Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Can any 2008 (or newer) 2nd Gen owners tell me if the side mirrors with the imbedded turn signal are also folding and include a puddle light? My 2006 has all of those features (though several are no longer working) and I'm wondering if I could replace or exchanges parts from a newer model. Primarily I'm looking for the electric folding, turn signal, puddle light, and if possible auto-dimming feature. Oh what the hell ... heated would also be nice 馃槅.

Thanks for any feedback!

Registered
Can any 2008 (or newer) 2nd Gen owners tell me if the side mirrors with the imbedded turn signal are also folding and include a puddle light? My 2006 has all of those features (though several are no longer working) and I'm wondering if I could replace or exchanges parts from a newer model. Primarily I'm looking for the electric folding, turn signal, puddle light, and if possible auto-dimming feature. Oh what the hell ... heated would also be nice 馃槅.
I'd really like to see the answer to this as well, and for me the heated part is the single most important feature. I think my 2nd Gen XLE Limited does have a heater mirror on the drivers side, but not sure about the passenger, but I would really like to have the auto-folding feature and auto-dimming as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I'd really like to see the answer to this as well, and for me the heated part is the single most important feature. I think my 2nd Gen XLE Limited does have a heater mirror on the drivers side, but not sure about the passenger, but I would really like to have the auto-folding feature and auto-dimming as well.
I don't think folding was an option on the 2004-05 models. I could be wrong, but I believe 06 might have been the first year for that. My point being that you likely don't have the controller to fold the mirrors, or the pins in the plug in the door to pass the signal from the controller to the mirror (if you did replace yours with a newer folding version).

My main question is "Does having a turn signal in the mirror indicate that the mirror also has folding?" or "Were there mirrors with built in signals that didn't have folding/puddle lights/auto-dimming/etc?"

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'll find an answer to this soon. I purchased a 2008 side mirror with built in turn signal. Fingers crossed I can gut it for all I need to fix my 2006.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I'll find an answer to this soon. I purchased a 2008 side mirror with built in turn signal. Fingers crossed I can gut it for all I need to fix my 2006.
I just got the mirror in the mail and it looks to have all the same features as my 2006. The listing said it doesn't have auto-dimming, so we'll see about that once I've taken it apart, but I'm pretty excited to have a nearly $500 part for $35 bucks :). The only downside is the shop cut the wire instead of removing the door panel to unplug the mirror. Since I'm just trying to salvage the glass, memory motor gear, etc, I don't mind so much.

Aaaaaand we got the goods!!

Registered
I just got the mirror in the mail and it looks to have all the same features as my 2006. The listing said it doesn't have auto-dimming, so we'll see about that once I've taken it apart, but I'm pretty excited to have a nearly $500 part for $35 bucks :). The only downside is the shop cut the wire instead of removing the door panel to unplug the mirror. Since I'm just trying to salvage the glass, memory motor gear, etc, I don't mind so much.

Aaaaaand we got the goods!!

View attachment 44247

Registered
Hello, how did you get your new mirror apart? Were you able to use the internals on your old mirror housing?
Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I kept my original mirror internals (motors) intact, but swapped in the big white gear from the new donor mirror. I also used the donor mirror's mirror glass because I cracked mine a while back and the auto-dimming magic juice inside leaked out. Because of that my side view was very blurry and I had to buy a burco glass to stick on top of it. That in turn stopped the "heated mirror" feature from working. It's really not hard taking these apart. You can find videos on how to take the door panel off (it's not major) and once you've got the mirror on your workbench you can see every screw you need to remove.

If anyone is looking for salvage parts for one of these mirrors let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts