Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He All. I am having an issue removing the rear discs on my 2012 Sienna. It feels like the shoes for the parking break are stock near the top of the disc. I've tried using a BFH, using the 8 mm bolt in the pilot holes, and it will not pop off.

Has anyone else run into this issue? What did you do to resolve this issue.

·
Registered
197 Posts
He All. I am having an issue removing the rear discs on my 2012 Sienna. It feels like the shoes for the parking break are stock near the top of the disc. I've tried using a BFH, using the 8 mm bolt in the pilot holes, and it will not pop off.

Has anyone else run into this issue? What did you do to resolve this issue.
Never have encounter a stuck rear rotor. Assuming your parking brake is not engaged, when you turn the rear rotor by hand does it spin? You can back the parking brake adjuster screw out a bit to free the disc. Turn the rotor so that rubber cover covering the parking shoe adjuster is in I believe the 6’oclock position and back the screw out to free up the parking shoes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never have encounter a stuck rear rotor. Assuming your parking brake is not engaged, when you turn the rear rotor by hand does it spin? You can back the parking brake adjuster screw out a bit to free the disc. Turn the rotor so that rubber cover covering the parking shoe adjuster is in I believe the 6’oclock position and back the screw out to free up the parking shoes.
It spins, but I can tell it is dragging. Thanks for the suggestion on adjusting the brake adjuster screw. I was wondering what that rubber plug was on the disc. At first I thought it was a set screw.

Do you know which I would turn the screw? Is it a regular screw or a wheel?

·
Registered
197 Posts
It spins, but I can tell it is dragging. Thanks for the suggestion on adjusting the brake adjuster screw. I was wondering what that rubber plug was on the disc. At first I thought it was a set screw.

Do you know which I would turn the screw? Is it a regular screw or a wheel?
Use a flat head screw driver to push against the wheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use a flat head screw driver to push against the wheel.
Thanks. I will give that a try. It was so frustrating yesterday when I was trying to get the rear off. The fronts were a piece of cake and I have never had this issue with rear discs on any other vehicle I have changed them on.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks. I will give that a try. It was so frustrating yesterday when I was trying to get the rear off. The fronts were a piece of cake and I have never had this issue with rear discs on any other vehicle I have changed them on.
Yea the parking shoes brake is a pain. Also if I remember correctly if you push up against the adjuster screw that’s to tighten the parking brake and down is to loosen.

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
212 Posts
Oh man, an hour earlier and I could have posted a pic since I just finished changing rear disks this morning. The rubber plug is just a cover; you turn the disk so it's at the bottom and then remove it. Then you can reach through the hole and turn the star wheel to adjust the shoes.

I needed the M8 bolts to push my disk off, but the parking shoes were not dragging.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Like others have said you need to loosen the parking brake shoe adjuster wheel to clear the shoes when pulling the disc. Use a flashlight to locate the star adjustment wheel, in one direction you will eventually cause the shoes to press against the drum and will hit a hard stop, in the other they will back off and give you the clearance you need. When reinstalling the discs you will need to adjust them to regain use of the parking brake, search youtube for examples of how to manually adjust drum parking brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got around to tackling the rears today. Thanks to all of the advice from the forum. Turning the star wheel on the parking brakes did the trick. Backed it all the way in and the discs came right off. As it turns out, the spring retainers on the passenger side had come apart which made that side even more difficult to come off. I found all of the hardware when I finally got that disc off and thankfully was able to reinstall the springs and retainers as they were not damaged.

I did not tighten up the parking brakes too much as I do not use them very often but may fiddle with them some more if they seem to loose.

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
212 Posts
Maybe it depends where you live but I use the park brake almost every time. Habit from bus driving, I guess, but it's a good habit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts