Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if anyone has posted this anywhere but I have verified that you lose the rear entertainment dvd if you install an aftermarket radio. I put in a pioneer AVH2400BT with XM radio and Ipod controller with an adapter from PAC to use the existing JBL sound system. Also installed the adapter from PAC (PS-SWI) to use the steering wheel controls for the new radio. The installation went pretty smooth. I am amazed how easily the panels come out for access to all the insides of the car.
My question is: Has anyone been successful in getting the rear dvd screen to work without the factory radio. I have found the small black plug that connects to the factory radio is where the dvd gets its signal from to be able to start up. I have pulled the factory radio out after turning on the rear dvd and the dvd still works but once it is powered down it will not start up again.
That black plug gets a 4.7 volt signal from the radio to the rear dvd system but I am not sure if that is a data signal or just straight voltage.
What I want to do is have the rear system for the kids but only with the headphones (wireless or wired) only. I dont need it through the car sound system. The simple but ugly way to do this is to wire the factory radio with power (no output) and connect the black plug to it so the rear dvd turns on.
there seems like there should be a way to just send power to it to get it running but I have not found anyone or anything that addresses this issue.
I did find the 2005 wiring of the Audio system with Nav. I dont have nav so I am not sure the differences. It helps a little but doesnt show any real voltage outputs or inputs.
Thanks for any help or direction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not sure if it's different for 2007, but with mine the rear DVD still works and transmits audio through the headphones after replacing my stereo with an aftermarket JBL nav unit. I got the unit through Crutchfield so it came with an adapter. I'll double check to make sure the DVD is still working, but it did when I was testing it during the install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It must be different somehow, either the JBL radio or maybe the wire harness you have has a plug for the 12 pin black plug from the car. I can always eject and reinsert a disk but the screen never comes on. thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry it's not working for you. Silly question, but I assume you have tried turning on the DVD with the remote on/DVD button?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry it's not working for you. Silly question, but I assume you have tried turning on the DVD with the remote on/DVD button?
Yes, thank you, I did check that. Usually the screen would come on when a dvd was inserted but the screen never powers up. It will load a dvd but nothing else happens. I am doing a searc for the the wiring schematic of the third and smallest plug of the factory radio. It has 12 pins on it but in my van I think there are only 7 or 8 wires on the plug.
thanks for your help. Do you happen to know if your wire harness that you installed with the new radio has sockets for all three plugs coming from the car. The two large white plugs are 20 pin and the third is black with 12 pins.
thanks again.
Scott

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used the PAC TATO 'JBL Amplifier Turn-on Interface for Toyota CANbus Vehicles', and connected it pretty much exactly per its instructions:

Yellow wire of interface to 12 V Constant Power on aftermarket radio
Red wire to Accessory on radio
Balck wire to Ground on radio
Orange/white wire to Dimmer on radio
Red Bullet connector to Accessory
Black Bullet Connector to Ground
RCA connectors to RCA outputs of radio

Then connect interface 24 pin connector to TATO
and connect 8 pin DIN cable to TATO

Then plug the main 20 pin Toyota harness to the matching factory wiring harness

As far as I can remember, there was not a separate socket for the black plug. I followed the directions exactly, except the 2 bullet connectors I snipped off and made 3-way connections with the other accessory and ground wires.

I used a different steering wheel controller - the AXXESS ASWC, so I did not use the 11-pin harness that came with the kit.

Perhaps recheck both accessory and both ground connections?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Allezdada, thank you for your input. After doing some more research I found out that there are some rear dvd systems that were integrated with the front head unit and some that were stand alone or separate. I believe yours must have been a separate system.

I have finally found a solution to my dilemma that will satisfy me. It is not the best way, I admit, but without the proper information it is the only way I can make the rear entertainment dvd work on its own using the wireless headphones.

Here's what I did. I powered up the factory head unit on the bench and did some power checks with the VOM. I found 2.5 volts coming from the 12 pin receptacle that connects to the black plug, specifically pin 9 and 10. These are needed to power up the rear entertainment ecu. Those are the only requirement for it to come online. This voltage is a data output not just dc volts. The ECU needs the information from the factory head unit in order to turn on and allow the dvd system to power up.

My fix is to put the factory head unit (without the black face attached) somewhere in the car. The ONLY place I could find is under the drivers seat in a small hollowed out area. It fit in well and I was able to find accessory power and battery power (always hot) in the wire bundle running under the threshold beside the seat. I needed both hot and accessory power to the #1 and 11 pin on the 20 pin main power receptacle. You could put a "Y" splice from the accessory wire to both connectors but if you do that the head unit would search the cd changer everytime you started the car.

For the data wires (pin 9&10 on the black plug) I ended up just cutting the wires from the plug leaving a couple inches in case I needed to reattach later and splicing in some 20 gauge speaker wire to the two wires. I ran the wires behind the instrument panel and down the left threshold where the power wires were and under a small cut in the carpet just inside the edge of the threshold cover and out the existing hole under the seat. I attached the wires separately to each pin using some connectors that I have accumulated through the years of working on aircraft wiring.

The head unit fit into the little nook under the seat so well I didnt bother securing it and it clears all the movements of the electric seat just fine. I now have a functioning factory rear dvd system on the van that my kids and control with the remote and listen with the wireless headphones. I have yet to test the plugs for wired headphones at the same time but if they work I could have 4 working headphones for that system and allow the driver to use the forward dash mounted Pioneer for our music/movies that will go through the sound system.:D

The included pictures are from the installation of the XM satellite receiver that I installed in the right rear panel directly on top of what I think is the rear dvd ECU. I used velcro to attach it which worked very well and still clears the inside of the panel when installed. Some of the other pics are from the wires that go from the XM to the Pioneer going up the right side door thresholds and under the panel behind the glove box. The antenna cable I ran up the right side and under the overhead plastic panel to the left side of the hatch (no pictures of that). I ran it under the rubber seal and on the the top of the car.
I am quite happy with the results of this install but don't look forward to another anytime soon.
Thanks for taking the time to read and if anyone has the easy answer to the rear dvd system please let me know.
IMG_1085.jpg
IMG_1086.jpg
IMG_1087.jpg
IMG_1088.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow, that's impressive! Unfortunately I couldn't see your handiwork - for whatever reason the attachments don't work for me. Anyway, that was very imaginative - don't know if I would have had the determination or know-how to do what you did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Allezdada
Any issues using the AXXESS ASWC for steering wheel controls? I am installing the same two interfaces (PAC TATO and AXXESS ASWC) and can't seem to get the steering wheel interface to work. Did you cut the wires from the 20 pin OEM plug to access the wires of pin 6, 7, and 8? Thanks for anything you may remember.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did end up cutting the wires of the OEM harness, and connecting the wires was very much a pain just because of how short/thin the wires are. I found out afterwards that there is apparently a harness you can get from the AXXESS people that makes it plug and play - would definitely recommend that, so you may want to call them. Anyway, everything works fine. I can look back through my stuff if you need more details about how I did it, but highly recommend checking out the AXXESS harness.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info... We just picked up our 2008 XLE Wednesday! It's non-JBL with OEM RES. We are thinking of replacing the OEM radio with an aftermarket NAV. Currently, when we turn off the OEM radio, the rear DVD screen turns off. We can also switch to AUX to hear rear DVD and have minimal control of rear DVD (chapter selection... not sure what else). Has anyone confirmed that the rear DVD requires OEM radio? It seems that this would be a more common issue, however, i have searched and cannot find a lot of experience with aftermarket head units and OEM rear DVD. Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Old thread revival...
Very helpful post. I was about to install an in-dash JVC DVD with the hope of 1) retaining the rear DVD (with wireless), and 2) allowing DVDs to be inserted and controlled from the front but also displayed in the back. I was planning on running the aux video from the aftermarket unit to the external patch panel just behind the drivers side second row seat. I'm going to put an o-scope on pins 9/10 from the 12 pin connector and find out what that signal really is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sleidy - Great job analyzing this. I was hunting for some info to replace factory receiver that went dead but keep the overhead dvd alive for resale value only. Nobody watches overhead anymore in this age of iPhone and iPad / video games. I am going to give this a try this weekend and see if i can keep the rear dvd alive. Will update the thread if I could do any better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
pethelman - did you find a better way to interface? Any inputs welcome. I am hooking up Pioneer AVHX5600BHS later this weekend. And i am trying to keep dvd alive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just picked up a used 05 XLE Ltd in very nice condition. The OEM head unit doesn't have aux or usb input, and the nav system is horrid. Would like to replace it with an aftermarket unit and, like others here, retain rear DVD functionality. Any suggestions or insights? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Unless someone has discovered something recently, it looks like the OEM ceiling unit uses something like a CAN-BUS to get power and data from the OEM head unit.

If you still have kids who want to watch DVDs in the back, I suggest you look at getting an aftermarket ceiling unit to replace the stock one. Alpine makes a couple, starting at around $450, they use standard RCA in/out for easy connection to an aftermarket head unit. The Alpine also has a 10" screen and relatively inexpensive wireless headphones. Seems like this would be a big upgrade over the stock unit anyway ... and would let you put what you want in the dash :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great suggestion. One question: I only want to retain rear DVD viewability for resale and I'm not interested in upgrading the system.

Is it possible to find another OEM from a junkyard and self install or will this disrupt the internal system? I've no idea what I'm doing but I'm trying to learn.

Thanks.
Kris

2009 Toyota Sienna XLE

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you aren't planning to use the RSE yourself, then why not go ahead and replace your head unit with what you want, let the RSE become disabled ... and keep the stock unit in storage to put back when you are ready to sell the car?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have Pioneer dvd player in the front and Alpine on rear ceiling. It work very well. I can play dvd on both device.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts