Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen crash test data for rear-end collisions? Or has anyone been rear-ended in their gen 4?

It's one of my worst fears to stick my kids in the 3rd row only to get rear-ended at highway speeds, and people certainly aren't any getting less distracted at the wheel. Own a 2015 but am looking to upgrade soon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Has anyone seen crash test data for rear-end collisions? Or has anyone been rear-ended in their gen 4?

It's one of my worst fears to stick my kids in the 3rd row only to get rear-ended at highway speeds, and people certainly aren't any getting less distracted at the wheel. Own a 2015 but am looking to upgrade soon.
Rear crash testing isn’t anything that’s done. It’s front, side, and off side impact testing that’s done. However, it should do very well, especially since you have all that space behind the 3rd before the 3rd row would become involved.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Looks like it might do ok based on this video with the Highlander. I believe they are based on the same Toyota TNGA platform. There is also a rear crash test YouTube video on old Sienna. IT IS SCARY. Part of the reason why I didn't want the old Sienna and waited for the new one to come out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rear crash testing isn’t anything that’s done. It’s front, side, and off side impact testing that’s done. However, it should do very well, especially since you have all that space behind the 3rd before the 3rd row would become involved.
This is a test done on 3rd gen. Doesn't instill any kind of confidence if have to have people in the third row. Doesn't seem 4th gen is built all that differently back there

·
Registered
16 Posts
safety is also big to me. Although I’m still waiting, it has been on my mind.
The 3 star rating for driver side safety is also concerning to me.
The ‘23 window stickers don’t show any crash test data yet. I wonder if Toyota has made any updates allowing them to score higher.

·
Registered
523 Posts
This is a test done on 3rd gen. Doesn't instill any kind of confidence if have to have people in the third row. Doesn't seem 4th gen is built all that differently back there
Be careful not to read too much into that test posted. It is a test designed only to test whether a fuel leak would happen in a major rear collision (and the 3rd gen passed the test). A 50 mph crash into the rear is extremely fast (IIHS forward crash tests into barriers are at 35 mph), and the crash "vehicle" is also solid and non-deforming which is not representative of a real car (more like a solid barrier). They also hit it offset, which we know is also a more difficult case. If you look at the images, the end result does look horrific, but if you look carefully, the third row is shifted but not crushed (majority of crush is in the cargo area). Considering the extreme nature of the test, I think it's actually not that bad.

With regards to 4th gen, it's on an entirely different platform. TNGA has been praised for a high increase in chassis rigidity over the 3rd gen.

·
Registered
523 Posts
safety is also big to me. Although I’m still waiting, it has been on my mind.
The 3 star rating for driver side safety is also concerning to me.
The ‘23 window stickers don’t show any crash test data yet. I wonder if Toyota has made any updates allowing them to score higher.
I was trying to find out why the NHTSA rating for the Sienna is much lower than the IIHS rating (which it absolutely aces). As far as I can tell, IIHS should be more stringent since it has some overlap tests not done by NHTSA. Overall, I'm not too concerned. For sure, the 4th gen Sienna is much safer than any minivan from the previous generation of any make.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I watched tons of crash test videos and I even compiled a spreadsheet comparing side impact measurements using IIHS data. I believe the VW Atlas is the only thing safer than the 4th gen Sienna. The Europeans are generally better at safety...Also look at the NCAP ratings.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Unfortunately you will always be safer in a severe rear ending in the middle row, however at least there is some crush distance in the minivans. Some of these more compact 3rd row vehicles and SUV, there is almost no room, from 3rd row to the rear. Much less room than Sienna.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I watched tons of crash test videos and I even compiled a spreadsheet comparing side impact measurements using IIHS data. I believe the VW Atlas is the only thing safer than the 4th gen Sienna. The Europeans are generally better at safety...Also look at the NCAP ratings.
I know some of the crash tests are not comparable, NHTSA 5 star, have to compare vehicles of similar weight. They don't test them hitting other cars, just objects, etc. The first car in Europe to ever be rated 5 stars in all categories for crash protection byNCPA European car was the Renault Laguna in 2001. That car is less than 3,000 lbs curb weight. . The first car in the USA to achieve 5 stars in all crash categories was the new for 2003 Lincoln Town Car. Those have excellent protection and it's very heavy at nearly 4,300 pounds I'd rather be in town car in a head on crash vs the much lighter Renault. more than a half ton difference in weight. If you have a Honda Civic 5 star rated crashes into a full sized SUV at 3 star rating. Person in SUV is most likely going to be in better shape, size and weight matters.

Our Siennas have size and weight, a little heavier than my Town car, van is nearly 4,600+ pounds?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I know some of the crash tests are not comparable, NHTSA 5 star, have to compare vehicles of similar weight. They don't test them hitting other cars, just objects, etc. The first car in Europe to ever be rated 5 stars in all categories for crash protection byNCPA European car was the Renault Laguna in 2001. That car is less than 3,000 lbs curb weight. . The first car in the USA to achieve 5 stars in all crash categories was the new for 2003 Lincoln Town Car. Those have excellent protection and it's very heavy at nearly 4,300 pounds I'd rather be in town car in a head on crash vs the much lighter Renault. more than a half ton difference in weight. If you have a Honda Civic 5 star rated crashes into a full sized SUV at 3 star rating. Person in SUV is most likely going to be in better shape, size and weight matters.

Our Siennas have size and weight, a little heavier than my Town car, van is nearly 4,600+ pounds?
Right that's why I like IIHS test results. It's easier for me to interpret the side test measurements. They ram it with a simulator. There are a lot of little cars that get high ratings but it really doesn't tell me much about getting tboned by an F-150.

·
Registered
2014 Sienna LE
568 Posts
Be careful not to read too much into that test posted. It is a test designed only to test whether a fuel leak would happen in a major rear collision (and the 3rd gen passed the test). A 50 mph crash into the rear is extremely fast (IIHS forward crash tests into barriers are at 35 mph), and the crash "vehicle" is also solid and non-deforming which is not representative of a real car (more like a solid barrier). They also hit it offset, which we know is also a more difficult case. If you look at the images, the end result does look horrific, but if you look carefully, the third row is shifted but not crushed (majority of crush is in the cargo area). Considering the extreme nature of the test, I think it's actually not that bad.

With regards to 4th gen, it's on an entirely different platform. TNGA has been praised for a high increase in chassis rigidity over the 3rd gen.
I found a study that showed that even though they rear crash test only for fuel leakage and not occupant physical safety, the requirements of the fuel leak rear test have made rear crashes much safer than past vehicles from a car compression perspective, as the extra strength is needed for making sure fuel doesn't leak.

That said, it probably would be good to test for rear crash occupant safety. I would hazard a guess they don't because rear impact fatalities and injuries are:
  • Much less frequent and severe than head-on crashes, so it's nowhere near as much of a priority as front and side impact and rollover testing
  • Have been reducing in occurrence and severity with the increasing spread of automatic assistive braking
I wouldn't be surprised as tech improves and cost reduces that automatic assistive braking becomes required safety equipment on automobiles in the nearish future, especially as there is data showing how effective it is in reducing or eliminating rear end crashes. Better to avoid the crash in the first place than make the vehicle better able to withstand the crash (within reason, since everything can fail).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to be unknowledgeable about the different generations- I have a 2017 Sienna and was involved in a rear end collision after my car turned 1. My son was sleeping in the 3rd row, and we had luggage stowed behind him.
we were hit by a truck behind us still going 35 mph when we were stopped..The rear door took all of the impact. But my son and me and my daughter were uninjured..I was thankful to have this van.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know this the wrong year (05) but the “tub” design and body shape are very similar.
I was stopped at a light with cars ahead and behind. The guy behind me decides I should have went (cars in front of me) and he hits my rear at 5 ~ 7 mph. Rear hatch crushed, no way was hatch going to open. Totaled the van. His insurance got me for 2 grand.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Land vehicle Tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Here’s his. Broken power steering hose.

Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille

1 - 17 of 17 Posts