Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its drain and refill.
I do the hw; I watched the video about it on YT at least 3 of them for the 3rd gen (2 with typical ways and 1 with dealer's way; 2 of them are members here).
Also, I've read an un answered question by one of the member here in Oct 2018. Long story short, can this 3rd gen sienna's atf can be changed by old school method ( refill the amount in based on the amount out with condition: the amount and temp of old and new atf are the same and with the assumption the atf was on the correct amount). Thanks in advance ?️

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
??, this guy has or has had 3 ( three) 3rd gen siennas. He is one of my sifus already? thank you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, have you guys have bought yhe tyt ws from ebay? I see one seller is selling them for about $7 something/quart shipped. Do u think it is counterfeit?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I think you answered your own question.

Better safe than sorry. Buy it from a Toyota dealer for authenticity and (hopefully) freshness.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I do the drain and fill using techstream to make sure the atf temperature is in the proper range to set the level. I double check my work by using a graduated cylinder to measure the original fluid drained, the new fluid added, and the excess fluid drained. So yes, you can do a drain and fill by just measuring your fluids, just dont spill your fluid or you will lose count of how much you need to add.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
  • If the old school way is good to go, why many of you do the "more advance" one?? The old school way is dummy proof i guess ( with condition all must be identical and was filled properly from the first place/ manufacturer). It is much easier and faster. Ive done that onto my previous car. I have no intention to argue or being smart ass; simply, lowering the risk factor and choose the easier one. Thanks again.??

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
1) You bought the van used, so you have no idea what might have been done to that tranny by the previous owner. Assume nothing!

2) The transmission is vented, and there will be a certain vapor loss over time. Especially true for WS, being one of the lightest fluids in the industry.

Doing it just by measurement shouldn't make it any worse than you found it. If that's your goal and standard of acceptable work, you will likely achieve success. But doing it by the book should help you to meet or improve upon the situation, and correct any previous wrongs.

·
Registered
297 Posts
In addition to what others have said, if you just drain and fill by measurement, and you happen to accidentally spill some on the floor, either when you drain or when you fill, there is almost no way of knowing how much spilled on the floor to make up for it. Then you will definitely end up with the incorrect amount. Also, there is always some residual that is clings to the side of the drain pan and also the tubes used to fill so it’s no ever an exact amount in and out, although that may be negligible. So I just do it the proper way to ensure the correct amount is filled each time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The difference between this way and the proper way is bringing up to proper temperature range before doing the job and filling till it comes out correct?

If that's the case why waste a chance to get a new tool (if you don't have an obd2 reader or infrared thermometer)? Just get the correct tools and do the job. In the end it's your tranny.

I also would not be buying any ATF fluid from anyone online who is not a verified Toyota Dealer. Too many counterfeits and it's just not worth the risk. We only do this once every score of blue moons any ways.

Reminds me of my sister saying why do you spend $100 to change your own oil...I put less than 10k on my Sienna every year so I only do it once a year. That's a bargain if you ask me and I get to pick a nice warm day to do it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Seen Counterfeit NGK Spark plugs and numerous other OEM Toyota Parts in "Toyota" boxes. Lot of that circulating on Amazon and Ebay. Personally I wouldn't take a chance on a lot of stuff from there if it needs to be original.

Unless I could confirm the seller....Say they are a Toyota Dealer in Miami search the Name and call the dealership after looking up the number yourself from google and confirm they are selling and that is in fact their listing. Seems like it could be more trouble than its worth to me.

For me certain things Like Toyota ATF WS Id rather have the peace of mind knowing it came directly from the dealer because I picked it up from them myself. For the difference it just isn't worth it to me to take a chance. I'm going through the trouble to Use OEM Fluid so it doesn't cause issues with my Transmission if I'm doing that I dont think Id risk it. Just my opinion.

Other things I don't though. Like I use Royal Purple Filters I buy those direct from Royal Purple because that's actually the cheapest way to buy them at the moment.

and I use Pennzoil Ultimate Platinum 0w20 I buy that from Pennzoil off Amazon.

So it's not like I'm saying not to buy things from Amazon. Just be wise about what and whom you are buying from. If it seems to good to be true it could be.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Who knew that there were counterfeit electronic parts and subassemblies out there? Ask NASA. Even they got stung.

(I've attended a few classes on this subject over the past few years. It's becoming a huge deal to ensure your supply chain remains uncontaminated).

Reactions: Siennakucool

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tyt oil filters, im sure there are many or too many on the market (maybe here too). If u google on the china online webs, you will see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts