Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Since it's recent and you recently rotated when wheels, I would switch the wheels front to back. If it gets less, you probably have a bent rim. I would also check that it isn't something trivial, like improperly tightened lug nuts. I had that once where I was putting the regular wheel back on in place of the spare. I had barely jacked it up enough, so the regular wheel was touching the ground. Turned out that it was slightly less than fully seated on the hub. Tightened everything down and lowered the car back down. Fortunately, I realized I forgot something and jacked the van back up where I found the wheel was loose enough to wiggle slightly. Barring that, I'd suspect wheel bearings.

·
Registered
'04 XLE-L 2WD
1,031 Posts
The FSM make a big deal about matchmarks. Were the driveshafts dynamically balanced at the factory? IDK but I also don't know why else they'd specify matchmarks. If you didn't, maybe unbolt the shaft, turn it 90°, and see if the vibration goes away or changes?

·
Registered
2006 XLE Limited, AWD
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
The FSM make a big deal about matchmarks. Were the driveshafts dynamically balanced at the factory? IDK but I also don't know why else they'd specify matchmarks. If you didn't, maybe unbolt the shaft, turn it 90°, and see if the vibration goes away or changes?
I marked up the driveshaft all along the way from the flange at the rear diff to the transfer case to make sure the ears at the ujoints line up and to bolt up exactly as it came down. I must have driven it about 400 total miles before the rear vibrations started. At first they were hardly noticeable and then they became more pronounced. They are now stable and predictable. No vibrations until 55pmh and they level off and lessen at 70mph but dont go away entirely. The rear shocks are originals and on my latest drive I noticed a very very slight swaying sensation during the pulsation vibrations. I'm starting to think those rear shocks have given up after the repeated lifts up and down to place it on jack stands to do the diff flush and to drop the driveshaft. So I may replace them before I do anything else.

·
Registered
2006 XLE Limited, AWD
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I replaced the rear shocks and they might have dampened the vibrations, but only slightly. I still feel vibrations at speeds at 55mph and above. What I have noticed though is that vibrations seem to be more pronounced and easier to pick up when I take my foot off the gas (again as long as the car is going above 55 mph-below that the vibrations go away whether under load or coasting).

I also doublechecked the new ujoints. They are still centered w no play, the inside retaining clips are flush against the yoke walls and when I rotated the driveshaft in neutral all seemed ok, no binding or play or anything odd. Again the fact that I drove it for a day and a half and 400 plus miles before the vibrations seems to point to something else.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts