Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I found rats droppings in the car , then found the air filter Chewed up...

I covered the cabin air intake with steel mesh, but a few weeks later I had the following warning lights on the dashboard one morning.

Pre collision system malfunction Antilock brake system malfunction Lane departure alert malfunction Check brake system And the parkingbreak light stays on.
The scan tool got code c1407 open or short in rear speed sensor circuit.

I took the rear right wheel off to look for any obvious wire damage didn’t see anything,

I looked in the access panel behind the right rear door, and chewing on some wires but no obvious cut wires.

How should I proceed ? I’m assuming I have to get the panels off on the right rear to get a look at the rest of the wires etc... but can’t find any instructions on removing them.
Also, hopefully I can find how they are getting access to that part of the car to stop this.
BD0DCFDD-2563-426C-B86A-E93A9DE319A4.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have nothing to offer on how to fix the wiring but this would likely be covered under your insurance as a comprehensive loss. When I was an insurance adjuster, we covered these all the time and they got expensive real fast.

·
Registered
27 Posts
View attachment 45561 Hello,
I found rats droppings in the car , then found the air filter Chewed up...

I covered the cabin air intake with steel mesh, but a few weeks later I had the following warning lights on the dashboard one morning.

Pre collision system malfunction Antilock brake system malfunction Lane departure alert malfunction Check brake system And the parkingbreak light stays on.
The scan tool got code c1407 open or short in rear speed sensor circuit.

I took the rear right wheel off to look for any obvious wire damage didn’t see anything,

I looked in the access panel behind the right rear door, and chewing on some wires but no obvious cut wires.

How should I proceed ? I’m assuming I have to get the panels off on the right rear to get a look at the rest of the wires etc... but can’t find any instructions on removing them.
Also, hopefully I can find how they are getting access to that part of the car to stop this. View attachment 45559 View attachment 45559
View attachment 45559
View attachment 45559
Try essence of Peppermint oil.You can find it at health food stores and some walmarts, etc.
Put it in a spray bottle and spray all under the hood area,,, rats do not like the smell.
Put about 20 drops into a half full spray bottle of water.

·
Super Moderator
4,748 Posts
I use a lot of Liquid Fence around my acre plus to steer the deer around my property. I like the idea of those big rats eating my neighbor's plants and not mine.

This past year I began spraying the blacktop around the cars, as it seems to also be pretty effective against any mammals. When I found actual damage under the hood of my daughter's Honda, I soaked a paper towel with the stuff, put it in a sandwich ziplock baggy, and stashed it under the hood. It smells a bit if you get your nose close, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference to us inside the vehicle. But for now, it seems to be controlling the problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We live on a farm and even though our cars are in a garage we've had mice eat the fuel injection harness out of our sienna and they were nesting above the headliner, it was like a science fiction movie. I've found the best repellent is light, mice don't like to be out in the open. So I leave the hood open on our cars whenever they're not being driven and I put a cord with a small LED bulb inside the car and leave it on over night. I assume when you say rats you're talking about pack rats, not rat rats. My friend lives in New Mexico and he has the same problem with pack rats out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts