Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the rack and pinion bushings for a Sienna 2004. Toyota does not make the part and says I need to replace the rack and pinion which is not an option. Anybody has changed these before that can give me any info on alternative parts? Maybe from other model that fits the Sienna 2004?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
You should have a look at youtube for videos on how to do it. Only a handful of members have changed the racks on their siennas. Are the bushings bad? I don't even see the bushings for the rack on rockauto.com.

Regards, JC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi JC.
Yes the rack and pinions are worn out. When I changed the plate bushings, I noticed that the tires still had play when moved from side to side. Looking for the problem I saw that rack and pinion bushings busted. Aligning the car like that is a waste of money. So when I started to look for the parts, Toyota does not make them. They only come with a new rack and pinion and that was their solution. I'm looking for a solution like finding one of another Toyota that fits the Sienna or maybe a bigger one that I can trim down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, but those are for Sienna up to 2003. I am looking for the ones for Sienna 2004. If anyone knows if those work please let me know.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
You may just have to take a chance and try them.

Regards, JC.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My 2004 Sienna has same problem -- excessive play at steering rack bushings and an occasional clunk when turning wheel while vehicle is stationary. I could not find just the bushing anywhere, am just living with it for the last few years. The ebay part looks like it is different.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The bushings wore out on my 05 XLE steering rack resulting in a lot of loose play in the steering and a host of other steering problems. I ordered a new steering rack from the Rack Doctor and had my mechanic put it in. I'd recommend that route rather than trying to replace the bushings themselves. He said it was less work to replace the whole rack rather than trying to find some bushings that would work to replace.

Steering Rack: $170
Labor: $180
Alignment: $50

So for $400 my van drives like new now. More peace of mind in my opinion with replacing the whole rack.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just noticed the same movement on mine. Another person had ordered bushings for an Avalon and said they fit perfect. Here's the post- http://www.siennachat.com/forum/153...roblem-40-didnt-have-buy-new-rack-pinion.html
This article is referring to the 1st Gen Sienna, up to 2003:

The 2nd Gen Sienna uses a different mounting that requires two pair of these type of bushings:

These appear to have an outer race on them, which could mean that they are pressed into the rack mounting tabs (which would explain why they are not regularly sold separately from the racks).

Has anyone tried to replace these?

Thanks. John

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I too searched for bushings to no avail. I ended up swapping the rack with a reman and it looks like they are not replaceable.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just sent a request to Rack Doctor to ask if they think we can replace bushings.

If it's a matter of prying them out with a drift or chisel and tapping new ones in, that I maybe can do with the rack still on the car. If I have to remove the rack to remove/press in new ones, I have a shop press so I can do that as well.

-- John

·
Registered
226 Posts
Actually, just thinking about this --

The bushings I found are $26/pr, so $50-60 for bushings alone. Rack Doctor has a completely remanufactured rack for just onve $100 more than that. It is probably not worth replacing just the bushings for the cost difference and the amount of effort it may take, considering that the existing rack is 10+ years old.

So, unless I get a reply back indicating that I can purchase bushings from them cheap and can replace them with the rack still on the car, I'm probably looking at a new rack.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Fyi there are now a few different listings on eBay for the 2004-2011 rack bushings ... ~$25/pr. There is even a kit for sale that contains two paris of bushings and two boots.

What I still don't know is how hard these are pressed into the mounting tabs on the rack. It will be a real pain to remove them if they are pressed in like wheel bearings or control arm bushings -- i.e. you have to drill or burn out the centers of the bushing, then use a hacksaw to cut the outer race to loosen them.

I am on the fence of just buying a new rack and being done with it for another 10 years ... but if anyone out there has tried to replace these bushings, or if anyone is replacing their rack and will hang onto their old rack long enough to see how hard it is to remove the old bushings from the rack, your info would be most helpful here :)

Thanks. John

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello all - This is my first post on this site. I usually just come here and "Lurk" and read when I need help with solving a problem. I have found a lot of good advice and help here and I am very thankful for those members who contribute regularly and post there repair solutions. I figure it is time to give back a little.

For S2004, I had the same issue this past summer. I rebuilt ' replaced the front suspension on my 2004 Sienna XLE FWD. Took lots of notes and pictures I hope to post some day. However, my steering rack mount bushings were also worn out. The local Toyota dealer quoted an complete new steering rack for $1200.00 USD when my issue was simply worn out mounting bushings. They claim they are not a service part.

I was able to locate an exact fit high quality Polyurethane replacement bushings under the brand name of Ricochet Performance Products. The part number was L79, and is sold on eBay by CSM Restoration Parts, (as item #112543546540). They are a bit Pricy at $36.00 USD for the set. But it is better than the price of a rebuilt steering rack.

To install I simply had to unbolt the rack in two places lift it up out of it's enclosed mount with a crow bar, (no need to disconnect tie rod ends or steering linkage), push the old rubber bushings out and put the new polyurethane in, (kit has new steel washers as well). The bushings themselves are split in design with a steel center shaft so you install from both sides with the steel washer between the polyurethane bushing material and the inside of the mount, this makes it easy. The polyurethane is superior in stiffness wear characteristics. The spec's say they are tough 90 durometer polyurethane and Para-Aramid fiber bushings will give a tighter steering response than soft original rubber bushings. so bottom line they will last longer. The kit includes lithium Teflon grease. DO NOT forget to use the grease provided to coat the bushings all over or they may squeak when moving under load against the steel mounts. I have included a picture of the kit along with a drawing I made of the part dimensions, and a link to the ebay site. Good luck and I hope this information helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey, just curious - I'd love to know more about what you did to swap out the rack bushings. How long would it take a semi-skilled person to do it, given an allowance for never having done it before?

·
Registered
67 Posts
bryanska,

Sorry for the delay in response.

I would give your self 4 hours. With that said it can be done faster, but if you are anything like myself I work a bit slower and very deliberate focusing on a good quality job. If the two mount bolts are have never been removed and are corroded, (like I see here offend in Snow belt), it might take you some time to get them loose. I had the benefit of using an air impact gun.

Prying the rack up out of the "Cupped" mounting bracket, (metal both sides), could also be hard if you do not have enough leverage. Make sure you get the vehicle as high up off the ground as your jack stands will allow, (please use jack stands). The reason I say that is because I used a 4 foot long crow bar to lift the rack up and out of the mounts. That amount of leverage made it lift out fairly easy. Again you only need to clear the mounts to install the new bushings. Another tip, While the rack was out of the mounts I used a hammer to Spread the upper surface of the mount open a little by hitting each side to Splay it open a little bit to assist in reassembly, (the Teflon grease helps as well). That way you do not have to hammer the rack down so much to get it back in. Tightening up the bolts will draw everything back in. Unfortunately I did not take as many pictures on this as I should but I do have a snap of one of the mounts (attached), before I took it apart. It will give you a visual of what the mounting bracket looks like.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts