Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am replacing the rear brake pads and drums on my 2004 Toyota Sienna CE and wanted to know if advisable or if it requires bleeding of the brake fluids? Can you help please. Thanks

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's not required but it's recommended to replace the brake fluid every two years.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Bleeding the brakes only takes a couple minutes but flushing the brakes requires that you start at the back, do both sides, then move forward. If you're doing this on one jack stand, one wheel at a time, it's a pain because you have to lift up the front and pull the front wheels too. It may be possible to bleed the front brakes without taking the wheels off, but I imagine it would be a more of a pain than jacking the front and pulling the wheels. If you're lucky enough to have a lift, I'd say go for it! After bad experience using one of those fluids which claims "universal compatibility," I am a firm believer in buying ALL fluids other than oil and washer fluid direct from the dealer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for this. I think it's better to flush when I change my winter tires that way I have lift them all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
2006 LE. Let me know how replacing the rear drums worked out as far as the vehicle being vibration free. I struggled for a month to solve a vibration issue I had with two sets of different brands , one being oem , from the dealer. As it turned out the drums were out of round, right out of the box. The issue was vibration at low speed ( about 45 mph) , low frequency , then subsided as the speed increased to 65 mph then all hell broke loose. The ENTIRE van started shaking vigoursly. By that time I had tossed the old drums. If the present drum is vibration free hold on to it for a while to compare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts