Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Radio AUX button does not work any more

65K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  nand 
#1 ·
HI, we have an 08 Sienna LE, and after a few months (bought it used), when you scroll thru the steering wheel controls you no longer get to AUX and on the radio, when you press the buttons, AUX does not activate either, so I can't play thru my ipod any more.

Has this happened to anyone before?
any suggestions?

#4 ·
Hi,

I just have days trying to imagine that in 20 years plus as a Toyota owner, and knowing that every problem that occurs in my Toyota's happend to the same vehicles to somebody else.
In the case of the Sienna is extrange that nobodyelse experineces the same problem of the AUX mode button.

It is happend in our Sienna 2004 LE FWD, and know after weeks searching, we found this post from Kenfused, and without any reply that expereinces the problem, or know how to deal with the problem.

If somebody what to share how to deal with this problem, it is already welcome and thanks,

#5 ·
Sorry about the trouble you are both having.
Although it does not seem to be a widespread/common problem among many 2ndGen Sienna owners based upon general knowledge and exposure to it, I would bet that there are more than the 2 of you that are affected.

I'm not an iPod/MP3-player fanboy and I haven't yet had a need for the AUX mode, so I don't think I've even attempted using it (or even really noticing it) in my 04....which doesn't have the AUX input jack feature built-in on the dashboard like later models do from 06 or 07+ (I forget...??).

If the cause is shared in common....I'm thinking that because the 08/kenfused and 04/siennapr have different headunits, then the fault/problem probably lies elsewhere. Maybe a control interface, wire connector, or button/switch failed somewhere along the path between the dashboard and the steering wheel??
Just guessing....

YMMV.
Good Luck!! 8)

#6 ·
Yes, your are correct '08 and '04 use different radios, but the behavior is the same.

'08 use the auxiliary button, '04 need to use the disc button.

If still searching and looking for information.

Do you know where the Sienna 2004 wiring diagram could be found??

Thanks,

#7 ·
If Aux Mode on your stereo head unit can no longer be enabled, it's due to that the aux port fails to signal the stereo head that a patch cable has been plugged in. This failure occurred when my 2007 Sienna was only two years old.

Here is a simple modification that will enable the Aux mode to work again. You must solder contacts that are set in a plastic connector so good heat in minimal time. This mod does not restore factory functionality; rather it will spoof the stereo head unit to sense a patch cable is inserted into the aux jack full time, aux mode will be selectable whether or not a cable is inserted.

In my Sienna, the aux jack is mounted on one end of a small PC board. The other end of the PC board is the connector that plugs into the console. Remove the “aux jack/pc board” wherever it is. Very easy in my Sienna, not one screw and the panel on the right side popped right off using a credit card from the bottom.

This mod is done on the connector that plugs into the console. The Pin 1–3 are L+, R+ (or visa-versa), then audio common/ground. Pin 4 is the signaling contact. Cut pin 4 flush from the PC board and bend up slightly to clear it from touching any contact on the board. Solder a 3.3K resistor between pin3 (common) and the lifted pin 4 on the connector side. Using a 5K pot, I discovered Aux mode begins to function at approximately 750 ohms. There was plenty of room for the addition of the resistor where the board is housed. Reassembly was literally a few snaps.

I’m back a few years later now and I am VERY happy to hear that this information has helped others to get their sound system working again.

Electronics Technology Electronic device Electronic component Circuit component

#14 ·
If Aux Mode on your stereo head unit can no longer be enabled, it's due to that the aux port fails to signal the stereo head that a patch cable has been plugged in. This failure occurred when my 2007 Sienna was only two years old.

Here is a simple modification that will enable the Aux mode to work again. You must solder contacts that are set in a plastic connector so good heat in minimal time. This mod does not restore factory functionality; rather it will spoof the stereo head unit to sense a patch cable is inserted into the aux jack full time, aux mode will be selectable whether or not a cable is inserted.

In my Sienna, the aux jack is mounted on one end of a small PC board. The other end of the PC board is the connector that plugs into the console. Remove the “aux jack/pc board” wherever it is. Very easy in my Sienna, not one screw and the panel on the right side popped right off using a credit card from the bottom.

This mod is done on the connector that plugs into the console. The Pin 1–3 are L+, R+ (or visa-versa), then audio common/ground. Pin 4 is the signaling contact. Cut pin 4 flush from the PC board and bend up slightly to clear it from touching any contact on the board. Solder a 3.3K resistor between pin3 (common) and the lifted pin 4 on the connector side. Using a 5K pot, I discovered Aux mode begins to function at approximately 750 ohms. There was plenty of room for the addition of the resistor where the board is housed. Reassembly was literally a few snaps.

I’m back a few years later now and I am VERY happy to hear that this information has helped others to get their sound system working again.

View attachment 2832
This worked for me in 2023! Thanks for the archives, if you're still around.

#8 ·
You're my hero! I have the same problem with the aux jack on my 2007 Lexus IS350 and you just helped me make a $140+ repair with $1.60 in resistors and 15 mins. The hardest part on my car was getting the module out of the console box - the cable that connects to it is *just* long enough to see the bottom of the module, but not enough to pinch the connector to release. I just kept tugging at it and eventually the module popped off. Soldering the resistor was a piece of cake.

I've seen others who have found and fixed cracked solder joints on the PCB, but this was by far the easiest fix. Thanks again!

Rob

#9 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this, I never would have been able to solve the issue without it. One difference, on my 2008 Toyota Camry the harness connector had 8 pins. When I examined it closely, There were four pins that are accessible and four more underneath. The four pins that are easily accessible are exactly the same four pins that are shown in the picture in this tread, and the resistor solder on pins 3-4 on those will effect the repair. BTW - you can find excellent videos on disassembling the dash (which is very easy for this repair) on youtube - search for "stereo removal toyota camry 2008". Sometime I just love the internet.

#12 ·
I own a 2006 Sienna SE and have this problem also. Please advise if this situation appears to be the same issue, before I attempt the soldering described in this post. Thanks all for contributing this helpful info!
I had enjoyed playing music and podcasts from my iPhone through the radio system for years and then it suddenly stopped working. Just this last weekend I purchased a new patch cord thinking that might be the problem, though I had tried this once before. When I first plugged it all in and pressed AUX, the system worked and I listened through my iPhone once again. However, next time I tried to listen through the iPhone, the AUX button would again not respond.

#15 ·
I recently fixed the Aux port on my 2009 Sienna simply by removing the board pictured above and then resoldering all of the connections to the 3.5mm jack. I had purchased a replacement board on eBay but have just returned it since it's now unneeded.

Agreed that by far the hardest part of this fix is getting the four (!!!) (I think) pieces of plastic housing separated from one another.