Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you have kids or other passengers who turn on the interior lights, they will stay on and run down your battery if you have the switch up front set to "Door" mode. This seems like a bug, not a feature, especially if it will run down your battery.

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and they eventually turn off automatically.)

My solution is to just leave it in "off" mode (but then you lose the benefit of having the lights go on when you open the door).

Also, looks like there is no light for the cargo area?

EDIT: Thanks for those who checked the manual to confirm that the lights automatically turn off after 20 minutes!

·
Registered
2021 LE AWD Silver
47 Posts
I know there is a setting in the dashboard display that will control how long the lights will stay on after you close the doors, I'm not sure if you're also able to force the lights to turn off a given time after the car turns off. If there are, I assume those settings would also be there.

As for the cargo area, there are not lights on the tailgate when it is open, as I've seen on a few other vehicles, but on my car, there is one light set into the ceiling just aft of the rear seats when they're set up, which is honestly kind of dim, but... it's something?

·
Registered
89 Posts
That sounds like something malfunctioning in yours. Doors should turn off once all doors are closed.

However, there is a built in 20 minute timer, so even if the lights are left on by accident, they will turn off after the power switch/ignition is off for 20 minutes.

Page 364-365 in the owners manual. I suggest everyone check there.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
323 Posts
The lights do turn off even if you leave the doors/hatch open. I have left the doors/hatch open for a day or more in the garage with no battery issues.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like something malfunctioning in yours. Doors should turn off once all doors are closed.

However, there is a built in 20 minute timer, so even if the lights are left on by accident, they will turn off after the power switch/ignition is off for 20 minutes.

Page 364-365 in the owners manual. I suggest everyone check there.
You can test it on your own. Manually turn on one of the interior lights with the doors shut (inside the vehicle). Then close the doors, lock your van and step away. That interior light will still be on.

Great find on the 20-minute timer. I didn't realize that and it's a great feature! I haven't waited the full 20 minutes to see if it actually worked out, but I'm sure it does.

Thanks again for flagging!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I believe ROJA is referring to the 2nd and 3rd row lighting that have override switches set to on, these will remain on while the van is in operation (ready/accessory mode). As others have mentioned, if the van is off, they will remain on until the failsafe battery saver cuts them off.

Cargo light - there is one small lamp, top center of the interior portion of the rear hatch trim. It has a switch that can turn it off when the lift-gate is open. In its incandescent factory form it's pretty dim, with an LED upgrade it is quite useable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe ROJA is referring to the 2nd and 3rd row lighting that have override switches set to on, these will remain on while the van is in operation (ready/accessory mode). As others have mentioned, if the van is off, they will remain on until the failsafe battery saver cuts them off.

Cargo light - there is one small lamp, top center of the interior portion of the rear hatch trim. It has a switch that can turn it off when the lift-gate is open. In its incandescent factory form it's pretty dim, with an LED upgrade it is quite useable.
Interested to know more about an LED upgrade - can you just use anything that will fit from an auto parts store?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts