently the seal had been leaking and the rear end ran dry. $1200 for new bearings and all was well once again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1991 Opal White Pearl All-Trac LE. It was ordered not long after Toyota revealed its existence. We took a trip to Yellowstone within a month of its delivery and gotten so many compliments and questions about it. It was a van well ahead of its time and was a wonderful vehicle to own. It was extremly reliable and sure footed in all weather like a typical Toyota build vehicle.

And I agree, it is unfortunately that Toyota does not sell the Estima here in the NA market.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really like the Previa with the 5 speed transmission. Too bad there aren't too many of them around here in Ontario. If I saw a used one in good condition, it would be tempting to buy it. Anyone else owned one of these?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 92 Previa, loved it. You can actually recline the mid section seats down and the rear seats down to make a pretty flat bed. The new sienna cannot do that. Not too many vehicles can do that. Really excellent feature.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I still have our bought-new 1991LE. It now has 606,000kms (376,550miles) and is running better than ever. Except for no AC since like forever!

Good points; -carrying space is awesome, bikes standing up, 4x8 sheets of stuff. -relatively easy to fix (after you have fixed everything once). -clever design includes tricky access to things like strut towers and fuse panel. -12,000kms between oil changes.

Bad points; -no AC. -rusty brake lines, fenders, hand brake cables, body parts. -crap headlights (but overcame this by adding a HUGE driving light and rewiring fogs to go on with high beams, plus LED daytime running lights)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I, too, had two Previas and man, oh, man do I miss my "Eggs"!!! Hands down the most reliable, bulletproof travel mobile I've ever owned!!! I just yesterday traded in my 2004 XLE AWD Sienna for a 2015 Sienna Limited AWD, but I would ditch all the touch screen tech, bells, & whistles for another Previa.

My first was a 1991 Opal White Pearl All-Trac LE that I purchased used in 1996 at 72,000 miles. I immediately took out middle row bench seat and turned it into a touring camper van with a platform bed and storage. As a young woman, I safely traveled on my own all over the country in it, sleeping at campgrounds and Flying Js. Mid-body engine, fantastic turning radius, big ass seat. When I was with a band, we used the rear fold down seats and loaded all the gear between (great way to separate feuding musicians). I regularly got 22 MPG (and back then gas was still reliably .99-1.05 a gallon!) and never had to to a thing other than change the oil and do regular maintenance. The only drawback, as others have mentioned, is that the air conditioner never worked well (if at all). Unfortunately, at about 300k miles, the head gasket cracked and though I can't say for certain, I probably slacked on changing the coolant somewhere in there. RIP my Original Egg!

Onto the Red Egg! 1997 LE All-Trac. Supercharged engine, swivel 2nd row captains chairs, air conditioning that worked! I bought it sight unseen in 2001 off Ebay from a family 600 miles away from where I was living at the time. It had 63k miles (if I am remembering correctly) and had been ignored for a while. It immediately needed new brakes, belts, a battery, plugs, etc, but it was in my price range and I eventually got it up to snuff. That was my beloved travel mobile for six solid years, taking me from Washington state to Florida, Maine to San Diego. By then, I had the home conversion set up down pat and it was a really comfortable camper van (perfectly flat floor for mods). When I finally settled down, it became our lab's mobile crate and she loved the platform bed as her own (she really loved to sit in that flat space between the front seats and look out the windshield as I drove).

At about 250k miles, it started to have little things start to pop here and there (seals, oil leak behind the engine, etc) that I think were due to the neglect it suffered early in it's life. When I put it up on Craigslist, I immediately had a dozen calls, but ended up selling it under asking price to a guy who gave me a sob story about needing to have a family vehicle, as he was trying to keep custody of his kids and their mom had a Previa. The next day he turned around and listed it back on Craigslist for $1500. more than I had sold it to him. I really regret letting that Previa go instead of nursing it along, especially to that guy!

I'll have to dig up some photos. They would all be film prints!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was going to head on over the vipstylecars.com to get some mod ideas b/c I have a 93 previa with about 180k. Still runs like a champ. We took it on a road trip once and it was great.
Either I'm going to sell it or probably mod it out: adding the wood floors, changing to the jdm taillights...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had one. 1995 Previa LE S/C. Purchased in March 2010 for 2,500 from the original owner with 167k on it. Yes, it had that trademark supercharger whistling sound. When we moved from California to Oklahoma in July 2010, it carried me and the family (plus a 10' trailer with all our worldly possessions on it) safely here. Averaged about 10MPG on that trip. Anyway, here's a pic:

And the current ride:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a job at a Toyota dealer in 1997 and almost all the technicians had at least one Previa in their family, they all said they were mostly bulletproof. I bought one in 1999, a used 1993 Opal Pearl LE RWD with 60k miles on it. We drove it until it hit 200k and then i traded it on a pickup truck and still got $5500 for it. No problems whatsoever except for the common SAD shaft bushings going out. I bought a kit from a guy in Florida to replace them because Toyota only sold the shaft complete and it was l like $900. Only real issue was the vehicle was rear wheel drive and absolutely sucked in the snow!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had a '91 alltrack with a 5 speed. Loved the van but after many years a lot of things were going bad on it and we got rid of it. The 5 speed was great but was geared quite low so at high speed on the highway the engine noise was high. We now have an 08 Sienna CE which is also great and a lot quieter. The CE is great b/c it doesn't have all of the power door stuff etc that go bad. Other than a few sensors and wheel bearings it has been great. Also several years ago I was given a '92 previa alltrack auto with low miles. Replaced front shocks which greatly improved the ride. We have built a platform that we can put in the back to make it a good 2 person camper. We have put lots of miles on it but still just over 100K miles so just getting broken in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't have a Sienna yet. But I've owned three Previa All-Tracs, and I'm really grieving about having to leave them behind. They're just to old for us, and we live in the rust belt, so...
I've been driving the things since 2001, and had a Pointy Van for three years before that. I remember being amazed when I heard my old Van had made it to 200k miles. Then I owned the Previas...

All I have to say is that the Sienna has going to have great big shoes to fill. Hopefully, it will have to replace those shoes less often then a Previa, but, hey, everything has a weak spot somewhere :D .

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've owned three Previa All-Tracs, and I'm really grieving about having to leave them behind. we live in the rust belt,
Wisconsin. If only it wasn't for all the rust.:( All my favorite vehicles died because of rot. Previa's were particularly prone. As was "Patches", my zippy Axxess. Sienna's are less prone, at least til much later. Holly molly, what is holding those Chrysler's together?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've driven a couple of Siennas now; I definitely like them more than the Odysseys, but it's really hard to accept the tiny (by comparison) cargo area.
Definitely not the same vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What is a pointy van? Van before the Previa? I had 2 of them if so. What year Sienna are you thinking of getting?
The "Van" sold in the United States from about '83 to I think '89. It was replaced in the US by the Previa.
They're officially an r20/r30 (aka LiteAce) to Toyota and the rest of the world (other than Australia, where they were called "Tarago" just like the Previa.
They sort of resemble the ancient Mattel 'Hot Rails' electric train engines.

And (IMHO) they're sort of pointy with a wedge-shaped front not dissimilar to Celicas and Supras of the same vintage.
The automatics were real dogs, the 5-speeds were fun as heck. They were available, at different times, with AWD or 4WD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
..but you probably knew some of that, since I just re-read your post and realized that you've already owned a few :D

Also, I forgot: I specifically want an 07-08 CE/LE or thereabouts. They've got the Tow Prep package and the 3.5, and are also the magic year for our price range.
Our primary goal is low-rust. Our secondary goal is low mileage. Cruise and disk brakes are mandatory.

Can you tell I'm cruising for leads? :D

I'm in SE Ohio, and willing to drive one hotel night from here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts