Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently went on a trip and the wife got something out of the back. She said when she went to close liftgate it beepd came back up and made a popping noise at the motor she then closed it amd we weny on .After that it was not aligning properly and the weatherstrip was rubbing on the left hand side. Take it to the dealership to get it aligned and looked at since it's still under the factory warranty and has a certified pre-owned warranty. The dealership informed me that they aligned it the best that they could but that the liftgate was warped and needed to be replaced for $5,000. How can a liftgate be so sensitive to wear the whole thing twist? Has anyone else experienced a issue like this. Needless to say I am sick about it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I would think 1 of the hinges at the top is seized causing this issue. Just guessing.

All hinges and latches need lub to work properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think 1 of the hinges at the top is seized causing this issue. Just guessing.

All hinges and latches need lub to work properly.
Thank you for the input. Everything is mov8ng freely as it should . I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a 5k repair bill when my wife did nothing abnormal

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And now we wait. The dealership contacted me back and said Southeast Toyota will not cover it. I reached out to Toyota of north America and created a case. Not a good look for Toyota

·
Registered
486 Posts
Good idea appealing, or maybe get a second opinion if there are multiple dealers in the area.

"The whole thing's warped and we need $5K to replace it" sounds like they don't know what's wrong and they're blowing you off.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Also try to seek input from a good body shop in your area, preferrably one that deals with Toyota's. You'll be surprised how ingenious some of them can be when it comes to fixing the auto body

Worst Case, if it falls on your dime, this should fall under comrehenive insurance coverage

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
There has been at least one past post from an owner whose hatch door was bent when it was impeded by cargo when latching. Was that what happened in this situation? The phrase "We recently went on a trip" implies carrying luggage, etc. behind the 3rd row seat.

After reading about Sienna warped hatch doors, I've become paranoid about making sure that nothing is going to impede the door closing. I've sometimes had the luggage area piled high with stuff. I've become careful to put hard objects at the bottom of the pile and only squishable soft objects on top. When this is the case, I manually close the door instead of using the power closer watching closely when it is about to latch.

The motorized latch mechanism that wrenches the door shut the final inch seems to be very powerful - powerful enough to bend the door when impeded by cargo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not trying to make excuses but it seems like that if that was the case that something was caught between the door and it pulled the latch tight that some type of sensor would sense it and not allowed to do that almost as if the motor in the latch should be tied in together and know what one another's doing. Just all seems crazy to me

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,166 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So.....Toyota of North America contacted me back and said that they could find no damage to the lift gate however they still will.not cover the repair even though the car is still under the factory warranty. I am now in the process of seeking the van so that I can be done with Toyota all together. Worse customer service I have had in a long time

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
So.....Toyota of North America contacted me back and said that they could find no damage to the lift gate however they still will.not cover the repair even though the car is still under the factory warranty. I am now in the process of seeking the van so that I can be done with Toyota all together. Worse customer service I have had in a long time
If there is no damage to the lift gate then what is the diagnosis? I thought you said that the hatch door is out of alignment. If it isn't damage then it's a vehicle flaw that should be covered by the basic warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel the same way that it should be covered. They said that although there's no visible damage it must have been something I did. One thing I know for sure is that their customer service leaves a lot to be desired

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have a 13 limited AWD, anyways look at when you open it by hand at the rear with no power. if you open it and looking that the latch area look to see if it jumps to one side when you open it if it does its out of alignment. here are the links. anyone having the same issues as the videos? thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have a 13 limited AWD, anyways look at when you open it by hand at the rear with no power. if you open it and looking that the latch area look to see if it jumps to one side when you open it if it does its out of alignment. here are the links. anyone having the same issues as the videos? thanks

[/QUO

The gaps at the top are exactly how mine look. One dealership adjusted it is better but not perfect
Both have said it is twisted though.

Did you adjust yours yourself?

What was your fix?

·
Registered
43 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H4CT7uTsTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV4XqAnktKw[/QUO

The gaps at the top are exactly how mine look. One dealership adjusted it is better but not perfect
Both have said it is twisted though.

Did you adjust yours yourself?

What was your fix?
kinda dumb but i kept pushing up on the right side, without the motor. ill post a video. but seems like to me te left side struts are stronger.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts