Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2013 limted awd with rear entertainment and nav. lately the radio and cd player has been cut in and out. it does it while I'm driving or parked. FM and AM, I have timed it and every 5 min it cuts out for 10 sec. Dvd does not work. radio and cd only works when dvd is in dvd player. if I removed the dvd...there is no sound out of radio or cd player. I'm out of warranty...has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a 2013 limted awd with rear entertainment and nav. lately the radio and cd player has been cut in and out. it does it while I'm driving or parked. FM and AM, I have timed it and every 5 min it cuts out for 10 sec. Dvd does not work. radio and cd only works when dvd is in dvd player. if I removed the dvd...there is no sound out of radio or cd player. I'm out of warranty...has anyone experienced this?
Did you ever find the fix to this issue? I'm having the exact same problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too on a 2012 Limited. It happens almost exactly every 20 seconds on any media (BT, radio, CD). I actually have not tried DVD since the issue started for me, I'm going to go check. This issue was actually the reason I joined the forum.

I saw in another thread for 2008, they unplugged the DVD/rear entertainment system (because the DVD seemingly was the issue?), and that got the audio working again for them.

Just checked, and yep, the DVD no longer shows up as an option in the menu, and the rear screen doesn't power up. I'll check fuses tomorrow, but i doubt that's it. What is weird is that the DVD has power, and as soon as I eject the DVD, all audio cuts out entirely. With a DVD in, the audio (radio/BT/CD) will work for 20 seconds before cutting out for a few seconds (rinse repeat).

This is very frustrating.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't have DVD players but our radio will cut in and out if someone in the back area is using one of the USB ports?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a great thread, but there is no resolution on the issue. Mine started right after I got an oil change. It is super annoying. If anyone has fixed the issue please share your results. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
FWIW, when we had our 2006 Sienna, the JBL head unit would randomly go blank when it was hot outside.
Even though the van was out of warranty, Toyota had a recall and ended up replacing it for free.
You should contact your dealership or Toyota and report the issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everyone, we just purchased a 2012 Sienna XLE with 109k miles for $12,900, coming from a 2008 Honda Odyssey Touring with 258k miles which was/is still a great van but was about to need more work then I wanted to perform.

But on to the Sienna, when we test drove the Sienna at a Toyota Dealer here in Houston (Fred Haas) the Radio/DVD worked but now just the Radio works and it cuts out for a couple seconds every two minutes or so. Rear DVD screen is not working/turning on. I see others are having the same issue. We will be contacting our salesman and hopefully the Toyota Dealer will correct but I would like to bring this thread back up in the hopes someone above may care to share a solution/fix.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A bit of additional information. The battery cables/terminals had some corrosion on them so I removed the battery and cleaned the cables with baking soda and water in a cup. Nice to see them good and clean but this didn't resolve our issue. In the Navigation System Manual they mention a "Rear System Lock" for the rear entertainment system and this option is not showing when you push Setup, General, and it should show up above "Beep" and below "Language" or in the second position. It does not. I should note this is on a JBL Navigation Radio/Entertainment system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm going to find the answer to this and will post the result when I find it. Until then I have reached out to "DadTaxi" and "ScottDMD03" above to see if they found a solution. I did find this on JustAnswer which may have been posted/asked by one of the individuals above and the solution based upon the rating (5 Stars) may be the Multi-Media Interface.

And here is a second thread related to this one here on Sienna Chat that is also lacking the solution:

Can anyone identify where the Multi-Media Interface is located in the van? Part Number is: 861A008011 / 861A0-08011, prior model/version 861A008010 / 861A0-08010.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Found it, Number 4 on the picture below the radio:

https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota__Sienna/63608828__6709038/RADIO-RECEIVER--AMPLIFIER--CONDENSER/622430-8601.html

As part of our purchase Fred Haas installed a new windshield as the old one had a pretty big/long crack going through it. I am starting to think that the cabling from the Multi-Media Interface and/or DVD player may be running up the A frame of the windshield to get into the ceiling and the cable may have been pulled, pinched, cut, or damaged in some way. It would be intresting to be able to ask the individuals who started this Thread if they perhaps had just installed a new windshield as well. Anyone know the routing of the cables from the Monitor on the ceiling down to the MMI/DVD Player?

·
Registered
11 Posts
In case anyone is following this but it also makes a great diary to self! Wife took the van in to Fred Haas today and they appear to be standing behind the van they sold us and are attempting to correct the issue with the Radio/DVD. They acknowledge that the replacement of the Windshield and/or the repair to the side window (driver side passenger door window) guide most likely caused the issue. The side window was taped up when we test drove the van and part of the deal of the purchase was two new front tires, new front windshield since it had a huge crack in it, and the side window repair. According to the salesman who so far has been A++++ when the mechanics were repairing the side door window (Run Channel) they had wires all over the place which is kinda scary in itself as how many wires are involved in replacing the run channel? Apparently the front windshield guy said it was unlikely he would have caused the issue but there is a possibility as the wires apparently do run up the A pillar. Stay Tuned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update on this, Dealer called yesterday and they believe the issue lies with the DVD Screen/Monitor. Apparently they swapped in a Screen/Monitor from another Sienna and when they did that it fixed the problem in our van. They said they have ordered another screen which should take approx four days to arrive. Will update forum with additional updates when received. Stay Tuned.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Update on this, Dealer called yesterday and they believe the issue lies with the DVD Screen/Monitor. Apparently they swapped in a Screen/Monitor from another Sienna and when they did that it fixed the problem in our van. They said they have ordered another screen which should take approx four days to arrive. Will update forum with additional updates when received. Stay Tuned.
I assume you will get a screen from a salvaged vehicle or a refurbished one since new ones are expensive - retail price around $10,000 last time I checked. I'm super protective of the screen and make sure it is stowed when not in use. I remember a thread about a screen in the view position getting trashed by something hitting it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am assuming that will be the case, they didn't state a new or an old one but I am presuming a used one. The screen itself worked on Sunday and when picked up the following Thursday it would not display any life along with the other issues of the radio not working unless a DVD disc was loaded and the audio cutting out for a few seconds every two minutes or so. I was strongly leaning towards either damage to a cable due to replacing the windshield or the Multi-Media Interface as being the culprit so I am surprised by the screen being the issue.

However from reading many posts it appears the Gen 2 Sienna's had similar issues and the solution was to remove the cover of the screen and unplug the wire from the DVD player which is also mounted on the ceiling next to the screen and replug. So perhaps the Gen 3's are having similar issues. Unfortunately I don't know the mechanics so I can't ask them to reinstall the old screen and test it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would like to contribute this new post I made yesterday to this thread in the hopes of helping others and myself:

Our model: 2012 Limited AWD

One day, after nothing out of the ordinary and used per normal, I started the van up and the radio and CD volume and the volume display quit, 100%. Voice activation, rear DVD and nav volume worked. First independent shop pulled the radio receiver (head unit) and diagnosed that the harnesses, connections to the amp and wires were functioning properly and the radio receiver was "bad". I found several correct model code radios at used part sites for around $450. But what if he was wrong and the radio was good? I would be out the cost of the part and no further ahead.

I took the van to a Toyota dealer. They were nice enough to diagnose for no charge and found an identifiable problem as PART of the issue (no radio volume). With me in the van he unplugged the black connector at the rear of the radio and, wouldn't you know it, the radio volume returned. Then when the plug was reinserted to the radio the volume died 100%. He told me the plug is connected to the "Computer Assembly, Multi-media Interface". The part # for this thing that fits my 2012 is: 861A008011. The dealer who helped me found, to their surprise, 2 of these things IN STOCK at the warehouse they pull from. Since this obscure part was in stock they surmised Toyota knows this part is failing and that's why it's so readily available. Retail is around $430. Several on line dealerships sell it for around $315.

So i am currently riding with radio and CD volume, back up cam is functioning, navigation functioning (without voice assist). I have voice activation functions, but don't know if telephone function works. I don't know if the rear DVD player works because I haven't checked yet.

I would like all the stuff to function as intended, not only for me but for whomever I eventually sell the van to.

1. Has anyone experienced this problem or a similar one?
2. If I buy and install the Multi-media Interface do you think everything will work?
3. Do you think something else is causing the problem?
4. Do you think something is "attacking" these interfaces to cause them to go bad, if, in fact, the interface is REALLY bad and causing entire problem?

Thank you VERY MUCH for reading about my problem and BIG THANKS if someone can help me.

9-20-19 10:45 AM eastern UPDATE:

I read in JUSTANSWER, I think,: "Multi-media Interface may have locked up or lost communication. Test and reprogram with Toyota Scan Tool."
BTW, don't expect to pick one of these up at Harbor Freight! I heard these scan tools are very expensive, upwards of a couple of grand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tom, one thing to try on yours as your situation is slightly different is to disconnect the negative cable from the battery for a few minutes, step on the brake pedal ten times and turn on the lights, etc... to make sure all power is out of the system and then reconnect the negative battery. I tried this on my van after I watched a youtube video of a guy who has a Toyota non-sienna but similar issue and this fixed his issue and many others in the comment section. The dealer according to him wanted to start replacing parts when all it required was a hard restart, perhaps our audio systems run on windows and need a reboot ;-).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok, dealer (Fred Haas - salesman Randy Sampson) were terrific in all aspects. They replaced the screen with low and behold a brand new one with the wrapping and everything on it. Randy said the screen would now be under warranty since it was new and that it cost the dealer ~$700 instead of the $10,000 it shows online.

Suggestions for those who follow and are reading this post is to start with the easy/cheap things first:

1. Check your fuses. On my Sienna there are four of them:
a. Fuse 26 (engine bay) - RSE - 15 Amp
b. Fuse 28 (engine bay) - AMP - 30 Amp
c. Fuse 36 (engine bay) - RAD No. 1 - 15 Amp
d. Fuse 2 (under steering wheel) - RAD No. 2 - 7.5 Amp
2. Make sure your battery connections are clean and your battery is good. With so many electronics in vehicles today weird things can happen when connections aren't clean and the battery isn't strong/robust enough.
3. Try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes, then step on the brake ten (10) times and also turn on the headlights, etc... to make sure any residual power is out of the system. Reconnect the negative battery cable and test the system. Of course doing this you will lose some settings, presets, time on the clock, engine will need to relearn a few things etc... but if a "reboot" works than time/money saved.
4. Try unplugging the screen and then plug the screen back in. I read many posts about similar issues on the Gen 2 Sienna's and they seem to be able to correct there issues by unplugging and reconnecting. This may have fixed the issues my van was having but since the dealer was doing the work I couldn't get this theory tested/confirmed.
5. Other sources are suggesting the issue lies with the Multi-Media Interface (part numbers in posts above). This would have been my first item to purchase and replace had I been flying solo on this and these can be found on ebay for <$50.

If all the above fails you may need to take into the Dealer or a mechanic that has the scanners required to pull the codes from all the affected modules controlling the Audio/Nav/DVD/Etc. system and perhaps utilize a service like justanswer where a Toyota mechanic can direct you on your next steps.

But for sure please post your findings here so this issue can be further documented and solutions found. All the best everyone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts