Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I looked at a 2021 Sienna platinum with the rear entertainment option. I found it surprising that the rear entertainment system does not allow for playing discs... I couldn’t find a disc player physically so I checked the source options on the screen and it mentions items like hdmi and a few other inputs but DVD/Blu-ray were not options! Crazy... just wanted to give people a heads up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yesterday I looked at a 2021 Sienna platinum with the rear entertainment option. I found it surprising that the rear entertainment system does not allow for playing discs... I couldn’t find a disc player physically so I checked the source options on the screen and it mentions items like hdmi and a few other inputs but DVD/Blu-ray were not options! Crazy... just wanted to give people a heads up.
DVD + Blu-ray are becoming antiquated IMO. Great that you can screencast directly to the monitor. Also, you can save videos offline on a tablet and send to the screen via HDMI adapter. That’s our plan. We don’t personally own any physical content anymore

·
Registered
60 Posts
I own like 4 dvds. I have hundreds of downloaded movies, including all the disney movies for my daughter/future kids. Not a problem for me, but i'm sure others cough*texas911*cough will have a problem with it haha.

·
Registered
60 Posts
OK noob. This guy just joined 2 months ago and he's already as bad a Toyota Fan Boi as Geezer. At least geezer has history. lol. Of course companies don't want you to buy discs anymore, because then you don't truly own anything, just rent them and keep paying your overlords. The Honda and the Pacifica both have optical disc drives if you order the entertainment options. So there's that.
Ha, that was predictable. Welcome to the future, where some people choose to trade certain things for convenience. Plugging in a USB and streaming the hundreds of movies i have downloaded is more convenient than lugging around discs in my case. That use case may not fit everyone's needs, but it fits mine. You may have a different situation of bad internet speeds at home, or just like the look of DVDs on a shelf.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ha, that was predictable. Welcome to the future, where some people choose to trade certain things for convenience. Plugging in a USB and streaming the hundreds of movies i have downloaded is more convenient than lugging around discs in my case. That use case may not fit everyone's needs, but it fits mine. You may have a different situation of bad internet speeds at home, or just like the look of DVDs on a shelf.
Didnt imagine there would be this much drama on a mini-van forum

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD
54 Posts
Interesting...I kind of just assumed it had a built in disc player, but at least there's a 110v outlet and HDMI port conveniently located behind the center console to hook up an external device to play the discs.

I don't know how convenient the outlet and port will be after they start putting the fridge/freezer in the Platinums though.

·
Registered
514 Posts
My new laptop didn't come with a disc drive either. Then it dawned on me I haven't used the drive on my old laptop for years.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,446 Posts
As long as I keep sufficiently fresh Vaseline on the mainspring of my Edison Cylinder and Victrola disk phonographs, I can seemlessly listen to any of the media (2 minutes on the Edison, and over 3 minutes on the disk player) in my collection without continuous winding! My new Edison Diamond Disk player even has a long use sapphire stylus that keeps the grooves in the thick records in relative decent shape. I hear they should last 100 plays or more without severe degradation in sound quality! Oh how I love this new century!

Reactions: Geezer1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Getting rid of disc players of any kind is the right choice for 2021 and beyond - it simplifies the internals of the head unit. It should have died out 5 or more years ago. Those formats are not meant for cars anyway. USB, SD cards, and stream casting are what matters in this generation.

·
Registered
2009 Metallic Slate Sienna LE
79 Posts
Interesting... does that mean new car OEM stereos are no longer coming with disc drives for CDs either? If vehicles are going to a full disc-less entertainment solution, rear, front, or both; then it should have onboard storage options so that you can load up your music, movies, and images. I just don't want to have to rely ONLY on an external player like a phone or tablet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting... does that mean new car OEM stereos are no longer coming with disc drives for CDs either? If vehicles are going to a full disc-less entertainment solution, rear, front, or both; then it should have onboard storage options so that you can load up your music, movies, and images. I just don't want to have to rely ONLY on an external player like a phone or tablet.
You can load up anything you want onto a thumb drive and leave it in the car with all your movies and music. Even hard disc drives are a thing of the past. Everything is now stored on flash memory.
And since you can get USB drives with over 1 Tb of memory for under $50 bucks, Who needs DVD. But if you did want to bring your collection of movies with you which i can understand, just plug in you own player into the 1700 watt outlet and go to town.

·
Registered
2009 Metallic Slate Sienna LE
79 Posts
You can load up anything you want onto a thumb drive and leave it in the car with all your movies and music. Even hard disc drives are a thing of the past. Everything is now stored on flash memory.
And since you can get USB drives with over 1 Tb of memory for under $50 bucks, Who needs DVD. But if you did want to bring your collection of movies with you which i can understand, just plug in you own player into the 1700 watt outlet and go to town.
Yes, which is why a 2020+ vehicle with an entertainment system should include onboard flash storage. No one said anything about spinning drives. :) There is no reason that it shouldn't have 128+ GB onboard storage AND a microSD card slot. But looks like there are multiple reasons the 2021 Sienna isn't for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello! Can you confirm you can actually use a USB thumb drive in the 2021 Sienna Entertainment? I have a 2016 Limited Premium while we use the blu-ray occasionally I actually loaded a SD card full of ripped movies I put at least 15-20 movies on each SD card and could probably load many more.
Best thing about this is I use Handbrake to condense a blu ray move into a small file (still HD ) with no menu's so the movies or TV shows play one after the other
To me dealing with pulling out your phone or tablet and picking a movie and dealing with .. ok after 20 minutes I have to pick another show or the streaming stops is ridiculous.
at least with the SD card it just keeps playing no hassle I can even just set it up so when I start the car the movies just start playing automatically.. great for toddlers.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD
54 Posts
I bought a Platinum. USB is NOT an available source. If you want to play movies from a USB drive, you'll have to plug it into a separate device and connect to the entertainments system via HDMI or one of the wireless methods, DLNA and Miracst.

So whether your movies are are a disc or a thumb drive, another device is required to connect to the rear entertainment system in the 2021 Sienna.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XSE Awd Tech Package
96 Posts
Using a chrome cast is working for me but for longer trips I'll probably use my micro USB or lightning to hdmi cords and one of my tablets and or phones as the device. A USB port would definitely have been nice. Downside with chrome cast is it uses data while streaming.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought a Platinum. USB is NOT an available source. If you want to play movies from a USB drive, you'll have to plug it into a separate device and connect to the entertainments system via HDMI or one of the wireless methods, DLNA and Miracst.

So whether your movies are are a disc or a thumb drive, another device is required to connect to the rear entertainment system in the 2021 Sienna.
That feels so stupid. You can't even just plug in an iPhone via USB to play something off there right? It'll have to be through an HDMI dongle? Ugh.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts