Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have the same issue on my 2019 Sienna. Powerlift gate suddenly stopped working (kicks back up when hitting interference on drivers side). Liftgate off the same as described by others above (hitting tail-light drivers side, gaps off) Dealership saying it was damaged somehow and will not cover under warranty. After going around and around with them they pointed out the scuff on the spoiler where the door now its the back of the roof panel as proof something must have come down on the door. When I pointed out the reason for the scuff is that the door is off (not the other way around) they shrugged it off. Contacts through Toyota all proved fruitless. I've always suspected the motor for the power lift (which is located on the drivers side) is too powerful for the hinge assembly due to the nature of the misalignment (it seems tweaked clockwise). We can still close it manually, but weather-stripping is tearing up due to the interference. Sure hope we never have an accident in this tin-foil box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are describing exactly what we experienced. We had no scuff, so Toyota did pay to replace the hinges, hoping that would help. It did not. A body shop was able to realign the door by adjusting the frame and it works again. Clearly, with the number of people having this issue, something is wrong with the door design.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You are describing exactly what we experienced. We had no scuff, so Toyota did pay to replace the hinges, hoping that would help. It did not. A body shop was able to realign the door by adjusting the frame and it works again. Clearly, with the number of people having this issue, something is wrong with the door design.
Since my earlier posts on this issue, I found a 2nd body shop that had some experience with this issue. They'd taken on a repair of the same issue with another Sienna. They said it was a nightmare to address and politely explained that as long as the door could be closed manually, they did not recommend having them try to fix mine. They said it was likely to be expensive and not satisfactory, involving bending the hinges and/or door. They basically said it was due to a flawed design, the power closure motor on one side being powerful enough to bend the hinges. Since the hinges are welded on, the only way to truly restore the gate is to replace the entire thing. On our van, the offset is not enough to cause the gate to hit the taillight, only enough that the power closure does not work. I close the gate by pushing from the left/drivers side, which pushes it over just enough to close smoothly.

I'd love to find a real fix that enables us to use the power closing feature- my wife and daughter find the gate pretty heavy and hard to reach when closing manually. I also worry about the power latch eventually failing due to the slight offset.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since my earlier posts on this issue, I found a 2nd body shop that had some experience with this issue. They'd taken on a repair of the same issue with another Sienna. They said it was a nightmare to address and politely explained that as long as the door could be closed manually, they did not recommend having them try to fix mine. They said it was likely to be expensive and not satisfactory, involving bending the hinges and/or door. They basically said it was due to a flawed design, the power closure motor on one side being powerful enough to bend the hinges. Since the hinges are welded on, the only way to truly restore the gate is to replace the entire thing. On our van, the offset is not enough to cause the gate to hit the taillight, only enough that the power closure does not work. I close the gate by pushing from the left/drivers side, which pushes it over just enough to close smoothly.

I'd love to find a real fix that enables us to use the power closing feature- my wife and daughter find the gate pretty heavy and hard to reach when closing manually. I also worry about the power latch eventually failing due to the slight offset.
The body shop that repaired mine fixed the problem by moving the left hinge location lower using force. It did not appear that the gate itself was twisted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We recently went on a trip and the wife got something out of the back. She said when she went to close liftgate it beepd came back up and made a popping noise at the motor she then closed it amd we weny on .After that it was not aligning properly and the weatherstrip was rubbing on the left hand side. Take it to the dealership to get it aligned and looked at since it's still under the factory warranty and has a certified pre-owned warranty. The dealership informed me that they aligned it the best that they could but that the liftgate was warped and needed to be replaced for $5,000. How can a liftgate be so sensitive to wear the whole thing twist? Has anyone else experienced a issue like this. Needless to say I am sick about it.
Hi! Yes, same situation here. One day I heard a crack sound and from that day on I was very careful to not open the trunk all the way. In a few occasions, it automatically opened all the way up and cracked again. Today, I saw that the right side of the top horizontal edge is lose. I am afraid that will fall off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi! Yes, same situation here. One day I heard a crack sound and from that day on I was very careful to not open the trunk all the way. In a few occasions, it automatically opened all the way up and cracked again. Today, I saw that the right side of the top horizontal edge is lose. I am afraid that will fall off.
The car has serious issue with Lift gate. Even with the latest model I have, I had to go 3 times in a month to get it fixed and still the problem is not solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We recently went on a trip and the wife got something out of the back. She said when she went to close liftgate it beepd came back up and made a popping noise at the motor she then closed it amd we weny on .After that it was not aligning properly and the weatherstrip was rubbing on the left hand side. Take it to the dealership to get it aligned and looked at since it's still under the factory warranty and has a certified pre-owned warranty. The dealership informed me that they aligned it the best that they could but that the liftgate was warped and needed to be replaced for $5,000. How can a liftgate be so sensitive to wear the whole thing twist? Has anyone else experienced a issue like this. Needless to say I am sick about it.
The weatherstrip is not what you think it is. It's a sensor and if anything presses against it DURING CLOSING it will stop. Try it, while the trunk is closing press the sensor strip and it will stop.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts