Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a rattle in my exhaust system that was driving myself and my wife crazy. My local garage found the gasket between the header pipe and the final catalytic converter was bad allowing the two sections to bang against each other. This is the joint with spring loaded bolts holding it together. They showed me where exhaust was escaping there too. Total cost was $78.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,340 Posts
Welcome!

There is a thick composite doughnut gasket located between the two flanges, and kept under tension by the spring bolts. It's designed to allow some flex as the drivetrain moves relative to the fixed exhaust pipes. But over time, the movement abrades the gasket, and it wears out. This is especially true if there is undue movement in the drivetrain.... You might have your mechanic check your motor mounts on your next visit, as a dead flex doughnut could be a sign of an engine that's rocking too much.

Reactions: aburnham2

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had the same rattle with the same fix. About the same piece too, I think.

Reactions: aburnham2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same issue with our 06 Sienna. When I pulled the catalytic converter off, a small shard of what was left of the gasket fell out. $15 at Napa and no noise or exhaust leak.

Now I'm worried about my motor mounts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know .. old thread, but figured I would post a picture of the old and new exhaust donut. There may be one somewhere on here, but I didn't see it in a quick search. This is from just behind the Y pipe. No wonder it was rattling.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for reviving this thread and showing the picture of the gasket. We have a rattle in our '04 FWD LE that has been driving me nuts for for over a year now. This could be it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I found the gasket at Autozone and replaced it. In the process I found the clamps around the heat shield on the Y exhaust were rusty and one was broken. At first I thought I had found the source of my rattle but after replacing everything it's still there. Sigh. After 160K miles the exhaust gasket did need to be replaced. It came out in pieces.

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Sienna LE AWD 129K Miles
2 Posts
I know .. old thread, but figured I would post a picture of the old and new exhaust donut. There may be one somewhere on here, but I didn't see it in a quick search. This is from just behind the Y pipe. No wonder it was rattling.
I am having the same problem on my Sienna. I know this is an old thread but do you by any chance have the part number for that gasket?
Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts