Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
41 - 60 of 185 Posts
Purchased a 2023 Limited Sienna today! I didn't really need the add-ons save the inverter and the cross bars, but I figured I just take what I can get and was sick of waiting. No digital rearview mirror unfortunately (apparently they've been showing back up for some new cars?). It's funny, I did a ton of research into what minivan to buy, but somehow didn't realize until today that Siennas have kick sensors for the sliding side doors, which is awesome. I paid in all cash, which I don't think sales or finance was thrilled about, but the finance guy was a good sport about it. I didn't purchase a maintenance or warranty plan, but might go through the hookup everyone's been purchasing from for the Platinum plan.

Just from a customer service perspective, there were a couple things I didn't like about the purchasing process.

1) They told me I had to make a decision today, as they said that Toyota allocates vehicles depending on sales each month, so they had to get the vehicle off the lot today. I feel like this might be complete BS?

2) They also told me if I passed on the vehicle, I'd go back to the bottom of the list, even after waiting for months like I did (I was contemplating not buying it because of the tow hitch and had originally only specified that I wanted a Limited or Platinum). Both those things left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, as they felt like high-pressure sales tactics (which to give them credit ultimately helped contribute to a sale), but all in all I'm happy to finally have a Sienna.

• Trim: Limited
  • FWD or AWD: AWD
  • Price Paid (base + destination): $50395 + $1,335 = $51730
  • Price Paid (out of the door): $55115 pre-tax
  • Add-ons (if any): $3385 - 1500W Inverter; Rear Seat Entertainment System, Floor Liners, Cross Bars, Tri Fold Cargo Liner, Tow Hitch, Wireless Headphones
  • Exterior Color: Celestial Silver/LA10
  • Interior Color: Gray
  • Date Purchased: 1/31/23
  • State and region: Portland, OR Metro Area

Discussion starter · #43 ·
Congratulations! If you had asked for a Limited or Platinum, since thats what you got, then I guess I agree (with the dealer). Of course, I am unclear which equipment and or color you specified if any. You got an exceptionally rare AWD, which is worth more than FWD..Im not the only one who likes the AWD. I hope you like yours. I bought a 2023 XLE AWD in Dec, and Im happy with mine. However, I did speak to a gal who had bought one with the entertainment package you indicated, and she said the entertainment system is junk..that it never worked. If you can not get that system to work, then you havre a legit gripe. If you dont need the tow hitch, I could sure use it, but Im not sure Im willing to drive to California for it.

So I just hit the 1 year mark of waiting, since I signed a buyers order last Feb for MSRP. And I get a call from the Sales Manager that they have a XSE for me.... but it will be $3500 markup over sticker. They are rattling off all sorts of loopholes to get out of honoring the signed buyer's order, saying "well that was for a Woodland, and this is an XSE" "that was a 2022 model and now it's 2023" and "there was no VIN# on that buyers order".....
scum. total scum.
What recourse do I have?

So I just hit the 1 year mark of waiting, since I signed a buyers order last Feb for MSRP. And I get a call from the Sales Manager that they have a XSE for me.... but it will be $3500 markup over sticker. They are rattling off all sorts of loopholes to get out of honoring the signed buyer's order, saying "well that was for a Woodland, and this is an XSE" "that was a 2022 model and now it's 2023" and "there was no VIN# on that buyers order".....
scum. total scum.
What recourse do I have?
Wait unless really need minivan right now.

Expect better prices this summer imho.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
Interest from Toyota for sienna is a whopping 7% now, thats insane !!!
Yea, TFS is "too high" for people with good credit. Its a pain. So, I financed through TFS to get the 500 rebate, now I will refinance to get lower rate. They should be more competitive....its a pain to refinance, but saves money. Toyota Financial services is either "asleep at the wheel" or wants to take advantage of customers by charging "above market" interest rates. Most credit unions have much lower rates, as do some banks. I cant see an advantage to financing with TFS.

Discussion starter · #52 ·
THERE is your problem: California. Since gas is 'way" more expensive there, California "gets away" with selling hybrids way above everyone else. For $6995, I would buy a plane ticket and get one in the Midwest much much cheaper. As an example, gas averages 4.79 in California, while the 50 state average is 3.35..almost $1.50 more per gallon to live in California.
Source: AAA Gas Prices

I'm back on this forum after a long hiatus since 2011 (I think) when I bought my 2011 Sienna SE, which is now replaced by a 2023 25th anniversary XSE. After reading here about the wait time for a Sienna van, I am unsure if I am lucky or not . My 2011 Sienna SE got in an accident 3 weeks ago and the other car was at fault so her insurance company will be paying for the damage. Insurance offer is total loss settlement amount of $15,300 or I can keep it and have it repaired myself for $8,900. Although I really wanted to keep my 2011 due its sentimental value (it is almost the same age as my eldest among 4 kids I have) and I had no plans of buying a new vehicle that fits my family until its engine stops running, I have to let it go and move on.

So starting last Saturday through Sunday, using Autotrader filters for XSE and any distance from my ZIP, I emailed around 50 dealerships from the search result with the following message:

"I have reached out to multiple dealerships and with these shortages, it is simpler for everyone involved to be up front about availability and timeline. My specific requirements are brand new XSE, AWD preferred, color is either silver, gray, black or cement. I do not need financing and will pay delivery charges and purchase from whoever will have a unit available the soonest. Please let me know if you have any in stock, in transit or allocated."

Monday morning - received multiple email responses and numerous calls on my google number (which of course I did not answer and had everybody leave voicemail). I found out that dealerships in New Jersey, New York, Oregon and California are including "Market Adjustments" starting at 5k and up to 10k for CA. Only one dealership that has a van on their lot (XSE 25th Anniversary FWD in silver) due to a customer who reserved and backed out after it got delivered was selling it at MSRP. With this in mind, I only asked the salesperson once if the MSRP can be discounted and did not bother to haggle anymore after she said no. I am happy getting my Sienna at MSRP except for the outrageous Dealer Installed Packages & Accessories of $1,499 that include window tint, door edge guards, door cups, nitrogen tires and all weather mats, which by the way have not been installed on the van.

Vehicle Base Price (MSRP): $47,420
Factory Installed Packages & Accessories: $1,490 (entertainment package, spare tire)
Distributor Installed Packages & Accessories: $1,121 (cross bars and roof rail, connectivty kit, cargo net, cargo organizer, integrated dashcam)
Dealer Installed Packages & Accessories: $1,499
Delivery processing and handling: $1,495
Total Price: $53,025

My van has the 1500W inverter but is not included in the price. A $90 dealers Inventory tax was also added. The dealership is 165 miles from my home and I told them I will make a deposit and pick up the van this Saturday but dealership insisted in delivering the van yesterday (with only $1k deposit from me) so it can be included in their end of month sales. I asked if they can keep it in their lot until Saturday for me to pickup once I pay the remaining balance in person but they said it has to be moved out of their lot. So now I have my fender bender 2011 SE (which will be picked up by the insurance company soon) and new 25th anniversary XSE on my driveway. Still have not fully paid my XSE but was given until tomorrow to wire the remaining balance.

You got your Sienna after a weekend of searching??? Unbelievable!
I was actually searching for a Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy last week as replacement for my old Sienna but my wife talked to me about reliability and resale value (she had a 93 Camry for 15 years that was also totaled while parked at the side of our house and she now owns a 2008 Highlander). I watched an unbiased review for Hyundai in youtube that transmission and engine problems are common issues so got me thinking about getting another Sienna. When I found out that Siennas are hybrids, which by the way I did not know prior, I was convinced to get another Sienna instead. So basically I decided to get a Sienna just last Friday and got one delivered by Tuesday.

Discussion starter · #59 ·
You got your Sienna after a weekend of searching??? Unbelievable!
Insurance companies call it "the law of large numbers"...the OP said he emailed the nearest 50 dealers. Its amazing what hard work will do. I found the better job I do in research, negotiating, my car, the better result I get. I did not have to email 50..the nearest 5 dealers worked for me.

I have contacted about 15 dealers, starting with online request from their website, email, and then on the phone. From there, I have driven to, and sat down with about 5 dealers.
1st dealer: I have had a deposit with 1 for 13 months, and the last 8 months have been lies and empty promises. I have a signed contract for MSRP and they now wont honor it, saying that the contract was for a 2022 and now its 2023... and they want a $3500 markup. class act.
2nd: after sitting for an hour, they would not budge below $7500 markup, so I left
3rd: $10K markup. period. so i left
4th: After being promised on the phone that they sell at MSRP and no fees, I took the day off from work and drove a few hours away, only to be hit with a $10K markup, then when negotiating them down, they presented me with tons of BS fees. I got them down to about a $4600 markup with fees. then walked out
5th: $8K markup I got down to $3K after a heavy negotiation, and I still feel like I lost. I have a deposit with this dealer for a future allocation and this feels like my best shot right now

I would have no problem driving or even flying across the country to buy the Sienna I want at MSRP, but I have not found a dealer that is willing to take a deposit on the phone, nor willing to send me a contract to even look it, much less sign, without sitting with them in person. So cannot take the risk of flying across the country for a deal that isn't real.

How are you guys able to work with a dealer far away? What's the secret?

41 - 60 of 185 Posts