Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just changed my 2017 sienna xle rear brake pad after bought it two weeks ago.
it has 36k mile on it.
what i found strange is, the front brake pad still got life on them but rear pad is quite thin.
when i changed rear pad, the four pad only has the metal clip for the bottom part of the pad, not for the upper. is the missing clip causing the rear pad to wear more than front?
I didn't take the front down to check.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what i also noticed is my xle has low mpg. 16.4 compared to 19/27.
can that missing clip cause the brake pad to stick to rotor all the time?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The left pair are the old pads for the inner side. The right pair is the outer pads.
So the old pad only has one clip on each pad on the lower end, the upper end has no clip, so I cn see the gap as shown in the picture.
What surprised me was, all front pads has no clips at all. Are those missing clips causing theow mpg and wear problem?
I lift up the rear wheel, and rotate it, I can hear some light grinding sound, is it normal? I didn't hear the same sound in the front wheel when lift up and rotate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nissan vehicles do the same thing rear always go first for some reason.Im curious what mine look like after picking it up used after a lease return

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rear pads use different material (softer material) for noise reduction. The wear looks fine to me. Did you buy your van preowned? I've never had issues with Denso pads but if you bought your car preowned, dealers need to qualify cars for their Certified programs with certain specifications - meaning tire or brake pad replacements at certain measurements. Since you replaced your rear pads, did you inspect the slide pins? Also if it's AWD it will wear tires and brakes quicker.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The two pictures of clips your posted look good to me, the pad wear doesn't look too weird either. Both of the clips are there, one just has a little extra tab. What is your driving pattern like? My FWD XLE does 80% city and only get a little better mpg than that.

·
Registered
206 Posts
In most cases the front pads wear faster than the rears. The front do most of the braking. The PO may have changed the fronts already before you bought it. If your traction control kicks in a lot, it can cause the pads to wear faster. Looking at the wear pattern, the rear pads look good. Even wear, but worn out. The clip you mentioned is the wear indicator clip which makes an loud sound as the pads are near the end. Only one per pad is used. It looks like its installed on the end of the tang which may have prevented the pads from retracting. I always replace all the pads and fluids when I buy a used vehicle so I know the work is done right and start fresh. All too often owners just toss new pads on. You need to grease the pins, resurface the rotors, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts